• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eyecontact

Jordy

So i have heard that you should make about 2-3 seconds of eyecontact. I was at the doctor last week and as he was talking to me i noticed that he definitely made eye contact for longer than 2-3 seconds, more like 6-8 as he was explaining something to me, while i tried to look away occasionally. Should i just try to mimic the eye contact of someone else, look when they look, and away when they do?

Do what is comfortable to you that gets the message across that you are listening. HUA (Heard. Understood, Acknowledged).

When practicing social communication with women, I would use repeated eye contact to judge their level of interest. I enjoyed it when it worked, and I stopped being stressed while doing it.

I used to think I made eye contact just fine until I discovered that eye contact was a difficulty for autistics. That made me start paying attention to myself and how I made eye contact. It turns out, I never make contact - never. I have always looked at the persons mouth/lips and thinking that was eye contact. I will soon be 70 years old and in all that time I have had only one person comment on it.

I used to think I made eye contact just fine until I discovered that eye contact was a difficulty for autistics. That made me start paying attention to myself and how I made eye contact. It turns out, I never make contact - never. I have always looked at the persons mouth/lips and thinking that was eye contact. I will soon be 70 years old and in all that time I have had only one person comment on it.
No one has ever commented on my eyecontact either, but mine is definitely abnormal.

Last edited:
No one has ever commented on my eyecontact either, but it's definitely abnormal.

I'm fine with that. I don't mind being abnormal. I'm abnormal in far more ways than just eye contact.

No one is without abnormalities. No one - not even NT's. Everyone is an individual and there are no two people that are exactly alike - not even identical twins. That means everyone has something abnormal. I have become quite proud to be "abnormal".

I try to make eye contact, as society apparently requires it.

Most people either don't notice or don't comment if I just look at the space between their eyes or at their forehead, which is more comfortable for me than just staring directly into someone's eyes. My wife notices it, though, and has commented on it.

Looking away while you're thinking seems to be acceptable, so if I need a break from a long-eye-contact-conversation, I'll look away like I'm thinking for a second, then resume eye contact.

If you don't like people looking you in the eye, get some alternative contact lenses.

polls_Random_2BWeird_2BPhoto_2BSnaps4_4810_639288_poll_xlarge.jpeg

;)

A portion of my brain is allocated to regulate eye contact in every conversation. There don't seem to be any rules, just a random back and forth, based on discomfort and panic. :eek:

Just do your thing and don't worry about what some NT might think. The other day I was sitting in the office of an audiologist who was explaining things about loud noise and ear plug; I was there to get my ears molded for ear plugs. She had these big eyes, and not particularly attractive. They were "hard" eyes, and she gave me direct contact.

Since I've always done direct eye contact when someone is explaining, I held long contact with her "hard" eyes. I felt like I was staring and not blinking as much; couldn't help it. She had hard eyes, and I had a hard stare into them, where another person might have "soft" eyes that don't bring out my staring.

Why do you care so much what your doctor thinks about how well or not you modulate your eye contact? I didn't give a HOOT if this woman thought my contact was intense or robotic. I spoke to her politely and acted polite. That's all that matters. At times my eyes drifted very briefly between hers, but then back to her left eye for most of it (a few times I went to her right eye).

Don't count seconds. If your eyes are on theirs, they can't accuse you of not listening, being rude or losing interest.

I spent a couple hours talking to someone and I have no idea what color her eyes are - lol I was focused on her glittery purple glasses instead. I can tell you all about her glasses frames.

I only ever pay attention to eye contact in situations where I'm hyper-aware that it's important, such as job interviews - then I'm constantly thinking about if I'm making enough eye contact, or too much eye contact.

I think I either a) avoid eye contact entirely or b) stare like a creeper. I can't seem to find a middle ground, but most of the time I don't worry about it.

We're brought up to believe (at least I was) that eye contact is of the utmost importance...if someone's not making enough eye contact it supposedly means they're lying or up to no good, for example. I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of lying as a child because I wasn't making eye contact.

In reality I think eye contact varies widely, even amongst neurotypicals, and so long as you're not too far off of the average, people don't notice it, or care.

...if someone's not making enough eye contact it supposedly means they're lying or up to no good, for example. I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of lying as a child because I wasn't making eye contact.

There's another way to look at this. Most conversations aren't predicated on being truthful. Yes, there are conversations where honesty is crucial like job interviews. But think about it: MOST conversations with adults and kids aren't about truth vs. deception.

Thus, lack of eye contact makes the person look insecure, easily bullied, easily taken advantage of or pushed around, easily victimized. Who'd want to come across like this??? Not me.

If the stakes are low (such as woman at store asking for the time), I may avoid eye contact because to me, eye contact lets a stranger into my world. And I don't want that.

If the stakes are HIGH, such as two men entering my home to perform a service, then I will give them good eye contact, and I don't care if they think I'm "staring" while listening to them explaining things. I want them to know that nobody messes with THIS autistic woman. The last thing I want, as a woman, is for a man to think I don't know what he looks like, that I'm not aware, or too fragile to meet his eyes. This is how predators screen for a rape victim.

This doesn't mean I go through life nervous that every man I meet is a predator. Of course not. I'm matter-of-fact and confident. But eye contact is my way of establishing my position among people: I'm NOT to be stepped on or scammed. I don't need other peoples' eyes to know their feelings. THEY NEED MINE. Especially in the business world.

Who's going to take you seriously if, while demanding a refund, you avoid eye contact, or if, when telling your neighbor their dog constantly barks, you won't look at them?

Thus, lack of eye contact makes the person look insecure, easily bullied, easily taken advantage of or pushed around, easily victimized. Who'd want to come across like this??? Not me.

If the stakes are low (such as woman at store asking for the time), I may avoid eye contact because to me, eye contact lets a stranger into my world. And I don't want that.

If the stakes are HIGH, such as two men entering my home to perform a service, then I will give them good eye contact, and I don't care if they think I'm "staring" while listeneing to them explaining things. I want them to know that nobody messes with THIS autistic woman. The last thing I want, as a woman, is for a man to think I don't know what he looks like, that I'm not aware or too fragile to meet his eyes. This is how predators screen for a rape victim.

Interesting. I never even thought about that, it might be why I seem to attract abusive people (I'm female, by the way, though it's not immediately apparent in online interactions and I identify as non-binary). I seem to draw narcissists and people-users like a magnet.

Interesting. I never even thought about that, it might be why I seem to attract abusive people (I'm female, by the way, though it's not immediately apparent in online interactions and I identify as non-binary). I seem to draw narcissists and people-users like a magnet.

Yes, it's really something to consider. I've been told I can be intimidating (and when I'd hear this, I didn't know why, but I NOW think it's because of my eyes) -- but I'd rather have it this way than attract people-users.

It's a known fact that lack of eye contact is often the first thing predators (not just physical but scammers) notice when seeking victims. Self-defense experts say never avoid eye contact in a situation that seems threatening. I'd rather force it and feel its chill -- if it means making myself look confident and sure of myself -- then avoid it for comfort but then come across as submissive and vulnerable.

Yes, it's really something to consider. I've been told I can be intimidating (and when I'd hear this, I didn't know why, but I NOW think it's because of my eyes) -- but I'd rather have it this way than attract people-users.

It's a known fact that lack of eye contact is often the first thing predators (not just physical but scammers) notice when seeking victims. Self-defense experts say never avoid eye contact in a situation that seems threatening. I'd rather force it and feel its chill -- if it means making myself look confident and sure of myself -- then avoid it for comfort but then come across as submissive and vulnerable.

I used to be that way in school - I went out of my way to be intimidating so no one would mess with me. I still got bullied, but as an adult I made the conscious choice that I didn't want to be someone who intimidates everyone.

I still don't, so I will be the person who takes predators by surprise instead lol. What I have to work on is spotting predators so I don't fall for their crap.

There isn't any issue about the eye contact in the autistic spectrum. We look around as we like, freely. Doesn't matter if we are in front of another person or talking on the phone.
The matter only has to do with the people of the normal spectrum.
They use their gazes to communicate with each other at the same speed as they speak, which is completely impossible for us.
It is not about looking into the eyes or looking away at a passing bird, but about the impossibility of communicating as they do.

There isn't any issue about the eye contact in the autistic spectrum. We look around as we like, freely. Doesn't matter if we are in front of another person or talking on the phone.
The matter only has to do with the people of the normal spectrum.
They use their gazes to communicate with each other at the same speed as they speak, which is completely impossible for us.
It is not about looking into the eyes or looking away at a passing bird, but about the impossibility of communicating as they do.

Precisely!! Very well put.

For me, eye contact is a masking thing only. There is no communication value for me. However, I never do it anyway. I only look at the persons mouth. The only person that ever commented about it assumed I looked at their mouth due to my hearing issue. I think others assume that as well. Indeed, that is true, but I think I would do it even if I had normal hearing.

New Threads

Top Bottom