• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dream job interview!

jason8682

Can i just start by saying omg omg omg omg...im so (temporarily) excited.

So i have very little work experience at all, my ex partner had an auto-immune disease and mobility problems and needed a full time carer. After she passed away i have been really driven to turn my life around but ive found, the only sort of job that will take me is sort of agencies for factories and physical work which i really struggle with because of dyspraxia.
I am passionate about IT. I want to conduct research into machine consciousness. I am 3/4 the way through a degree with the open university in computer science and im on track for a first. I obtained a certificate of higher education along the way. 2 more years out of 6.

Ive been looking for that break, that entry job that doesn't want 3 years experience or a ridiculous number of certifications for a god damn entry level job. And i have an interview. Its for an it service desk analyst for sqa (scottish qualifications authority). It stated (multiple times) on the application they are an equal opportunities employer and offer a guarenteed interview to anyone who is disabled and qualified. I am diagnosed with dyslexia and this was enough but ive also stated autism. But it wants a-level equivalents so got that covered. And its looking for someone who knows IT. This has been the first job I think ive seen since getting that qualification in 2011 that i AM qualified for but like doesnt require loads of specific technical knowledge or certs and that i could actually confidently do.. My interviews next week im swatting up on interview questions.
In the application it asked about any gaps in employment and i was honest. I said i cared for my ex partner for much of my twenties and then because im autistic and dyspraxic i really struggle with many physical tasks especially timed. And ive just not had a lot of luck in general with work. But i am qualified for this position and i am passionate about IT. Which typically is my biggest hurdle (work history) to getting a job already overcome. Now i just need to impress them and be able to actually communicate that properly on the day.

Think im gonna need to pause my degree till the interview and get a short extension for assignments because i know for a fact im not gonna be able to think about anything else until its done. Ive just finished a ccna module and half way through a cyber security module. My brother works in customer service and i have a friend who is an it network manager. So i have many sources to draw on and a week full of interview questions and swatting up to come. I really need this job. But for once, i got this and i know i do. Knowledge wise i know my stuff and i have all the basic tools to prove i can do this job in front of me. I just need to be conscious of stuff on the day. Ive asked for private waiting room if there will be a group prior to interview, if possible.

Sorry just had to get that out, im feeling really overloaded. But in a good way for once.

Last edited:
I'll be praying for you! Let us know how it goes! I got my dream job a month ago! We'll be dream job buddies!

Best wishes!

You're doing great and I'm sure you've got this!

Some additional context for those not familiar with some of the British references:

The Open University is a well regarded university in the UK that was an early leader in providing open access to post-secondary studies to those who may have otherwise have barriers, with lots of distance / online programs and more flexibility in pacing. Many similar universities in other countries (such as Athabasca University in Canada) are modeled after it, though without quite the same level of success, popularity, or recognition that the Open University holds in the UK.

Undergrad grade approximation to US GPA standards:
UK First (1st) ~= US 4.0
UK Upper 2nd (2:1) ~= US 3.5
UK Lower Second (2:2) ~= US 3.0
UK Third (3rd) ~= US 2.33

A-Levels: Refers to the standard UK secondary school leaving exams.

Thanks for that info wouldnt have thought about providing uk academic terminology reference points for anyone outside the uk lol.

And thank you guys for your supportive messages!

That went awesome. I have spent a week obsessing over this. Ive set up labs in microsft server, ive been glued to ticketing examples and interview questions. I prepared a response to everything and they loved all my examples amd said that it was a very strong interview but there are other strong candidates. Got to right answer in all technical qs and i had drilled in exaxctly what i wanted to say. Never had an interview flow like that. Really hope ive got it. Will find out by start of next week.

New Threads

Top Bottom