• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Electrical Frequencies

Haven't thought of analog clocks ticking because I don't have any at home other than my watch which normally goes into a drawer. Yeah- that ticking....arghhhhhh! :eek:

Tonight is a hot one in the Pacific Northwest. That means fans in my house on at full blast right now while I'm trying to sleep. Yeah. It's like trying to sleep in a paper mill.

At certain times I can hear certain noises others cant.
electric, gas burners whistling, water taps hissing, vibration along power cords.

At other times I believe it's inside my own body.
I appear to have a symphony going on.
Tinnitus, carotid artery, various creaks, snap, crackle, pop, grind and thunk of joints and vertebrae and the loudest of all, palpitations.

I'm capable of occasionally associating sounds with certain actions, for example,
feeding the cats.

I follow the same routine or pattern, I expect the cats to do the same thing they've always done,

So when I 'hear' the cat pawing at the door to be let into the room to eat her food,
and I open the door to discover
no cat, just empty space.

I've imagined I could hear her because our process/routine has followed the same pattern each day for 11 years. At a certain point in our routine she paws at the door like clockwork.

similar with the mass reduction in air and road traffic during lockdown.
largely noticeable due to its absence.

The things almost everyone can hear is vibrations resulting from Voltage conversion using coils (which essentially are electromagnets) in high power transformers and "coil whining" in graphics cards. Generally current matters more than actual power on this one, and how well tightened everything is in the area.

And most of the things I hear and other autistic people I know report appear to come from this class of devices too, which does happen in most power bricks and specific places in complex electronics.

Now, price bound companies designing this stuff on a schedule, often in poorer countries because outsourcing there is more and more possible - chances are they don't really get more sensitive people or highly sensitive audio equipment and spend resources making redesigning their stuff as quieter and having to spend 10 cents more per unit on accomadating the most sensitive 2 percentiles of the population, and if it is loud in a higher frequency than most people can even hear probably nobody even notices.

Last edited:
There is a water pick that I got a few months ago, and it has a terrible high-pitched sound when turned on. No one else has ever heard it, but to me it’s almost painful. Same with older TV’s. They are constantly whining in my ears. I’ve learned to tune it out somewhat, but it still bugs me. I have the same reactions to any noise at night. If I have a fan or a clock, then it’s nearly impossible for me to sleep. I can also hear my phone charge, although it doesn’t bother me too much.

New Threads

Top Bottom