• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Except me, right?

Why do people try to make exceptions of themselves? Like you make the comment, "Everyone makes me feel intimidated." They will also say something like, "Except for me, right?"

My sister, when I told her I was not comfortable in anyone's home, reacted with "Except mine, right?" Not right. She acted insulted when I told her, that included hers. (I didn't point out that hers is one of the most uncomfortable places for me to visit). I included even my kid's homes, which, if anyone, they might would be the exception.

Told my preacher that I'm intimidated by everyone. He says, he hoped not him. Why wouldn't I be intimidated by him - he towers over me, he's someone in charge and I don't know him that well, of course I'm going to be intimidated by him. When I said everyone, why would it not include you?
because I’ve changed I have to think to myself how much will it hurt i’m not at the point where it’s a revelation but I am at the point where I’ve experienced pain
A good way of describing it.
Similar to me.
I always said "don't worry,I'm not going to kill you."
To put people at ease.
just play with you a bit then kill you

I also have a winning smile :)
And now I know what your feet look like
30190C6D-4E59-449C-B752-49E05802E3B4.png

Why do people try to make exceptions of themselves? Like you make the comment, "Everyone makes me feel intimidated." They will also say something like, "Except for me, right?"

My sister, when I told her I was not comfortable in anyone's home, reacted with "Except mine, right?" Not right. She acted insulted when I told her, that included hers. (I didn't point out that hers is one of the most uncomfortable places for me to visit). I included even my kid's homes, which, if anyone, they might would be the exception.

Told my preacher that I'm intimidated by everyone. He says, he hoped not him. Why wouldn't I be intimidated by him - he towers over me, he's someone in charge and I don't know him that well, of course I'm going to be intimidated by him. When I said everyone, why would it not include you?

A more appropriate response to being told by someone that they feel intimidated by everyone would be, “I understand. Is there anything I can do to make you feel more comfortable, or is it just the way you are?” “Except me, right?” is just rude. People in the West can be very self-centered and egotistical. “Everything is about me, I never make mistakes, and I’m always right” is our watchword, and we don’t like when it’s disturbed or challenged even slightly.

Don't you understand? It's because they love you and they want you to love them too. They don't want to make you uncomfortable.

A soft word turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Keeping up morale means not pointing out the faults of others. You can still tell the truth without making others sad. Just reword your sentences, or avoid the subject all together.

It's what the British did during WW2 to keep up morale. "Keep calm and carry on" has many meanings.

The irony of that question is even us thinking of ourselves as on the spectrum, whether we express that openly or not, arguably make ourselves "exceptions" to society. How much are we really rather than just (simply or "simply") different?

Many people like feeling special, important, and that they don't matter and don't do things that aren't immoral for the most part. Maybe, the real question should be "Why Not !?!"

New Threads

Top Bottom