• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

End Of An Era: Daniel Day-Lewis

It's not like he didn't already accomplish quite a lot. Also, he does Total Method, which means he lives as the character for months on end.

I've heard that Johnny Depp does that. There was also another actor that I can't recall offhand that used the same method, but he just about went insane from having immersed himself in the character for so long.
Jeremy brett the deceased english actor did it and he had classic bi polar disorder
but he was treated with Lithium
which made him really ill

Indeed, Daniel Day-Lewis is a consummate method actor. Just as is Robert DeNiro. Though sometimes I have to chuckle at this process, remembering something Sir Laurence Olivier once commented on regarding another prominent method actor- Dustin Hoffman.

While they were filming the film "Marathon Man", Olivier's character was a sadistic dentist who was interrogating/torturing Hoffman's character while Hofmann was strapped in a chair.

Hoffmann being the method actor he is decided to enhance the degree of stress he was going through in this scene, having concocted a plan to remain awake for more than 24 hours straight prior to actually filming this particular scene. Unfortunately when it came time for it, Hoffmann messed up take after take. Forcing the production to delay the scene until Hoffmann was alert and awake enough to pull it off.

At the time, Sir Laurence being regarded as one of the world's greatest actors turned to Hoffman in exasperation and reminded him that he's an actor. Saying, "My boy....when you have to act, just ACT!" :p

Needless to say, Sir Laurence was not a method actor. But hey...whatever works for ya. Personally I wouldn't dream of criticizing any of these great actors. o_O

Warning: Grim and torturous scene, but only acting happening.

In tribute to Daniel Day-Lewis: "Bill the Butcher" in "Gangs of New York"

Daniel Day-Lewis as Gerry Conlon forced into a false confession by British police:
"In The Name of the Father"

Last edited:
Yes was previously Freddie in the film adaptation of my fair lady ,his costar in Sherlock Holmes said he never stopped being the character and he WOULDNT take a break
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, but didn't he play Sherlock Holmes?

New Threads

Top Bottom