• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

express pain - altered sensory thresholds

Kayla55

Anyone else agree with this article, how much is psychological and reactions we receive vs actual ability to express what's happening in our inner world. Why do we bang our heads on walls? Is it fustration?

This is due to communication and methodological difficulties, but also to the late awareness among the medical community of the ability of autistic people to feel and express pain (8, 9). Indeed, this was questioned for decades. Nevertheless, nowadays it is well-accepted that individuals with autism do experience and express pain but in an atypical way (e.g., altered sensory thresholds, hypo- and hyper-responsiveness including behavioral problems)

Thus, far from being trivial, the presence of JH should draw attention and lead to a deeper exploration in order to track associated problems such as ligament and tendon problems, joint dislocation/subluxation, chronic arthralgia/myalgia, fatigue, abnormal stature, autonomic, cardiovascular, ocular, neuromuscular, visceral, auditory, and dental pathologies, etc. (19). These should be considered suggestive of an underlying pathology such as a Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue (HDCTs).

In addition, people with ASD are particularly exposed to pain due to aberrant behaviors such as self-injuries, aggressions, and agitation (13). Conversely, these disruptive behaviors as well as acute behavioral crisis can be manifestations of an underlying pain-associated pathology

Source: Autism, Joint Hypermobility-Related Disorders and Pain

I am somewhat hypermobile, and also I disregard doctors preferring to treat myself with light stretches and exercises (I have the advantage of knowing anatomy and some healing methods from my past). I would say, at least for myself, the fact that I do not at all trust doctors, and even if I trust one, I go only when absolutely necessary, is related to my being autistic. So for me, the correlation between joint pain (especially at 55) and hypermobile joints is strong.

New Threads

Top Bottom