• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drugs? Odd question, I know.

Star, you are very brave and very strong! Please do tell us how you were able to quit heroin. So many people are hurting in that situation . Did you have to use Suboxone? A friend of my sister is on that and it changed her life. She can work again. She is working on getting off that, too, so she is much better. I hear CBD oil can help with that as well.

Oh thanks, but brave and strong are certainly not words I would use! I tried the usual detoxes, 12 step meetings, treatment centres etc over the years but none of them worked for me. I simply fell straight back into my old patterns and routines. I didn't even want the drugs anymore, but I didn't know how to do anything else after all those years, it was familiar and I understood how to survive and what I had to do in that world.

In answer to your question how was I able to quit the answer is easy, I fell in love! I met someone who it was too hard to hide my addiction from who wanted to be with me but only if I quit, she eventually gave me an ultimatum. So I agreed to quit, on condition of her guiding me through what I now know as the NT world. I never used heroin again. She gave me my daily dose of methadone to help with withdrawals and it was reduced slightly every week over many months, until I was drug free! She helped me to negotiate getting my first job, taught me new routines and how to maintain them, she understood how stressed and anxious I would get and that by Friday I just wanted to shut the door and not see anyone or go out until Monday. It was difficult for her as she was and is very sociable, and I am not. She had and has lots of friends, I had and have none. She learnt to handle my meltdowns and just leave me be for a while. We both had to learn a lot, and I really struggled with things often.

We've been married for a long time now, and she still advises me when I'm inappropriate or how to deal with people or situations I don't understand. I have no doubt without her I would still be stuck in the routine of being a using addict, or dead by now.
Getting a diagnosis was very helpful for us both as it explained so much. It also meant she could explain to her friends or family why I wasn't at an event, party or gathering, or if I was why I may quietly slip out after a while.

Oh thanks, but brave and strong are certainly not words I would use! I tried the usual detoxes, 12 step meetings, treatment centres etc over the years but none of them worked for me. I simply fell straight back into my old patterns and routines. I didn't even want the drugs anymore, but I didn't know how to do anything else after all those years, it was familiar and I understood how to survive and what I had to do in that world.

In answer to your question how was I able to quit the answer is easy, I fell in love! I met someone who it was too hard to hide my addiction from who wanted to be with me but only if I quit, she eventually gave me an ultimatum. So I agreed to quit, on condition of her guiding me through what I now know as the NT world. I never used heroin again. She gave me my daily dose of methadone to help with withdrawals and it was reduced slightly every week over many months, until I was drug free! She helped me to negotiate getting my first job, taught me new routines and how to maintain them, she understood how stressed and anxious I would get and that by Friday I just wanted to shut the door and not see anyone or go out until Monday. It was difficult for her as she was and is very sociable, and I am not. She had and has lots of friends, I had and have none. She learnt to handle my meltdowns and just leave me be for a while. We both had to learn a lot, and I really struggled with things often.

We've been married for a long time now, and she still advises me when I'm inappropriate or how to deal with people or situations I don't understand. I have no doubt without her I would still be stuck in the routine of being a using addict, or dead by now.
Getting a diagnosis was very helpful for us both as it explained so much. It also meant she could explain to her friends or family why I wasn't at an event, party or gathering, or if I was why I may quietly slip out after a while.

That is an amazing story!! Like a dream, really :) Truly, you could write a book about that. Love does conquer a lot for those lucky enough to find it. I fell in love and even though I never said anything and all that, just the fact that I loved this person changed me. I am not kidding :) Loving an animal even helps people. Love rocks!!

I have very super sensory issues and cannot take even prescribed meds without trouble. I smoked pot ONE TIME, and only because they gave me Prozac and I was in the supermarket and all of a sudden I black out but was still awake and walking around. I came to sobbing in my car, like an ambien moment but Prozac. Scared the sht out of me.

SO I tried pot and went psychotic and thought the aluminum foil from the TP bong my friend made was lodged in my heart and brain and I was trying to figure out how to tell that to the ER if I went. I did not go, but every ten seconds it was like sheer panic. Then for ten seconds, it would subside for about 3 hours. HELL.

But I have other reactions to meds, like I woke up under anesthesia. Panic attack on the Xanax they gave me when I had been awake 11 days, anaphylaxes on Benedryl (paradoxical reaction).....

Now I take alternative stuff. Some is good. CBD from HEMP helps somethings. SAM-e helps, I think. I cannot really tell.
If your going to experiment with pot, I wouldn't bong it. That's mega strong. Fair play-by-play you. If I was having my first drink I wouldn't hit the whiskey. Try a lightly dusted spliff.

Weed is my best helper I'm afraid. It's perfect for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom