• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dyslexia?

Storm Hess

Permanent Spaceman
I just burned my hand on a plate that was set on a burner and I mistakenly turned on that burner under the plate. I swear I was igniting the proper burner, but my brain inverted the stove symbols and I lit the burner underneath the plate. Not understanding why the water wasn't boiling underneath the pan, I kept trying to ignite the burner that the pan was over....I kept trying to start the burner, but the burner was already on, heating up the plate....then I grabbed it. I swear I was starting the proper burner....nope. I grabbed the plate and burned my fingers badly...now typing with one hand, whilst soaking my left hand in freezing water. I remember having subtle 'slips' with dyslexia, but not this bad.

Aspergers and Dyslexia - comorbidity? Anyone else?

I'm sure that dyslexia can be a comorbidity to autism as well as any other diagnosis.

I know many people, including my NT brother, who are dyslexic. He never liked to read anything other than engineering instruction manuals, always wrote certain letters and numbers backwards, took a long time to learn to read, but became an engineer in the aerospace industry and retired just last month. He once told me that the only work of fiction he ever read was a childhood book about a mouse called Stuart Little because reading was so hard for him. Fortunately, he is good at math. :)

Take care of that burn!

yuh, I can be incredibly stupid around new gadgets, do not have a machine/tech/engineering brain. lived thru too much change of tech to wanna know about more.

Absolutely, I look at the symbols on the back of the stove related to the burners:

O O
O O

The red one is the one that is to be turned on. I've used stoves since I was young. And have at times reversed that image somehow flipping it.

O O
O O

And yet five minutes ago, fixed my computer, which was making noise, by tracing all the connections to the motherboard. Realizing that the tech somehow connected one of the cables to an old cd drive that does not work. That was the noise. Then I cleaned one of the main fans. It's quiet again.

How I can do one thing in reverse and another more complex thing easily, has continually perplexed me throughout my life.

Last edited:
I always put a pot holder on the handle of pots and skillets on the stove to remind me that it might be HOT. I've burned myself too many times by casually grabbing a handle.

yuh, I can be incredibly stupid around new gadgets, do not have a machine/tech/engineering brain. lived thru too much change of tech to wanna know about more.

It is disconcerting at the least to consider there was a previous era void of anything indicative of "2.0" this and that. Now technology moves so quickly it's enough to make your head spin.

What drives me crazy is that I can program a computer, understand and create electronics projects, yet I hurt myself by the stupidest means. What makes me upset is that I was assessed with a 140 IQ, yet I keep hurting myself through this distortion field and I don't understand why. I feel like crying right now because I don't understand this and I want to...I watch videos to explain it, but still frustrated.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 143 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200 You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 16.13.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 16.13.02.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 93
What among other Learning disabilities shuch as in this case possible dyslexia does is mess with youre mind. So you're brain interprets say a on to a of, No to yes. or something that really isent even written etc.... , or as in my case as i also have Dyscalculia mix up the nrs say you see 12 when its is actually 21.

Like in our NP diagnosis IQ dont matter im afraid its the levels of our diagnosis as well as wich if any learning disabilities. You can also have learning disabilities even without any NP diagnosis.

What i would suggest is try to find some procedure on top of said putting on the stove etc... So you learn that if this is also on the plates or oven are on. Whenever i turn on the plates or the oven i also turn on the light ( kitchen fan above ) as well as the fan it self so as long as those are running i know the stove or and oven is hot and on . Also treat every part of the stove as possibly hot (ie on )

Last edited:
What among other Learning disabilities shuch as in this case possible dyslexia does is mess with youre mind. So you're brain interprets say a on to a a of, No to yes. or something that really isent even written etc.... , or as in my case as i also have Dyspraxia mix up the nrs say you see 12 when its is actually 21.

Like in our NP diagnosis IQ dont matter im afraid its the levels of our diagnosis as well as wich if any learning disabilities. You can also have learning disabilities even without any NP diagnosis.

What i would suggest is try to find some procedure on top of said putting on the stove etc... So you learn that if this is also on the plates or oven are on. Whenever i turn on the plates or the oven i also turn on the light ( kitchen fan above ) as well as the fan it self so as long as those are running i know the stove or and oven is hot and on . Also treat every part of the stove as possibly hot (ie on )
Thank you for that.

What among other Learning disabilities shuch as in this case possible dyslexia does is mess with youre mind. So you're brain interprets say a on to a a of, No to yes. or something that really isent even written etc.... , or as in my case as i also have Dyspraxia mix up the nrs say you see 12 when its is actually 21.

I notice that I switch letters and numbers back to front and when I type I miss words because my brain has already completed the sentence in my head, moving on to the next sentence.

welkome to my world and its frustrating as ..... Not to mention i actually missread something that isent even there

The nrs is most likely dyscalculia (same as in my case )

Sorry for the wrong disablity name ive changed in the previos post as well (bluching face ) ( i actually have both Dyspraxia as well as dyscalculia )

Last edited:
What makes me upset is that I was assessed with a 140 IQ, yet I keep hurting myself through this distortion field and I don't understand why. I feel like crying right now because I don't understand this and I want to...I watch videos to explain it, but still frustrated.

Suspect that many people "live" in their heads too much, that other things are going on as we do mundane tasks.

Often, I have to step back and focus on things I don't consider important that are part of everyday life. Some Aspies tend to be more than a little clumsy, including myself.

Last edited:
Typical symptoms of dyscalculia include

difficulty counting backwards.
difficulty remembering 'basic' facts.
slow to perform calculations.
weak mental arithmetic skills.
a poor sense of numbers & estimation.
Difficulty in understanding place value.
Addition is often the default operation.
High levels of mathematics anxiety.

And also as in my case (sigh ) there is

Dysgraphia can appear as difficulties with spelling and/or trouble putting thoughts on paper. Dysgraphia is a neurological disorder that generally appears when children are first learning to write. Experts are not sure what causes it, but early treatment can help prevent or reduce problems.

What are some symptoms of dysgraphia?
Symptoms
Cramped grip, which may lead to a sore hand.
Difficulty spacing things out on paper or within margins (poor spatial planning)
Frequent erasing.
Inconsistency in letter and word spacing.
Poor spelling, including unfinished words or missing words or letters.
Unusual wrist, body, or paper position while writing.

I just burned my hand on a plate that was set on a burner and I mistakenly turned on that burner under the plate. I swear I was igniting the proper burner, but my brain inverted the stove symbols and I lit the burner underneath the plate. Not understanding why the water wasn't boiling underneath the pan, I kept trying to ignite the burner that the pan was over....I kept trying to start the burner, but the burner was already on, heating up the plate....then I grabbed it. I swear I was starting the proper burner....nope. I grabbed the plate and burned my fingers badly...now typing with one hand, whilst soaking my left hand in freezing water. I remember having subtle 'slips' with dyslexia, but not this bad.

Aspergers and Dyslexia - comorbidity? Anyone else?
what we will have is a lengthening of the time in which we actually learn as communication is at the physical age of a child that can't learn as complex ideas but dyslexia is in many neurodiverse people groups .

Suspect that many people "live" in their heads too much, that other things are going on as we do mundane tasks.

Often, I have to step back and focus on things I don't consider important that are part of everyday life. Some Aspies tend to be more than a little clumsy, including myself.

This is very true. Now I do not have to post on the subject because that is what I would have said. Oh, wait. I guess just I did post on the subject. Never mind.

Last edited:
I'm hyperlexic, but I still sometimes put things on the wrong burners if I don't look carefully at the labels on the stove that tell you which ones the dial heats up.

New Threads

Top Bottom