• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dyslexia?

I don’t have dyslexia, but on my autism diagnosis it was noted that my visual perception falls significantly below my cognitive thoughts. The most prime example I could give was when I was in scouts 10 years ago, and everyone was commenting on the pants belt the stereotypical trouble maker was wearing. I didn’t see the big deal, it was black and white in a zebra stripe looking pattern, all evening everyone was baffled that I was completely oblivious to the raunchy, suggestive line drawings on that belt.

Otherwise I’ve moderate color blindness, which makes my job with its importance on color coding.... sometimes tricky.

What drives me crazy is that I can program a computer, understand and create electronics projects, yet I hurt myself by the stupidest means. What makes me upset is that I was assessed with a 140 IQ, yet I keep hurting myself through this distortion field and I don't understand why. I feel like crying right now because I don't understand this and I want to...I watch videos to explain it, but still frustrated.

I have dyslexia. I have had similar experiences using a stove however I did not burn myself.

I program computers, I can build a PC, and have success with many kinds of projects, yet I need to watch where I am focusing my attention constantly.

I encourage you to be kind to yourself. You are gifted. The task is to better manage your gifts. That would involve appreciating these liabilities that your gift creates. It takes practice to train your thought patterns to pay attention to trivial details your creative thinking would be inclined to ignore.

I hope that this advice resonates with you.

John

I have my stove burners memorized (at least my favorite one lol) so I know which knob to turn and don't need to look at the pictures. Some of those indicators are unnecessarily confusing! (My stove has a light that comes on when a burner is on too. It's an electric stove, I wouldn't know what to do with a gas stove. I'm so used to electric at this point I don't think I'd want to switch.)

I don't have enough of a deficit in any one area to count as dysgraphia or dyslexia, etc. but I do tend to get things mixed up. I'll mean to say one thing, and what actually comes out of my mouth is the opposite for example. (What's worse is that I hear myself say what I *meant* to say...not the rude thing I actually said. So people will ask me to repeat myself and I'll repeat the rude thing again, and again I will hear what I meant to say, and not what I actually said!!! Sometimes I'll say something and people will start laughing and I'll catch on and ask them what I just said because I know I must've screwed something up lol.)

I get my right hand and my left hand confused with each other on a regular basis.

I have a tendency to transpose numbers, although I'm generally good at math, good enough that I can excel at a skilled labor position that requires a lot of math.

I do have difficulty reading signs and the like...this seems to be getting worse as I get older. Of course, many signs are written in "decorative" fonts that are very hard to read anyway. I routinely find myself thinking that a sign says something completely different than what it actually says until I look at it for a while.

As a child I devoured books though - if I had any time to myself at all, my nose was in a book. I got in trouble for reading when I wasn't supposed to, and I was one of those kids who would read while walking down the hallway (and walk into things). I read at lunch, at recess, between classes, at home. I was always reading.

Typical symptoms of dyscalculia include

difficulty counting backwards.
difficulty remembering 'basic' facts.
slow to perform calculations.
weak mental arithmetic skills.
a poor sense of numbers & estimation.
Difficulty in understanding place value.
Addition is often the default operation.
High levels of mathematics anxiety.

I have trouble putting words in the correct order or finding the sequence in what comes first and what after.
Today i had to write the refereneces in alphabetic order and it took me so much time. My mind could not find fast which letters come first and which after. Is that a part of dyslexia?

i have dyscalculia and dysgraphia.

I don't have dyslexia but I do have dyscalculia and dysgraphia and I often mix up my directions. I am pretty sure that learning disabilities are pretty common within autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom