• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emotions and Logic - is it me?

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone watched a tv series on Netflix called "Atypical" ? About a teenage boy with asd trying to get a girlfriend. There are only about 8 episodes

Hmmm, yes... movies. My avatar is from a movie.

I totally agree with @WereBear, the emotion they use behind the logic... just sucks.

Those long running fictional dramas ("The 100" on Netflix (have watched, barely hung in there), and maybe Game of Thrones (haven't watched, so I'm guessing)) are always about the logic behind "protecting someone" by hiding the truth from them. Which always backfires and the protection does not occur. And then later the "protectee" always finds out and then the "protector" gets another backfire. :mad:

Don't the writers have any more talent than that? Yeah, I get that there's emotional tension created, and it gives them a theme for a few episodes, keeping you on the edge of your chair... but come on. You can do better. :eek:

Another thing along this line is Netflix's Chinese drama "Singles Villa". It was watchable. But then later in the series after the girl hooks up with the love of her life, the girl wants to "protect" the love of her life. She breaks up with him to "protect" him from learning a secret about his family. Because that would devastate him. Yeah right. He found out the secret and he could live with it. They get back together and live happily ever after. Geez. :rolleyes:

One possible solution: go to a film festival and check out the "World Cinema" category. It's awesome. No crap trying to please the Hollywood bosses. You will find a lot of gems in there, including love stories that don't have this messed up "logic." A friend of mine does the programming for Calgary and they weed out the crap by watching 200 movies so you don't have to, and they find the good ones and put them in the festival. Can't make it to the festival? Just go to the web site and look up the films. Some of them can be bought, watched on Netflix, or illegally downloaded. Yes, I know that's not condoned. But for those of us who don't live in New York city or Los Angeles or can afford to travel to the festivals, it's sometimes very hard to find these films. On the bright side: lately Netflix and Amazon are in bidding wars after each film festival to pick up the best films, so they are becoming more and more available. But then... I have Netflix Canada which has such a poor selection compared to Japan or US. :confused:

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone watched a tv series on Netflix called "Atypical" ? About a teenage boy with asd trying to get a girlfriend. There are only about 8 episodes

I haven't seen it. I was avoiding it because they might misrepresent a broad number of topics about being ASD. Has anyone watched it, and can you comment?

I'm pretty cynical about them being able to portray this properly. :(

If no one can say, I'll volunteer to give it a watch.

It brings up this: last week I watched a Chinese drama where the person was shunned as crippled and defective! His issue: he had gotten a hearing aid. :mad: Are mainland Chinese really that f'ed up? Not the ones I know. And yeah, if they can write crap like that, can they treat ASD properly? I'm hopeful. Cautiously hopeful.

This is a great thread.
I'm terrible for picking out mistakes and problems with TV shows and films. Game of thrones is crammed to the brim with issues for me.

Don't get me wrong somebody it is great. I do like fantasy and sci-fi, but can't help it.
The white walkers: they'r meant to be an ancient, all conquering magical force of zombie raisers, but can't cross a bit of water to kill the protagonist.

Or after a major cliff hanger; the following episode they show the scene just after they escaped.. yayyyy they survived. (how? They were over there when this happened and then that happened... and such a such) conclusion- can't have happened that way. Even though it couldn't anyway cause it's magic and dragons and all that. But lazy writing, under the carpet, was away BS. Drives me bananas.

I actually rather like sci fi movies, which are about the only ones I really like. I never really liked a lot of TV or movies, preferring to read books instead. Maybe the fact that the sci-fi is so unrealistic or unimaginable that there isn't as much focus on the logic to it because it is already thrown out the window. Hadn't really thought about it before now but its the only genre other than documentary or reality tv show that usually holds my interest.

What bugs me is when watching tv or movies is the little things like people walk into a house and no one closes the front door. Or a character that is a bit OCD about cleanliness and has been stated having it before just goes to bed leaving the living room a mess and front door unlocked. Or a character gives an opinion in one episode but later in the season does the exact opposite of their own opinion. I guess it saves time to not have characters close the door and just move into the next scene but I just keep wondering through the rest of the episode if anyone ever closed the door or if they went to bed with it wide open lol.

Or walk away from a car with it's lights on. I just want to yell at them," Your battery is going to go dead !"

Thing is, bad movies can be a hit, too. They might even have more of a chance because they don’t have to be good, they just have to evoke the right emotions.

Flashdance was THE romantic movie hit, once upon a time. And it was utterly senseless. She welded by day and danced in a sleazy bar by night? When did she sleep? And she’s in this enormous loft… in a winter climate. One of the jobs is just to pay for her heat, I guess.

She gets rejected from her dream of studying dance because she doesn’t do ballet… so what is she going to study at this academy she wants to get into so much? If she can afford heat in a giant apartment she could afford to take classes, couldn’t she? If the whole point was for her to study dance even though she is talented, take a few classes and do what they want from her. No, instead, she beats against a brick wall to make them see things her way. Which they do, because this is a movie.

I’m terrible for picking apart tv shows and movies. I’m also always trying to solve the show / movie based on the clues embedded within the narrative.

[SPOILER ALERT]

Alien Covenant: Why would you step foot on an unknown planet without equipment to protect you from unusual life forms. I would have preferred if the crew were in full hazmat protective gear and the nasty alien microbe penetrated the suits and take them over.

Also it’s stated that David has been working on manipulating the alien life form from the Prometheus Movie. Yes he’s an android but I somehow doubt he had the training/knowledge to be a geneticist nor did he appear to have futuristic technology to allow him to manipulate the alien organism. It was purely a BS justification for why the aliens have changed. It could also have been stated that the alien organism was designed to change with each host, so no manipulation was required.

I actually rather like sci fi movies, which are about the only ones I really like. I never really liked a lot of TV or movies, preferring to read books instead. Maybe the fact that the sci-fi is so unrealistic or unimaginable that there isn't as much focus on the logic to it because it is already thrown out the window. Hadn't really thought about it before now but its the only genre other than documentary or reality tv show that usually holds my interest.

What bugs me is when watching tv or movies is the little things like people walk into a house and no one closes the front door. Or a character that is a bit OCD about cleanliness and has been stated having it before just goes to bed leaving the living room a mess and front door unlocked. Or a character gives an opinion in one episode but later in the season does the exact opposite of their own opinion. I guess it saves time to not have characters close the door and just move into the next scene but I just keep wondering through the rest of the episode if anyone ever closed the door or if they went to bed with it wide open lol.

I'm in a similar rut. I can't enjoy realistic entertainment at all. Novels, movies, TV shows, plays nothing realistic works because I see issues with their logic. I have such a hard time watching Shameless, because I know these people are going to ruin whatever good thing happens to them. They mess up every amazing opportunity. Instead of the show allowing characters to conquer challenges and grow and shift the focus... They ruin their opportunities and don't try to better themselves.

Fantasy and sci-fi on the other hand, logic doesn't work (most of the time) because their reality is different than mine, and so my logic as an observer is different than theirs. I just can't do the same for real life.

Historical stuff makes me angry, because you see the flaws in logic and get made at how dumb these people were to do these awful things

I'm in a similar rut. I can't enjoy realistic entertainment at all. Novels, movies, TV shows, plays nothing realistic works because I see issues with their logic. I have such a hard time watching Shameless, because I know these people are going to ruin whatever good thing happens to them. They mess up every amazing opportunity. Instead of the show allowing characters to conquer challenges and grow and shift the focus... They ruin their opportunities and don't try to better themselves.

Fantasy and sci-fi on the other hand, logic doesn't work (most of the time) because their reality is different than mine, and so my logic as an observer is different than theirs. I just can't do the same for real life.

Historical stuff makes me angry, because you see the flaws in logic and get made at how dumb these people were to do these awful things

I hear you @Spencer Carr . If you want a little reality with your Sci Fi, check out The Expanse TV series. I was blown away by the realistic handling of "what happens when the gravity goes away and you're involved in a space battle and you get pierced by a piece of shrapnel..." and then the gravity turns back on.

No. Well, this just tells me that because you are intelligent enough to spot such flaws, you would make a better movie director than the movie director.

New Threads

Top Bottom