• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drinking

kay

Went to a little semi-private art show sorta shin-dig last night, all adults of around 35 years old and up to 88 years. What bothered me the most was there were no non-alcoholic beverages offered, though there was a little bit of left over club soda sitting next to the sangria. I had brought two bottles of ice-tea but it hadn't been expected. Actually I was told if I wanted to bring wine that would be great . I don't drink, so I didn't, but there were 7 bottles of the stuff on the table. Anyhoo, this sorta drinking culture is weird to me and feels, well, very wrong. If there had been more options; but there wasn't any thought at all of us teetotalers, and there was at least three of us. Because of the horrible results that sometimes come from drinking alcohol I found the situation was not only impolite, but unethical.

Curious if others find themselves in similar situations and what you think about it?

(Oh, and otherwise it was too noisy and filled with chit chatty small talk and I hid in the bathroom for quite awhile. And then went outside, and then left rather than go back in. 30 minutes total.)

Yes, there is something of a drinking culture in the arts. Exhibits and art shows that I've gone to always offered some sort of alcoholic beverage but I've never heard of one not offering water. Hmmmm ....

Yes, there is something of a drinking culture in the arts. Exhibits and art shows that I've gone to always offered some sort of alcoholic beverage but I've never heard of one not offering water. Hmmmm ....
Yeah, I've never been to anything without the fancy lemons floating around in water, and iced tea. Wine is generally there as well, but it's just one of several options.

The opposite happened to me once. I went to what was described as a 'games evening' and I did what I would normally do, take something alcoholic to drink, asuming that people would be drinking alcohol. I was offered a glass of beer and accepted, then I realised that I was the only one drinking beer or anything alcoholic and I wondered if I had broken some unspoken social rule or something.
Edit: spelling

Last edited:
The opposite happened to me once. I went to what was described as a 'games evening' and I did what I would normally do, take something alcoholic to drink, asuming that people would be drinking alcohol. I was offered a glass of beer and accepted, then I realised that I was the only one drinking beer or anything alcoholic and I wandered if I had broken some unspoken social rule or something.
Wow, that is unusual.

To be fair looking at Paintings all day is a bit on the boring side, even for an Art enthusiast, so they drink to enjoy the day.

Curious if others find themselves in similar situations and what you think about it?

A good portion of my life has been spent avoiding alcohol. Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, social occasions, work functions, here it's called: Cinq à sept (French: [sɛ̃kasɛt], literally 'five to seven') is a french term for activities taking place after work, before returning home or having dinner (roughly between 5 and 7 p.m.). Although I did drink a little in my twenties and still like a decent beer now and then.

I'm usually able to have coffee at these things, or, I'll sometimes say I'm the designated driver and they'll provide some sort of drink without alcohol. Some people here are very careful when it comes to alcohol, usually a glass of wine or beer before dinner, if the police pull you over, you can lose your license for a year or more. Often they install a breathing device that detects alcohol limits in the car, that you have to blow into before the car will start, if you're under restriction to drive for a year or more. Someone I used to know got around that by filling up balloons with air from a non-drinker and keeping them in their trunk.

A good portion of my life has been spent avoiding alcohol. Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, social occasions, work functions, here it's called: Cinq à sept (French: [sɛ̃kasɛt], literally 'five to seven') is a french term for activities taking place after work, before returning home or having dinner (roughly between 5 and 7 p.m.). Although I did drink a little in my twenties and still like a decent beer now and then.

I'm usually able to have coffee at these things, or, I'll sometimes say I'm the designated driver and they'll provide some sort of drink without alcohol. Some people here are very careful when it comes to alcohol, usually a glass of wine or beer before dinner, if the police pull you over, you can lose your license for a year or more. Often they install a breathing device that detects alcohol limits in the car, that you have to blow into before the car will start, if you're under restriction to drive for a year or more. Someone I used to know got around that by filling up balloons with air from a non-drinker and keeping them in their trunk.

Things are quite strict here with DUIs as well.

I had never been much of a drinker when I completely gave it up about 5 1/2 years ago. Generally I enjoy the fancy lemon water and often have other teetotaler friendly drinks to choose from without having to say a word because it's just good etiquette as far as I could tell. At other events if there is alcohol it's just a small part of a large spread of snacks and beverages. Of course I usually only go to more community type events at the art museum and stuff. I'd love to ask the hosts what they were thinking when planning, but I'm sure that would be considered rude of me.

I certainly think they should offer non-alcoholic options. I can't drink since I'm on meds and I know many people are. They there are those who choose not to drink and those that are alcoholics who are trying to stay sober. Also, I would think that some people would just want to have one or two alcoholic drinks and then something non-alcoholic after. I find it strange to only offer alcohol.

I live in the UK, where drinking culture permeates everything. I'm also teetotal and people are usually shocked that I choose to not drink, but moreso because there's no 'reason' for it - as in it's not because I had a drinking problem or for medical reasons.

I certainly think they should offer non-alcoholic options. I can't drink since I'm on meds and I know many people are. They there are those who choose not to drink and those that are alcoholics who are trying to stay sober. Also, I would think that some people would just want to have one or two alcoholic drinks and then something non-alcoholic after. I find it strange to only offer alcohol.
I live in the UK, where drinking culture permeates everything. I'm also teetotal and people are usually shocked that I choose to not drink, but moreso because there's no 'reason' for it - as in it's not because I had a drinking problem or for medical reasons.

There should never need to be a reason needed, not sure what people think about me, I tend to go unnoticed most of the time anyways. I just think it's silly that some people are so self involved to not realize that other people can have different taste in beverages without needing to explain. I know people who do have a reason not to drink though, including one person who is just allergic. But yeah, lots of meds should keep a person from drinking. Even over the counter stuff shouldn't be mixed with drinking.

Glad it's apparently not just an odd point of view that I have about last nights little party because most of the time it is just me and my ideas that are different. Last night the "empathetic" "socially skilled" NT people seem to have actually screwed up:D! :pNot me this time.:)
(Sorry, but I can't help but be happy about that. It took me years to learn to offer someone even a cup of coffee when I was expected to, so others mistakes are always encouraging to me.)

Drinking going on around you is fine, if you drink yourself. But to non drinkers its like getting on the Ship of Fools.

It might be linked to some tradition but not offering non alcoholic alternatives these days is pretty assinine.

I've been around the "high society" types, and it's fun to play that game, sure, but it always shocked me just how...necessary drinking was at their various social functions, and how little of an excuse they needed to drink. I would've felt less pressured to drink at a frat party; it's like they make sure you're drinking, and that you find what you're drinking acceptable.

I'd usually get through it by just drinking really, really slowly, so I would at least be less drunk than the rest of them.

I gave up drinking as I had gastric bypass and they really caution people against drinking because it causes a rapid absorption of alcohol. Only a tiny amount of alcohol could easily put someone over the legal limit. Also, before gastric bypass, I had a food addiction. Gastric bypass pretty much cured that because I can only eat in small amounts. I don't want to risk trading one addiction for another: I need alcoholism like I need a hole in the head.

Drinking going on around you is fine, if you drink yourself. But to non drinkers its like getting on the Ship of Fools.

I love this description. This is pretty much how I've always looked at it. It sure isnt the fine arts... "drinking culture" seems to pervade EVERYTHING.

I dont drink. The way I look at it, it's a fantastically idiotic idea. I often refer to any alchoholic drink as a "potion of stupidity", and.... the sad thing is, that might be accurate, not sarcastic. Why in the numerous hells would I drink something that would make me dumber, less coordinated, slower, and more gullible all at the same time? Among all the other things it can do, none of which are positive. Yet people drink it all the time. I'd ask "how does that make sense?" but I really, REALLY dont want to know (no, seriously, dont try to explain it to me). The answer would only anger me.

And what gets even more idiotic is that drinking is somehow considered "social". Like, you arent accepted into many events or society in general unless you can PROVE just how much of a moron you can be. I mean, good grief. It's no wonder I avoid basically all social events.

Well, one exception: I do go to anime/gaming conventions. But even there, I just refuse to engage with that side of things. What's more, I dont allow anyone with me to do so either. Not only do I not allow ANY alcohol in the hotel room (which is ALWAYS in my name, and thus under my control), but if I find out that someone staying with me has had any (alot of people at anime conventions stay with friends, due to the very high cost of rooms... not uncommon to see 11 people pooled together in one room), they'll be booted out until the effect wears off... period. I dont want to deal with the derp, so... I dont. Fortunately, I've not had to actually do this. I dont have many friends IRL, but those I do have really dont drink except on ridiculously rare occaisions, and even then they seem to only have one and then wear this expression like "why did I do that?" for the rest of the night. Regardless, I make sure the rule is known. These days I go to most conventions entirely on my own and have the room to myself at all times, but.... yeah.

And if drinking starts happening in other places I'm at? I leave. Dont care if it's an important family event... I'm outta there. Again, I dont wanna deal with such extreme levels of derp, so I dont.

Honestly the whole topic just irritates me, if that wasnt already obvious.

... Why in the numerous hells would I drink something that would make me dumber, less coordinated, slower, and more gullible all at the same time?...

Yes, exactly. I drank some when young, but by early 20's started to develop an aversion to it and anything mind altering. My own way of putting it was "Life is going to be difficult enough. It doesn't make sense to make it any harder".

Used to go to clubs and kept these tiny squirt bottles of food grade dye in my purse, I'd buy a club soda and put in a little red or yellow or blue dye.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if they think people will be more inclined to buy art if they are intoxicated? I do drink, but I called in to have a look at an art auction last week and was quite shocked when someone tried to shove a glass of wine in my hand. It was only midday! I never drink at lunchtime.

New Threads

Top Bottom