• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drinking

I recall being shocked at how much peer pressure there was to drink at parties when I was in grad school. I couldn't drink then because it gave me migraines, but no one seemed to believe me. I've never drank more than 1/2 glass of wine- I just hate the way it makes me feel (and I don't get migraines anymore). Now I just say "no thanks, I don't drink " and leave it at that.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if they think people will be more inclined to buy art if they are intoxicated? I do drink, but I called in to have a look at an art auction last week and was quite shocked when someone tried to shove a glass of wine in my hand. It was only midday! I never drink at lunchtime.
Getting customers drunk is an interesting way to increase sales. Maybe that is why art seems to always be served up with a glass or two of wine. I just thought it was a silly attempt to look sophisticated. I'll keep that thought in mind next time I get stuck hosting a yard sale (aka tag sale, garage sale, rummage sale):rolleyes:.

I love this description. This is pretty much how I've always looked at it. It sure isnt the fine arts... "drinking culture" seems to pervade EVERYTHING.

I dont drink. The way I look at it, it's a fantastically idiotic idea. I often refer to any alchoholic drink as a "potion of stupidity", and.... the sad thing is, that might be accurate, not sarcastic. Why in the numerous hells would I drink something that would make me dumber, less coordinated, slower, and more gullible all at the same time? Among all the other things it can do, none of which are positive. Yet people drink it all the time. I'd ask "how does that make sense?" but I really, REALLY dont want to know (no, seriously, dont try to explain it to me). The answer would only anger me.

And what gets even more idiotic is that drinking is somehow considered "social". Like, you arent accepted into many events or society in general unless you can PROVE just how much of a moron you can be. I mean, good grief. It's no wonder I avoid basically all social events.

Well, one exception: I do go to anime/gaming conventions. But even there, I just refuse to engage with that side of things. What's more, I dont allow anyone with me to do so either. Not only do I not allow ANY alcohol in the hotel room (which is ALWAYS in my name, and thus under my control), but if I find out that someone staying with me has had any (alot of people at anime conventions stay with friends, due to the very high cost of rooms... not uncommon to see 11 people pooled together in one room), they'll be booted out until the effect wears off... period. I dont want to deal with the derp, so... I dont. Fortunately, I've not had to actually do this. I dont have many friends IRL, but those I do have really dont drink except on ridiculously rare occaisions, and even then they seem to only have one and then wear this expression like "why did I do that?" for the rest of the night. Regardless, I make sure the rule is known. These days I go to most conventions entirely on my own and have the room to myself at all times, but.... yeah.

And if drinking starts happening in other places I'm at? I leave. Dont care if it's an important family event... I'm outta there. Again, I dont wanna deal with such extreme levels of derp, so I dont.

Honestly the whole topic just irritates me, if that wasnt already obvious.
Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to host an entire convention without the drinking? Most of the drinking I have been around has been extremely restrained, but it always runs that risk of turning into a much livelier event than necessary. I love that you won't let them in the hotel room intoxicated. One of the many reasons I quit drinking, and I had numerous reasons, but I get dizzy at a half of bottle of beer. Why I would do anything to add to my clumsiness is impossible to explain so there was no way I could keep drinking and not see myself as a bit, well I won't say stupid, but not so wise. Certainly not a wise thing. I was going to end up dripping over a dust ball and cracking my head open over a half an IPA? Nope. Didn't need a cracked open head.

Last night's poor beverage selection has turned into an interesting day:). Good discussion here on the forum, found new beverages to try, good articles read, I learned the history of the Arnold Palmer (two parts tea to one part lemonade put in a thermos to take golfing. Not a fancy drink like I would have thought, nor ever containing alcohol. Gets a different name otherwise.) I read about distilling, and farming in England, and less common fruits.
Anyhoo, after discussing last night with my husband we concluded that the planner simply was in too big of a hurry to realize that an entire category of refreshment had been over-looked. There are a few other things about the otherwise seemingly well put together event that were a bit incongruous, though not as big a deal. Guess if you and all your friends drink it's easier to overlook.
But still, a lovely day of exploring the topic of teetotalism again.

Many years ago I chose not to drink, I've never had a beer, and I've probably had two glasses of wine my entire life... Sometimes I feel out of place for not having a glass of wine or a beer in my hand at arts events, often I'm the only one, one of the only ones, not drinking... I just deal with it, sometimes I will only stay for a short time, I don't generally like a busy crowd anyway, outside is okay for some reason (I think because of the open sky above), but in an enclosed room with a roof overhead, eek!

I enjoy the odd glass of wine or beer with my evening meal because I like the taste, but I don't like drinking for the sake of drinking or getting drunk. I don't like the feeling of being drunk, and it gives me a headache.

For me, it's not the alcohol itself that I object to, but drink-and-get-drunk culture and people's attitude to wards it - if people consumed it responsibly, it wouldn't be such a problem.

Of course, at any function, there should always be non-alcoholic drinks available, it shouldn't be just assumed that everyone is going to want an alcoholic drink.

I live in the UK, where drinking culture permeates everything. I'm also teetotal and people are usually shocked that I choose to not drink, but moreso because there's no 'reason' for it - as in it's not because I had a drinking problem or for medical reasons.
I like your style why would anyone want to be a sheep when they can be a shepherd

Yeah, not everyone drinks, should def be an option for drinks there should you not drink. Might turn people off and make them not want to go if there's no non-alcoholic beverages there.

I drink alcohol as if I'm neurotypical and that my Aspergers Syndrome don't exist. I like to drink to boost my social confidence.

New Threads

Top Bottom