• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotions

Soleil

I feel like I'm really bad with emotions.

For one thing, I get really anxious and stressed when the people around me aren't happy. Even total strangers; if I hear someone being angry, or see someone crying, I get stressed out. Maybe I feel a little guilty about being in a good mood when they're not?

I also have trouble expressing my emotions. If my friend is upset, I want to comfort him, but my real reaction isn't empathetic enough. I can say things like, "oh, that sucks", but it feels kind of exaggerated.
Same thing when I'm expressing gratitude for presents. If I don't exaggerate my gratitude (like "oh, thanks!") then I think I come off as a bit uncaring. But I also don't want to exaggerate too much, or I'll seem sarcastic.

Personally, I have difficulty modulating my emotions. It seems they are all or none. I feel them. Just cannot control them once they are let out. I spend a lot of mental energy on keeping my emotions at bay. I have never,...never, had a good experience with my emotions. I just keep things in a neutral state whenever I can.

Other people's emotions do rub off onto me. Not just returning anger for anger - why I try never to do.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the same difficulty. I sense other people's emotions, but don't know what to do about it, and trying to express an emotion can seem fake. Communicating in writing is better, and using emojiis to convery the emotion that you wish to convey can help.

No, you mean sympathetic is what you struggle with, because that is actually short term emotional response.

Empathy is feeling what the other person feels, so you want to make their live a bit easier.

I am terrible with sympathy, because it does feel forced.

I find it difficult to know and name what is going on for me at the time.
Like 30 minutes later to a day or two later i will work it out.

I struggle with emotions all around, and this is common for neurodivergent people.

I pick up on others emotions (not necessarily accurately) although I don't know what to do/respond appropriately. Upset people for instance make me angry...seeing their distress makes me uncomfortable, and that makes me angry. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work.

I also have a really hard time parsing out my own emotions. I feel something, but I'm not sure what it is, or why I feel it. I can spend an inordinate amount of time hyperfocusing on issues just trying to figure out what I'm feeling and why. It's like a guessing game..."maybe I'm feeling this? *explores that* Nope, it wasn't that. Maybe this? Not that either. I know! It's this. Nope...darnit..well how about..."

I struggle with all logical vs all emotional responses. The vast divide between them leaves me feeling weird. With age, l am more comfortable adulting (logical choices with a empathic toliet seat cover). Because my life feels like BS about 99% of the time. lol.
I am more accepting of my emotions. Finally.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom