• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dream Car

I have a few dream cars I wish I could drive.:

iu

iu

iu

iu

or.....
iu

iu

That gold one surprised me have to be a story around that :)

I love Willys but I also love Anglias. With a super charger sticking out of the hood. I used to love watching the AA Altered classes before they were banned. They were really wild! In the 60's when most of the girls were at the dances, I was at the track. Maybe that's one reason they called me weird!

I liked the yellow coupe from the movie more than a willy's myself although willy's are nice.

I guess for me it would be a 1960, first generation, Corvette ever since I saw it on the Route 66, TV show.
If you get one and you need it, I have a NOS drivers side replacement front fender that still has the Rockwell stickers inside of it for sale.
It's a original GM factory replacement panel, not some modern press moulded crap, so bring your wallet that is so full it hurts your back when sitting on it or stay at home and buy a junk one if it's all about the Benjamins remaining in it :p
There is a super rare 1962 dual snorkel 327 low output with AC aircleaner assembly available too. Will need the lid replated, but other than that, it's in perfect condition.
I have a pretty good sized pile of C-2 & C-3 stuff available including an iron intake manifold that has the front fill breather tube in combination with the spreadbore Rochester Quadrabog inlet on it.
That was only available for two production years until positive crankcase ventilation was ushered in in '69. Considering how many of them were cast aside in favor of aftermarket stuff, for the right restoration project, it should fetch a pretty nice stack of dimes too.
Go ahead, laugh at the hoarder, I dare you :p

I did own a '74 GTO for a while.
It was based on the Ventura with a very weak PMD 350, steel rally wheels and the shaker hood scoop borrowed from the Trans Am project.
Not mine, but the same:
74 gtooo.jpg

I flipped tons of cars over my lifetime, all in the name of running "the scam"

I notice a lot of big engine cars on this thread.

I have one to add to the list which is another dream car. Mind you, gas prices in UK are x3-4 what they are in US. So the idea of running a V8 or larger is a terrifying prospect on a salary such as mine.

7 litre V12 Jaguar XJS Lister edition:

j1-1620135960.jpeg

7ffb44a508a3147bee50bd493b343b1b.jpg

231314123.JPG

lister-le-mans-engine-bay.jpg

The V12 XJS engine bay looks very intimidating, and probably expensive to repair when things inevitably start to break.

As James May said on the old Top Gear India special with regards to Jeremy's XJS - "That thing has a reputation for stopping."

Terrible video quality:

Ed

Last edited:
Another Willys fan here too. Took these pics a few days ago at our Hot August Nights car show.

Willys 1.jpg

Willys 2.jpg

Thought this British-built AC Cobra was pretty nice too:

AC_1.jpg

AC_2.jpg

If I had to get a modern car...Nobe (a new Estonian company) is building one that looks fun to drive. They cost about $26,000, they say, and the pre-order for one is $2500. Zero to sixty in 6 seconds, range of 180 miles, light & fast and no crowded dash full of screens.

dash nobe gt100.jpg

nobe_red_front2.jpg

It's hard to believe that this is an electric car, and not an exotic European model from the early '60s.

They have it in a dark blue that looks incredible. Carbon means no rust, and they will run 180 miles on a charge which is enough for quite a bit of driving. I like the design philosophy behind this; it's one of the few three-wheeler cars to look decent. It's so generic-looking inside without all the high tech stuff visible. I like that. One of the reasons I love my '96 Corolla.

But failing that? You can get a 1948-1948 Plymouth 4dr sedan for about $4000 to $6000 in running order. They are inefficient & slow but they are also reliable and simple to repair.

If I had to get a modern car...Nobe (a new Estonian company) is building one that looks fun to drive. They cost about $26,000, they say, and the pre-order for one is $2500. Zero to sixty in 6 seconds, range of 180 miles, light & fast and no crowded dash full of screens.

View attachment 69946

View attachment 69947
It's hard to believe that this is an electric car, and not an exotic European model from the early '60s.

They have it in a dark blue that looks incredible. Carbon means no rust, and they will run 180 miles on a charge which is enough for quite a bit of driving. I like the design philosophy behind this; it's one of the few three-wheeler cars to look decent. It's so generic-looking inside without all the high tech stuff visible. I like that. One of the reasons I love my '96 Corolla.

But failing that? You can get a 1948-1948 Plymouth 4dr sedan for about $4000 to $6000 in running order. They are inefficient & slow but they are also reliable and simple to repair.

That's very nice... The third wheel being on the back makes it relatively stable, don't ask about Reliant three wheelers :p

For sale at an estate sale this weekend locally, take your pick... :)

View attachment 69961 View attachment 69960

Wait a minute, that's a PACKARD. A real honest-to-goodness Packard straight eight. What is that--about a '48 model? I love the look and the SOUND of those engines; the tall gothic-style grilles on the postwar Packard sedans are pretty special too.

I wrote a 1948 Packard Deluxe into a novel I wrote--a blue one, a family car owned by a fairly eccentric household of boring academics. The father of the family had had the habit of fixing old cars as a way to unwind, and the Packard served as a bit of a symbol for them--refined but outdated, and really kind of doomed in the 21st century. As the story went on I had it where one of the main characters proposes to the other (the daughter of the professors...and yes, the girl gets to be a protagonist too. I like writing fun romances.) Anyway at that scene the car is mentioned in the background as looking shabbier than noticed. For our guy in the story to notice this, showed he'd been putting a bit of a rose-colored veneer over everyone else involved in his lady friend's life--and now at the end he sees them as a shyly nonconforming family, in threadbare suits and driving a slightly down-at-the-heel car. I wanted to take that romance-novel shine off of the pictures there, make things more human. So I always have a bit of a soft spot for Packards.

Those Nobe electrics I looked into a bit further. Say, if you like the three-wheeler (which will be retailing at $29,000 I think) check these out! They did the renders for electrical pickup trucks, to be launched supposedly late this year. Likely they cost around $20K which is as much as the Ford Maverick electric pickup truck. However, these look like proper trucks, and the Maverick looks like something that grew in the back of the refrigerator.

I see design influence in the Nobe 500 pickup truck from the 1946-1948 Ford F-series truck, the Volvo cars of the '60s, and from the Morris Minor "Traveller" panel van. These being electric is truly exciting. Smokeless, quiet, fast enough to run in traffic, and guaranteed to start on a cold morning as long as the battery is up. I wouldn't mind having a Nobe. Nice thing to move a bit of furniture, do some grocery runs, cart the girlfriend around in, etc.

Nobe light trucks.jpg

Wait a minute, that's a PACKARD. A real honest-to-goodness Packard straight eight. What is that--about a '48 model? I love the look and the SOUND of those engines; the tall gothic-style grilles on the postwar Packard sedans are pretty special too.

I wrote a 1948 Packard Deluxe into a novel I wrote--a blue one, a family car owned by a fairly eccentric household of boring academics. The father of the family had had the habit of fixing old cars as a way to unwind, and the Packard served as a bit of a symbol for them--refined but outdated, and really kind of doomed in the 21st century. As the story went on I had it where one of the main characters proposes to the other (the daughter of the professors...and yes, the girl gets to be a protagonist too. I like writing fun romances.) Anyway at that scene the car is mentioned in the background as looking shabbier than noticed. For our guy in the story to notice this, showed he'd been putting a bit of a rose-colored veneer over everyone else involved in his lady friend's life--and now at the end he sees them as a shyly nonconforming family, in threadbare suits and driving a slightly down-at-the-heel car. I wanted to take that romance-novel shine off of the pictures there, make things more human. So I always have a bit of a soft spot for Packards.

Those Nobe electrics I looked into a bit further. Say, if you like the three-wheeler (which will be retailing at $29,000 I think) check these out! They did the renders for electrical pickup trucks, to be launched supposedly late this year. Likely they cost around $20K which is as much as the Ford Maverick electric pickup truck. However, these look like proper trucks, and the Maverick looks like something that grew in the back of the refrigerator.

I see design influence in the Nobe 500 pickup truck from the 1946-1948 Ford F-series truck, the Volvo cars of the '60s, and from the Morris Minor "Traveller" panel van. These being electric is truly exciting. Smokeless, quiet, fast enough to run in traffic, and guaranteed to start on a cold morning as long as the battery is up. I wouldn't mind having a Nobe. Nice thing to move a bit of furniture, do some grocery runs, cart the girlfriend around in, etc.

View attachment 69964

The black one is a 1950 Packard, the maroon/red one is a 1951... They are both great cars...

The black one is a 1950 Packard, the maroon/red one is a 1951... They are both great cars...
They're in great condition too. You do well getting photos of them.

I found a picture of a very neat old car online at a website in Iola, Kansas--a scrapyard called Model T Haven (they specialize in parting out dead Fords) and they every now and then get some old Overlands in there.

This 1921 touring car is sitting in their junkyard at $3900 and hasn't sold. Not surprising. A guy is trying to sell a 1915 Model T (later 1926 engine but otherwise very original) for $5200. Nobody wants to buy a beat-up prewar car any more as they are expensive to fix and sell for very little.

But it is still a beautiful design.

1921 Overland tourer.jpg

@Gerontius

This is the front end of that 1950 Packard, I know which grille and front end you're talking about, very striking making quite a statement... These ones are just smart phone photos...

Brian C 04.jpg

@Gerontius

Three wheel cars? To me the most iconic is the Morgan cyclecar, I have seen genuine examples before, this local unit is a homebuilt replica using the JZR bodyshell and components... These are supposed to be incredible sports cars!

Morgan 01.jpg

Any car that would 'never' break, have good economy, not too small, and have AC and electric windows.
And thats is not too ugly.

New Threads

Top Bottom