• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Embracing autism

ucrenegade

V.I.P Member
Since about 7th grade I have been in the work force doing different jobs,never knew I had autism till 3 years ago. I have always had to work extra hard and was often tired after work didn't realize I was doing a thing called masking. Anyway the point of the rambling is once I embraced my autism and got a job coach it's been mentally hard for me to get out of masking.

For example at work I have 3 soda coolers to fill which most people may only take a hour but embracing the autism and forcing myself to slow down it takes me a hour to fill one cooler and even though I say I can move faster and feel like I am failing I have to remind myself I don't need to mask anymore and it's better health and mental wise to go at the pace I am physically comfortable more than mentally. If that rambling makes sense.

Tbh rushing and masking is a recipe for disaster, take it from me. I have an unmanageable workload in my job and so I do a lot of unpaid overtime and rush a lot. I make a lot of mistakes and get told off on a daily basis.

Ed

This is something I need to work on. I've been doing it so long and got so good at doing it and faking it that it's become second nature to me to do so.
Something I'm working on with my psychologist. Think what also makes it difficult is that here in RSA there is little to no support, making me even more apprehensive is that the awareness is just as bad, the reply from someone is usually, "Oh can you get meds for it" or "They can cure that for you"

Don't like being marginalized for having it. People are trying to talk me out of this lifelong thing. It's you are a female, you can do anything. No l can't. I have to watch what l say. I don't truthfully care about social conventions but mask well enough to get by.

Could you fill those 3 soda coolers in an hour?

Given you feel like you are failing by slowing down, I suspect you could.

Most people are tired after a day's work, particularly someone who is moving goods. I worked in a Walmart for three weeks at age 53 stocking groceries, and I was bushed at the end of the day.

I don't get how if you are mentally comfortable working at a 3 coolers per hour pace you think that is masking. Is your job coach telling you to be less efficient than your potential?

Could you fill those 3 soda coolers in an hour?

Given you feel like you are failing by slowing down, I suspect you could.

Most people are tired after a day's work, particularly someone who is moving goods. I worked in a Walmart for three weeks at age 53 stocking groceries, and I was bushed at the end of the day.

I don't get how if you are mentally comfortable working at a 3 coolers per hour pace you think that is masking. Is your job coach telling you to be less efficient than your potential?

Your missing the point could I do it surefor a week or two but then my mind and body would start wearing out. You might not get it but I am sure other autistic people do.

New Threads

Top Bottom