• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employed again ... Finally

Hey guys! I've begun driving and I like it. The route I've been assigned is a mini bus one. My passengers don't say a word other than hello and goodbye. Basically I work a split shift, 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. It is so nice having a large chunk of free time during the day.

My supervisor told me that I could have this as a regular assignment Tuesday through Friday if I wanted it. Absolutely.

And to top it off, my SSDI claim was approved so I won't be allowed to work more than 24 hours in a week anyway. The job is a win-win situation. Now, I just have to find a way not to alienate my supervisor.
Way to go! :3

Update: Things continue to go well. I got offered a corporate shuttle route Monday thru Friday. 3 hours in the morning/ 3 in the evening. This is better because no one says a word other than hello, good bye, or thank you and it is a 15 passenger van which has a bluetooth radio. And I have my weekends!

All I do is drive people from their office building to the train station. The van is so quiet, I sometimes forget that I even have passengers. This job seems perfect for my autism symptoms. The only downside is there isn't much brain power involved but the low stress and simplicity cannot be beat.

I highly recommend others giving a career in driving a chance if you enjoy it and can do it fairly well. You are the captain of your own ship and you're far away from office/cubicle hell. No social dynamics to figure out and no power structure to navigate.

Update: Things continue to go well. I got offered a corporate shuttle route Monday thru Friday. 3 hours in the morning/ 3 in the evening. This is better because no one says a word other than hello, good bye, or thank you and it is a 15 passenger van which has a bluetooth radio. And I have my weekends!

All I do is drive people from their office building to the train station. The van is so quiet, I sometimes forget that I even have passengers. This job seems perfect for my autism symptoms. The only downside is there isn't much brain power involved but the low stress and simplicity cannot be beat.

I highly recommend others giving a career in driving a chance if you enjoy it and can do it fairly well. You are the captain of your own ship and you're far away from office/cubicle hell. No social dynamics to figure out and no power structure to navigate.

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you in terms of finding employment that meets your needs and would also like to thank you for sharing about it on the forums. :)

Well done! :)

With your insurance, you have options to be able to find people to help you cope with troubles you might run in to.

Congrats on your job. I'm still going through the process of trying to find something suitable. I have mild autism and some social anxiety but my main issues are multi-tasking & auditory processing but am working on finding something that will suit my abilities.

I wouldn't want a job with driving because although I'm a good driver, I feel like it's risky business enough without worrying about driving someone else around. But if it works for you, great! Are you making decent money at it. Thats my thing. I am job hunting, but while I want it to be something manageable for me, I also don't want a menial low pay job that I can't make a living at. Which is why I'm trying Toyota.

My friend, there is no such thing as a menial job. You could say I have one but I take an heir of gratitude. I'm grateful for the opportunity to help people get where they need to go who could not otherwise afford it. I don't believe that any job is menial.

Furthermore driving is not as risky when you are properly trained and credentialed. I hold a commercial driver's license and I went to school for it.

After my breakdown and subsequent hospitalizations, I've learned a lot. Namely that money and status doesn't equal happiness but having gratitude sure does. I make 14.30 an hour and I get to help people.

I do not care about a decent living because my sense of self is no longer tied up in a job. I'm astounded that I get paid what I do to do what I do.

Do you know really what you want to do?

Well I'm glad it's working out for you! For me, I know the things I'm good at, artistic, counseling, answering phones, but unfortunately there are no jobs in those areas. I went to school for criminal justice and got my degree in it, and had hoped to work with crime victims and social services, but that hasn't worked out, so am looking into security jobs now, which pay fairly decent too. I'm looking at Toyota too because it's good paying and I don't want to live at home the rest of my life and I want to be self sufficient and earn a living on my own and be able to afford groceries and a car to get to and from work and other places. Those things can't be done with minimum wage jobs. So I'm looking at the assembly line jobs and security and whichever one seems the best fit after interview process, I'll take it!

It's important from a practical perspective for me to earn a decent living because practically speaking, to afford an apartment, rent, food, clothes, car payments, and student loans, I need something that pays decent but also something that is a good fit for me. All my friends work and have their own places, and cars, etc, and do for themselves, and I want the same for myself. I've already applied for a bunch, so hoping something pans out soon I am optimistic!

New Threads

Top Bottom