• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dress Code

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I was a person that never really cares much about dress code. Though I understand their settings you must obey it if you want to get let in, I feel things so be more relaxed. There is some clothing I can consider inappropriate such as something that promotes hate like as racism. As for sexual revealing clothing, there some settings you wouldn't wear that such as a place where there will be kids.

Something I never once cared for is dressing up for church. I was never once a church person. However, my father once took me to this one that had no dress code. Despite I still hate church, I felt more comfortable compared to going to one it mandatory to dress up.

Anyhow, share your views on dress code?

I have no issue with dress code if it is part of the function I'm going to.

I love theatre, ballet and opera, and attend when I get the chance. Whilst there is no stated dress code the lady who accompanies me loves to dress up, so I oblige her. In the past I have been invited to the royal enclosure at Ascot where there is a very definitive dress code, I made sure it had it down exactly.

Day to day life I'm a jeans man but I learnt to play the game when I was self employed.

I actually had a issue way way back in high school... with the dress code thing. It was a big-todo to tuck in shirts......then. bah

Dress code. Hmm... I don't like to dress up at all. I feel very uncomfortable especially in skirts. I like to wear the same style of casual stuff everyday if possible, but alas I have to work. So, at work I wear very simple outfits if I can. I am very much a creature of habit. When I go to church, I wear the same casual stuff - jeans, casual top, tennis shoes if possible and etc. I also have OCD so not sure how much of this is that or AS. Also, I hate wearing tight stuff; it drives me crazy - that's my OCD. Good topic.

Oh boy... I have an extensive history on dresscodes and issues with the way I dressed and I've been over this in another thread once. I should look up the link for that. But the short of it was; school wasn't happy about some of my choices of t-shirts (and prints thereof) and that resulted in a lot of issues up to where I made national media.

Further down the line I've been refused entrance to pubs and bars over appearance, which I guess one might attribute to dress, but I guess hairdo and a few other physical features might play part in it.

I've always found it quite petty to be bothered about dresscode. An argument I once had with a pubowner who refused to let me enter ended up in me telling him "I'm not sure if I would feel welcome in a pub of which the owner thinks the majority of the customers are a bunch of prejudiced bigots that judge people on the way they dress". Of course it didn't change his mind and I quickly left with my then girlfriend and her sister.

However, it is not to say that I don't like it if people dress "nice" or more fitting and I guess for someone who is somewhat connected to the goth scene and a few other more fringe subcultures, style and the way someone dresses does play part, however I've never considered someone to be more or less part of the subculture/community because he's showing up in a pair a jeans and tennisshoes instead of whatever people are wearing (assuming that jeans and tennisshoes are not the type of attire people wear there).

Because of the entire issues I had with clothing it does sometimes put me on edge when a friend asks me to come along for a few drinks in the weekend, since I have no clue what the policy is at the door. And often I can't find a policy, except "we have the right to refuse anyone" or even a bar here that says "appropriate attire required"... how's that for us aspies.. what's "appropriate"? If anything I don't feel like going to the bar first, ask the bouncer for a complete rundown, check out other guests which might be out for a bit of fresh air and copy from them when I already made a trip back home to get dressed.

As for attire for work; I rarely wear anything really outrageous I guess. Yes, I own a pair of platform boots, a pair of stylized "combat boots" with lots of metal detail on it, but I also own multiple pairs of sneakers. I usually wear black army pants, something that seems to be a problem already, but I just don't do jeans. I don't like to wear them, simple as that. And that's the closest thing, since I'm sure that showing up in sweatpants is a no-no as well.

After my run-ins with school and dresscodes, I've been a supporter of uniforms. Either uniforms in school or uniforms at work. It takes away a lot of ambiguity on what's ok and what's not. The downside of course is, creating a nice fitting and good looking uniform that suits everyone.

I don't mind dress code for work. In fact i'd like the dress code to be a bit stricter...currently we're allowed two different colors for shirts in any and all positions. I don't like it and personally i think if we're gonna have options they should be position specific. Managers and such should wear this uniform, everyone else this uniform, that sort of thing.

But enough of my soap box. In my everyday life, it depends. Some days i'll just wear jeans and a shirt and other days i'll wear a nice top and some khaki skinnies just to look a little nice that day cause i feel like it. I've never been a skirt or dress type, i don't like them.

I don't care for dress codes any more than neckties. Living an American bicoastal existence didn't help. Less formality in the west, more formality in the east back in the 60s. Business-casual was a welcome change in the late 80s.

Being self-employed these days I wear what I want. :cool:

Baggy Jeans a nice pair of DC kicks baggy t shirt hoodie and slouch beanie. I'm comfy in that but if I have to then I can scrub up.
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1414429168.786320.jpg

I am a LOT more comfortable going to church in jeans than a dress. I don't really approve of dress codes, they often require clothes that are highly impractical. Thin, "fancy", weak, easily soiled or destroyed, limits mobility, limited functionality (lack of pockets, in example), poor temperature control (lookin' at you, polyester), over-priced... What sane person chooses to wear such inferior things?

I forgot how to tie ties and bowties, and nowadays I will even show up to the opera in cargo pants and a t-shirt (didn't I just mention that in another thread? Hmm...lol). The most formal I got was a wedding this past summer, when I had some semi-formal slacks and a buttoned shirt and an oversized sport coat.

I do, however, enjoy having a formal woolen overcoat and a felt topper hat.

My bf and I were discussing this kind of thing last night. Specifically, uniforms for grade school. In that respect, I like the idea of uniforms better than a dress code. Dress codes are confusing and leave too much gray area for interpretation. Everybody wears the same thing everyday because everyone is there for one purpose: to learn. Uniforms eliminate competition for status among students and parents can set a budget for school clothes. A win-win situation.

I would prefer to wear a uniform to work, too, so there is no question about "what to wear." A dress code still leaves that question open.

In the absence of uniforms, dress codes are necessary because (apparently) many people don't understand when they are expected to dress conservatively. If you watch enough TV, you'll notice female detectives wearing low-cut shirts and short mini-skirts. That wouldn't cut it IRL in a police department, but maybe some women don't understand that because they've been conditioned by TV. So, tiresome as they may be, I guess dress codes are a necessity of life.

I don't like to dress up for church either. I realize it's suppose to be a show of respect for God, but I don't think God cares about that kind of thing. I'd rather be comfortable and arrive on time to listen to the sermon, than to be concentrating on my uncomfortable shoes or something.

I didn't think any of us would favour uniforms! Can't stand wearing them myself - I can't stand anything with buttons/collars/synthetic fabrics that would touch or rub on my skin at all. And hypothetically, if I had to wear them, I wouldn't want them anywhere near my own clothes Can't even explain it; makes me shudder just thinking about it. Detested school uniforms & got suspended/severely reprimanded many times over it. Surely teachers shouldn't be so bothered about minor appearance issues over learning?

Dreading ever having to get a job where I'd have to wear anything like that!

I didn't think any of us would favour uniforms! Can't stand wearing them myself - I can't stand anything with buttons/collars/synthetic fabrics that would touch or rub on my skin at all. And hypothetically, if I had to wear them, I wouldn't want them anywhere near my own clothes Can't even explain it; makes me shudder just thinking about it. Detested school uniforms & got suspended/severely reprimanded many times over it. Surely teachers shouldn't be so bothered about minor appearance issues over learning?

Dreading ever having to get a job where I'd have to wear anything like that!
I know, right? If you're decently covered, comfortable, and not wearing anything very loudly or offensively patterned, what does it matter? How can you even learn when you're so busy scratching like a mangy dog at that tag poking your neck?

I love uniforms, as long as they are not the hideous nylon scratchy type (which should be outlawed). My last place of work had poly-cotton shirts with some stretch in them, that were comfortable as soon as you cut out the scratchy labels, and plain black pants (of your own choosing).

I loved it, I just got up every day and pulled one off the pile to wear. No brain, no pain. :D

With dress codes, I tend to overdress, but only because I spend most of my time hanging out at home in track pants, so when I do go out (once a year or so) I like to dress up and stun everyone. ;)

I found understanding the reasons behind dress codes are necessary. I am by no means prudish but this world does make me wonder about sensibility.
School - why a uniform? to teach children some level of conformity, that they should be about the same - fashion-wise and on the same level, to give them some standard to live by, so they don't take the mickey out of each other about how much someone might spend on clothing - in both directions - "haha, he spent £80 on a pair of nike joggers, I only paid £60!", " haha, they are wearing primark, look at us in adidas!", "haha look at them in adidas, bunch of stuck-ups". Fashionistic behaviour eludes my sense of practicality. To give them a sense of belonging. I don't agree with a strict code but some level should be met for the right reasons.
Work - why another uniform? Practical application - don't waste your own clothes, ruin what they pay for not your best togs. Similar to school uniform reasons plus a bit of 'free' advertising if it has the logo on.
Pubs and clubs - See also shops (below). I don't believe a bikini is the thing to wear at a night club and yet there they are - almost to the point of ' might as well be naked'. It's not earned the title 'meat market' for nothing. The Victorians didn't show ankles unless they were being a bit risque- men went wild for ankles. Now they don't need imagination at all and women wonder where romance has gone - "the same place as your clothes, love!".
Shops - There's a level of poshness in some places, it's always been there, entering a supermarket without a vest or shirt on can find you tapped on the shoulder by security - I don't disagree as I don't really want to find your chest hair in my carrots, thank you very much. A vest or t-shirt at the very least in public and a sensible covering for the ladies.
As for kids - considering safety as a main point here - cover them up sensibly in public and in sunshine and in the cold and wet. I don't want to see a person leering at an 8 yr old and I don't want to see them sunburnt at 10. I also don't want to see their midriff in the snow for their own health benefit. Common sense appears to be eluding a large number of parents these days - I'm not a parent - luckily for both me and kids I think..lol.. but it is still of concern.
My own style is scruffy at home, tidier when out, dress up going out - unless I'm going to the garden centre - then it's whatever doesn't mind being covered in compost.

On a further note - a conversation with someone about fashion revealed a need for information.
How do you know what to wear?
It's come down to templates.
A set of clothes for each type of occasion, then broken down into colour sets and/or what the weather is on the day.
Does anyone remember the cardboard cut out fashion dolls in comics and magazines years ago? A series of cut out clothes with tabs to fold over the 'doll', different styles depending on what the feature was.
As crazy as it might sound, for those with wardrobe issues - get a catalogue or some magazines (or even just the catalogue junk mail from magazines) and make up some templates, getting someone to help you make the choices if you're not sure.
You need a body, a top, trousers/skirt, boots or shoes, possible accessories - gloves, scarf, hat, etc. Do a page for each occasion and maybe a set of colour options.
If you're clever on a spreadsheet programme, you can go to town on a drop down menu.
The internet can help you too, if you need info on what to wear at certain functions, as can the library - etiquette books aren't in high demand and there's usually one or two on the shelves.

I don't care for dress codes for the most part but some examples that are appropriate are:
wearing a shirt (any) when entering a store especially where food is served as this is a health code violation.
No bath robes, lingerie or bikinis in a store either that is just in really poor taste! I have many customers
do that here in Gainesville. Otherwise I find goth,punk or other unique attire both cool and interesting:)

No bath robes, lingerie or bikinis in a store either that is just in really poor taste!
I remember one year on Halloween back when I was a cashier at a grocery store, I had a woman come in wearing house shoes/slippers, a big fuzzy bathrobe, and a showercap with curlers in her hair. She was middle aged, not old and wrinkled and at the "don't care, gonna be comfortable and have fun, woohoo!" stage. To this day, I have never been able to figure out if she was just that comfortable in her attire or if it was part of a Halloween costume.

New Threads

Top Bottom