• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employed again ... Finally

wanderer03

Yesterday I got hired as a part time bus driver for Krapf in PA. They only hire part time. I have a CDL A but just need training to drive a bus because I don't have a passenger endorsement. Happily they agreed to provide the training. I will start pending the outcome of the background checks.

Despite the good news, I'm melting down today. I'm worried that I forgot to mention something or a small detail that might disqualify me. I'm wracking my brain to see if there is anything I forgot.

I'm also nervous because of the unkowns. Will I be able to handle working with the general public again? What happens if I have an unruly or intoxicated passenger?

I know the rational mind says that there will be a policy to help but I've always struggled with policy grey areas. So, yeah, I'm having a meltdown. I know I can safely handle and drive a large vehicle.

Gaaahhh! Thanks for listening.

Yesterday I got hired as a part time bus driver for Krapf in PA. They only hire part time. I have a CDL A but just need training to drive a bus because I don't have a passenger endorsement. Happily they agreed to provide the training. I will start pending the outcome of the background checks.

Despite the good news, I'm melting down today. I'm worried that I forgot to mention something or a small detail that might disqualify me. I'm wracking my brain to see if there is anything I forgot.

I'm also nervous because of the unkowns. Will I be able to handle working with the general public again? What happens if I have an unruly or intoxicated passenger?

I know the rational mind says that there will be a policy to help but I've always struggled with policy grey areas. So, yeah, I'm having a meltdown. I know I can safely handle and drive a large vehicle.

You know that you can safely drive the bus, I would not worry about the unknowns until you have to. Then just follow policy. It sounds to me like you got this.

Congratulations on being hired!!! :)

I know the woes of finding a job, so very much congratulations on getting started again! I also wouldn't worry about grey areas right now. Just make sure you learn the policy from heart and once you have that you can use it to judge grey situations according to your own judgement. :)

Last edited:
I know the woes of finding a job, so very much congratulations on getting started again! I also wouldn't worry about grey areas right now. Just make sure you learn the policy from hard and once you have that you can use it to judge grey situations according to your own judgement. :)
That seems to be my classic weakness but your advice is sound. At least there is video surveillance on the bus to protect the driver. Hard to refute video evidence.

That seems to be my classic weakness but your advice is sound. At least there is video surveillance on the bus to protect the driver. Hard to refute video evidence.

If there is video surveillance then even better! You can always say 'I stuck to policy'. But yeah I can understand why learning the policy in the first place is sometimes difficult. Personally I learn best through first hand experience. Maybe you can adapt the information in a way that is easiest for you to digest?

If there is video surveillance then even better! You can always say 'I stuck to policy'. But yeah I can understand why learning the policy in the first place is sometimes difficult. Personally I learn best through first hand experience. Maybe you can adapt the information in a way that is easiest for you to digest?
How so?

Some people learn best through reading, others through seeing it (like a documentary) or hearing it (lecture). I've had a friend who learned her way through college by making rhymes of her material. I usually make abbreviations of procedures. I try to sum up steps of a procedure in one word and see if they words make an abbreviation. Uhm... like with one college course they actually did it for us. They wanted us to write down our goals for the course in a 'SMART' way. SMART stood for a Specific goal, that is Measurable (through say data or literally a ruler). It would have to be Acceptable for the teacher and Realistic to achieve. Lastly we had to give a Timeframe for the goal to be achieved.

Maybe some of the policy guidelines you can shorten that way and then through experience deepen them. Try to figure out which way is easiest for you to remember something and try to adept the material to that way?

Thank you! Yesterday, I had the physical and drug test. That was a huge relief as I don't particularly like being touched by strangers.

The child abuse clearance came back free and clear. Now, I'm just waiting on the FBI fingerprint check and I believe I will be able to get started in training.

Congratulations on the job!

Just getting back to work myself, I know that emotional release. Awesome!

I am an electrical lineman. We contract construction and maintenance work from power companies.

That's a lllllloooooottttt of climbing!:flushed:

I like my fiberglass bucket.:rolleyes:
The bucket is nice, lol. I won't make a killing driving a bus but at least my job will be relatively stable. I'm not very good with hand tools and I'm out of shape so cell tower maintenance is a pipe dream.

New Threads

Top Bottom