• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dysrationalia - are aspies somewhat immune?

MrSpock

Live long and prosper
Thanks to @WildCat for posting this link (more competently) in another thread.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...onal-thought-the-thinking-that-iq-tests-miss/

There was obviously a time when I did not know enough to understand those puzzles, but there wasn't a time when I would have misunderstood them, these rules for information processing have always seemed intuitive to me. They seem to me not a result of human learning, but an inevitability, a result of the impossibility of things being otherwise.

I wonder if others here have had the same experience. At the age of ten (I may have been like this earlier) I can remember having adults try to tell me things in contradiction of logic and having no doubt in the fact that they were wrong, even if I did not know the truth of their premise or conclusion I had no doubt of the invalidity of their reasoning process.

This touches on what @Propianotuner had to say about logic in his thread 'Do you keep an open mind?'. (Warning, it was blasphemous!) I used to assume that others also took these things for granted, it was at about the same time (age 10) that I realised that this was not so. I am curious to see him undermine logic, but am not up to that thread just yet. Am rather stressed, and my mind isn't at it's sharpest. For the purposes of this thread I would like to assume that logic is no illusion.

I can understand the cognitive miser making mistakes and being employed legitimately, as there is simply too much going on to fully analyse everything. My default seems to be to use the miser only when necessary and to think things through fully when time allows. Again, I'm interested to know if other aspies have similar experience.

Yes, people are cognitively lazy, and take the path of least concentration. Politicians thrive on it. That's what propaganda is all about, providing people with ready-made opinions so they don't have to think for themselves.

What I'm more concerned is the concept of abuse of rational thought. A person with autism could be convinced with a rational-sounding argument that makes sense, but the reality is that the party (or other parties) employing the argument are out to abuse.

Yes, people are cognitively lazy, and take the path of least concentration. Politicians thrive on it. That's what propaganda is all about, providing people with ready-made opinions so they don't have to think for themselves.

"Yes we ARE all individuals." ....

:)

There was obviously a time when I did not know enough to understand those puzzles, but there wasn't a time when I would have misunderstood them, these rules for information processing have always seemed intuitive to me. They seem to me not a result of human learning, but an inevitability, a result of the impossibility of things being otherwise.

I wonder if others here have had the same experience.

Nope, never. The question about Jack, Anne and George I got wrong (chose option C). Rather than being a "miser", maybe I'm just not terribly bright. The belief that those who are "on the spectrum" all (without exception) understand and value logic may perhaps be nothing more than that - a belief - but is it really true, or are we all just being "cognitively lazy" when we make that assumption?

New Threads

Top Bottom