• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Everyone I know is on Spotify?

Cassettes still sell, but they're more of a niche market.

iu

Lynyrd Skynyrd cassette tape from the Civil War. Very rare.

tape.jpg

Last edited:
I hated cassettes. Not only did they sound the worst, but you had to manually fast-forward or rewind songs. They would get tangled up where one of the films would be over on the top.

But I grew up with just using cassettes until 2002 when I finally got a CD stereo system. I even joined a music club and got a bunch of CDs. I also bought Michael Jackson Dangerous three times. Twice on cassette when they got ruined and finally on CD. I still now have them ripped as FLAC on my devices.

Last edited:
I was never bothered by having to rewind and fast forward cassettes, but then again it was basically just like rewinding and fast forward videotapes.

I'm only in my mid-20s but I basically used cassettes until I was 12 years old. Had a portable radio/cassette player and used cassettes were hella cheap at thrift stores. Still got that cassette player, actually.

Then I won an iPod shuffle in a school contest, switched over to mp3s and other digital formats, and haven't bought any physical music in years. Don't think I've ever even bought a CD (I own some but I've never bought any)

I use to record stories about my future life on cassette tapes. I use to force my cousin who does not have ASD to do it. He hated it but I liked it. After a while he refused. I still did it until I reached high school then stopped.

I still remember recording songs on the radio.

Last edited:
I hated cassettes. Not only did they sound the worst but you had to manually fast forward or rewind songs.
Yes, this constant background hiss, and they always sounded dull. Not the best medium. Though at the time, I just wanted to listen to music and didn't care that much about sound quality. I loved that you could record from the radio onto a cassette, or from another cassette. When CDs came along, they were revolutionary and I really liked them. Now I'm back to vinyl, though I still listen to CDs and digital. Digital has to be good quality, FLAC or some other lossless format, though will listen to mp3 if I can't get hold of lossless.

Then there’s the fusion. 1957 radio with a strong hum and a sweet crackle, powered by glass tubes, yet I use youtube and bluetooth to play 1930s music on it and old baseball games. What a world we live in.

1676143325172.jpeg

The quality gap when I accidentally download a low quality mp3 and listen to it after listening to a lossless audio file (or even a higher quality bitrate mp3 file) is always like 'Did I really listen to music like this to save space?'

The quality gap when I accidentally download a low quality mp3 and listen to it after listening to a lossless audio file (or even a higher quality bitrate mp3 file) is always like 'Did I really listen to music like this to save space?'

Not to mention so much horrendous mastering. It makes you want to give up on listening to music...almost. Except classical still has some depth of sound.

I can't listen to mp3's unless they are at 320 kbps which I use for my DI.FM Premium subscription. AAC at 256 kbps I can also listen too on Apple Music on T-mobile and YouTube Music. I can't stand heAAC which sounds terrible.

But I listen to all of my music ripped from CD's I late last years re encoded in FLAC.

I so listen to ALAC on Apple Music on WiFi.

Remember fishing out jammed cassette tapes in my car stereo. Sometimes the tape broke and I'd reconnect them with clear scotch tape. Sometimes there'd be feet of tape all scrunched up- obviously sounded awful.
My brother, dad, and I were big on Reel-to-Reels in the home. Pretty much the best quality sound in the 1970's.
Haven't used Spotify, only 'streaming' music I've listened to were channels on the cable.

I remember buying the most expensive cassette tapes the ones that said metal. They had a major problem that if you tried to tape over them you can still hear what you taped over with the stuff you just taped.

I ended up just buying the TYPE-1 or 2 standard tapes that you can tape over.

I never recorded music off the radio but I did the modern equivalent of literally using Window's built-in sound recorder to record songs off YouTube that I couldn't easily find for online download. (I am possibly the only person who did this)

Don't ask me why I didn't just use a YouTube to mp3 software or website, I was literally 12 years old and I was kind of dumb.

There was at least one song where you could literally hear the noise of me breathing at the start of the song. No I didn't rerecord it, the thought honestly never crossed my mind.

I used to sit vigil with my tape recorder waiting for a song I liked to be played on the radio. That took a lot of patience and time, but eventually it would. But when I had it, it was like gold - I played it over and and over again. Now, music is so easy to find online that the thrill of the chase has diminished somewhat, but finding new music I like is still very satisfying. Instead of waiting for hours by the radio, I now have to sift through often hundreds of mediocre recordings to strike gold.

Spotify is so overrated. I tried it few times, the commercials annoyed me, so I stopped using it. Altogether I had it for a month. Haven't touched it in years. Youtube is where you can get all your music and podcasts(which is the only Google service I use).

Just now two of my yoga teachers use Spotify. One I had to Shazam during class. The other one shared a Playlist with a student again the student used Spotify. It's really annoying that everyone I know used Spotify so I can't share playlists.

New Threads

Top Bottom