• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dream, Believe and Achieve

LeroyT1000

Hi all I'm just wanting to create a thread of all our achievements because I believe this will create a positive energy which will help to attract even more positive things to all our lives!

Some of you might be thinking.. "What have I achieved?" Listen you've achieved something in your life. It can range from anything from going to your first job interview to competing in an Ironman! Also is there anything you want to achieve in the future?

Please share! It's not boastful it's just life. We are all in the same world we are all equals :)

I persevered until I managed to learn the entire Yang 24 T'ai Chi form.
Then I used daily T'ai chi to live my life without PTSD flashbacks & anti-anxiety meds.
Empowering!
Yup, I think I'm kinda proud of me. :D

I will keep this outside of my career because I don't feel it's fair to use something with that much NT influence here.

I've got an amazing daughter, I'm known as one of the best cooks among my friends, and the bar none best BBQ ribs cook among us. I can hunt, fish, and clean/butcher and preserve the meat from anything I get for use later. I can grow a decent garden and, preserve that food too. I make pretty tasty venison and beef jerky and, to die for smoked salmon.

I can't draw worth a darn and, don't ask me to fix your car - it might be ready for the junk yard when I get done LOL. (Not mechanically inclined at all.) Oh and I'm too honest, too blunt and, I cuss sometimes. See I'm not perfect either. :p

This may not sound like much. But living to be 45 and avoiding some of the temptations that could have sent me down the dark path. Now that's what I call achievement. And even getting this far in life. I still find myself feeling discontent.

I can drive by myself, I passed first time for both theory and driving. So I can do stuff like go get things from shops.

I want to achieve getting a job but nobody wants me and until then I'll never be independent. All jobs seem to ask for good communication skills. I don't know how I'm going to get around that without disclosing because people here say not to disclose so I haven't in my attempts at getting a job.

I've done very well academically, im independent and am doing really well in university with good future prospects, and i have travelled quite a bit as well.

Surviving death 3x (TB, bacterial Meningitis and alcoholic collapse).

Been with my partner for 12 years ( with all our ups n downs, she's an angel to put up with me - sometimes I can't handle myself!!)

Been a father to a beautiful clever young girl.

Dealing with 3x suicides at work, and completing my works fully and professionally to the end ( hard to deal with when suffered with suicidal thoughts myself)

I persevered until I managed to learn the entire Yang 24 T'ai Chi form.
Then I used daily T'ai chi to live my life without PTSD flashbacks & anti-anxiety meds.
Empowering!
Yup, I think I'm kinda proud of me. :D
Life without meds is a life full of riches! Well done!

I will keep this outside of my career because I don't feel it's fair to use something with that much NT influence here.

I've got an amazing daughter, I'm known as one of the best cooks among my friends, and the bar none best BBQ ribs cook among us. I can hunt, fish, and clean/butcher and preserve the meat from anything I get for use later. I can grow a decent garden and, preserve that food too. I make pretty tasty venison and beef jerky and, to die for smoked salmon.

I can't draw worth a darn and, don't ask me to fix your car - it might be ready for the junk yard when I get done LOL. (Not mechanically inclined at all.) Oh and I'm too honest, too blunt and, I cuss sometimes. See I'm not perfect either. :p

Haha quality! I like your survival skills! I'm currently going through a phase of cooking scallops and fish with lime juice no heat! :)

This may not sound like much. But living to be 45 and avoiding some of the temptations that could have sent me down the dark path. Now that's what I call achievement. And even getting this far in life. I still find myself feeling discontent.
You are not wrong Sir! Each day lived is a precious thing :)

I can drive by myself, I passed first time for both theory and driving. So I can do stuff like go get things from shops.

I want to achieve getting a job but nobody wants me and until then I'll never be independent. All jobs seem to ask for good communication skills. I don't know how I'm going to get around that without disclosing because people here say not to disclose so I haven't in my attempts at getting a job.

People don't realise that passing your driving test in the modern era is difficult so well done! I took 3 attempts but it was a condensed 2 week course but the anxiety I felt was not good! You did well to get over that.

If you can I want you to believe that work will happen and something will come. I know it's disheartening but if you create your own confidence, like in a driving test, then go for it. Not all jobs require good communication skills. Practice being interviewed with family and friends. An interview is an act it's not really a genuine and true situation. Your aim is to sell yourself that's it :)

Surviving death 3x (TB, bacterial Meningitis and alcoholic collapse).

Been with my partner for 12 years ( with all our ups n downs, she's an angel to put up with me - sometimes I can't handle myself!!)

Been a father to a beautiful clever young girl.

Dealing with 3x suicides at work, and completing my works fully and professionally to the end ( hard to deal with when suffered with suicidal thoughts myself)

Great achievements Sir! Life throws a hell of a lot at us and the loved ones in your life are the cement that holds the foundations together :)

Haha quality! I like your survival skills! I'm currently going through a phase of cooking scallops and fish with lime juice no heat! :)

Ceviche is great and, can be done with a lot of different proteins, just not pork or poultry. :) Some fruits ae gopod with just lime juice too and, alternating slices of scallop and watermelon - Yummy (also 56.00 USD a plate at Morimoto's in L.A.) :p

I agree with Jonathan Lees. Leroy, you're pretty awesome. :) Thanks doe your support and positivity! :tulip:

Hm... achievements and other things I've done in life which are fairly positive or awesome... granted, some might be a bit on the more darker note (and might be a bit more of the "do not try this at home kids" variety), though I do consider them all interesting "achievements" in my life nonetheless.

- Well, my first gig ever with a local band, back when I was 18 years old, was in front of a large crowd in my city's concert hall/conference center, counting easily over 1000 people (in clarification, it did help to be scheduled in between a reasonably big name, nationally speaking, and a bigger local act). For the first time on a stage with a crowd (and no live experience whatsoever), I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. Nor did I really fudge up any of the lyrics (given I was the vocalist for the band and in a sense the face, and clearly voice of the band in terms of interacting with the crowd)

- With all the rather violent incidents I've been involved in over the past 5 years or so, including a mugging at knife point, I've managed to hold my own well enough to not get myself injured or worse (can't say the same about people inciting incidents though). I'm confident enough to not chicken out of a confrontation (though I will say, it's not neccesarily that I like physical incidents that much, so I will try to settle it verbally first)

- Back in journalism school I got praise for having the guts to go against the stream with many of my assignments (but apparently having a set of balls and causing controversy was not what said institute liked, so I was awesome enough to decide journalism through education clearly is not for me)

- Sometimes when I'm at bars and clubs and I'm outside with a friend for a chat I joke around and act like I'm the bouncer. Given that I do have the physique for it, people usually believe me and seem to be overly friendly to me. I'm usually chuckling inside, while my friend often pisses himself laughing proverbially.

- Compared to my friends, they're all amazed on how well I can handle substances and the temptation of them. As I've posted in another thread, I have my share of substance... I wouldn't call it abuse, so I'll go with use, yet I know when enough is enough even when said substances are considered to be really addictive things. It's not that I take my chances and hope I don't get hooked on anything... but overall, I consider myself to be a bit more in control about them and feel more like said drugs and I have a mutual understanding when it's ok and when it's crossing a line. Risky behaviour? Meh... probably, but thus far I'm still good. Even bringing it up with therapists has given them a few new perspectives to why people might do drugs and understanding addiction... (at least, that's what they told me)

Quite sure there's more to come eventually to make this thread even more awesome :D

From the perspective of the NT world, I've achieve relatively little other that my relative success at work. I have managed to make a place for myself in their world, as I am probably only one of a hand full of people within several states, with the specialized knowledge and skill to troubleshoot an repair welding and plasma cutting equipment as efficiently as I do. Although I do enjoy my work over all, it is not my passion. Due to situations "somewhat" beyond my control, I have not been able to pursue my greatest passions in this world. In it's place, I get to recharge and find meaning in my writings. Over the past several years, I've found myself thinking and writing about the nature of existence, and nonexistence even more so. If this sounds interesting, feel free to let me know. If not, I understand. People generally don't acknowledge things that don't exist. It's even more rare that they speak of them... Here is a sample. It's something that I wish I could have written to my younger self...
"Just because something doesn't exist, does not mean that it is not real. In truth ultimate or absolute reality will never be known to us within the confines of this shared reality.

The 4 domains of existence.

The question of the state of existence of something, does not yield a yes/no or a true/false answer. As I see it, there is a full spectrum of types and degrees of existence. I like to use the analogy to the spectrum of the colors of light. On one end you have black, which is the absence of all colors. At the opposite end of the spectrum you have white, which is the inclusion of all colors. It should be intuitive that black represents absolute non-existence, and white absolute existence.

These black/white, non-existence/existence polarities represent the extremes. I have often found the that everything breaks down when it is pushed near it's extreme. In the realm of theories and ideas, often strange and unusual anomalies are noticed, such as things appearing to be there opposite. I believe that these points at the extremes of the spectrum are only theoretical, and are ultimately not experienceable by us within the realm of this shared reality. Existence and non-existence are not necessarily two separate things, but rather two destinations at the ends of a line (spectrum) called reality. We are only able to perceive what lies between these two endpoints.

The placement of a particular object/subject within the 4 domains of existence, is identified by it's relationship to two questions. 1) Can it be experienced by the observer? and 2) Can it be acknowledged and accepted by others? Using these questions, we can roughly determine where something is on the existence/non-existence spectrum.

-This shared reality that we all are in, falls primarily within the first domain of existence. The first domain is identified by things that can be experienced, and acknowledged by ourselves and others as being true or real.

-The second domain of existence refers to those things that can be experienced by us personally, but others do not accept it as true or real.

-The third domain of existence refers to those things that we can not experience, and that others also do not accept as true or real.

-The fourth domain of existence refers to things that we personally do not accept as true or real, and as such, we can't acknowledge or communicate it.

I've put a lot of thought into my persistence in referring to non-existence by that name. If you have put much thought into it, you might have realized that you could refer to non-existence as (missing parts of) human experience. But calling it that I would fail to point out how persistent we all are in thinking that things that do not exist (within our shared reality) are not real. In other words, we tend to believe that if things don't exist within the first domain of existence, that they do not exist at all."

New Threads

Top Bottom