• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dragons are awesome.

and speaking of Yoshi (above post), the "boss" character Bowser

is based on the dragon turtle, a legendary creature "symbolizing courage, determination, fertility, longevity, power, success, and support." (Dragon turtle - Wikipedia)

Considering how his many battles with Mario go, I gotta say, "success" doesnt quite hit the mark with him.

Longevity though...

1200px-Dry_Bowser_Artwork.png

This is a dragon called Nidhug, from an old Icelandic manuscript. It's upside down because the dragon is underground, gnawing on the roots of the sacred tree of life, Yggdrasil.

dragehovede_orm.jpg
So, is Nidhug trying to destroy Yggdrasil?
I am a fan of The Lord of the Rings and grew up reading it so to me dragons have always been bad things. I cannot think of how they could be good but maybe you mean in drawings.
I’ve come across books that have the dragons as the good guys. It’s interesting to see Dragon Riders of Pern, and that’s one that I’d like to read myself but there are ones that I do remember reading that are good. Eragon’s Saphira is a good dragon. There’s the Gold, bronze and silver dragons that help fight the evil dragons and goddess in Dragonlance And are in service to the god Paladine: Paladine

Robin Hobb’s dragons are not evil. They’re just separate But do take action to do good things when necessary. Dragons

Parthanax in Skyrim is pretty decent. How can anyone decide to kill him when he helps you save the world!?

Oh, and I haven’t seen the Dragon in Shrek be mentioned yet so here she is:

Considering how his many battles with Mario go, I gotta say, "success" doesnt quite hit the mark with him.

Longevity though...

View attachment 94945
Poor Bowser never wins.=(

Attachments

• A76A10D0-D5D4-4564-A74B-39A8F1E899BB.jpeg
    A76A10D0-D5D4-4564-A74B-39A8F1E899BB.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 44
  • 6D037EE6-37AB-48A0-9B2B-3A77FA3B130A.jpeg
    6D037EE6-37AB-48A0-9B2B-3A77FA3B130A.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 39
A hero dragon or a shy one who wanted to just live and be left alone is possible, I hope. I would like to think so.
I always imagined that there would be plenty of shy dragons out there too. It seems like they always like to live in caves or secret places, and I can relate to that.

grommet,
Did you ever hear about Elliot the dragon from the 1977 movie Pete’s Dragon? He was a friend to a boy who was an orphan, sold to terribly mean foster parents.

I’ll put the rest in this spoiler so that I don’t ruin the story for you or anyone else that wants to experience it firsthand.

Anyway, Elliot is supposedly imaginary, but only because he is invisible to everyone except for Pete. He is a very good friend to Pete and he helps him find a happy family that will care for him. The really magical part of the story is that when Pete is safe and happy, Elliot must disappear because he has to go help other children. He is like a magical dragon spirit that bring strength to children in need.

So, is Nidhug trying to destroy Yggdrasil?

The story of Yggdrasil is long and complicated. It's the tree of life and all other things exists around Yggdrasil. Including the 9 realms and earth is one of those realms. The tree binds it all together in a way. The dragon Nidhug is in a realm called Niflheim, it means World Of Mist. The dragon is a vicious beast and it is trapped there, Yggdrasils roots is blocking the way, keeping him down there. So that's why he is gnawing at the roots.

The name Nidhug means Malice Striker and that dragon is associated with villains and loss of honour. Hel is also underneath that tree, in Hel there is a place called Nástrǫnd (Corpse Shore), that's Nidhugs home and a part of Nidhugs job is to chew on the corpses of murderers, adulterers and oath breakers.

There is also a squirrel involved in all this, on top of that tree sits an eagle. And a squirrel called Ratatosk (Bore-Tooth) runs up and down the tree, delivering gossip and messages from the eagle to Nidhug.

That's the short version, a lot going on there, it's a very big tree. :)

tree.png

Last edited:
You learn something new every day.=D
It is sadly one of those Areas of history that I’d like to learn more about.
I always imagined that there would be plenty of shy dragons out there too. It seems like they always like to live in caves or secret places, and I can relate to that.

grommet,
Did you ever hear about Elliot the dragon from the 1977 movie Pete’s Dragon? He was a friend to a boy who was an orphan, sold to terribly mean foster parents.

I’ll put the rest in this spoiler so that I don’t ruin the story for you or anyone else that wants to experience it firsthand.

Anyway, Elliot is supposedly imaginary, but only because he is invisible to everyone except for Pete. He is a very good friend to Pete and he helps him find a happy family that will care for him. The really magical part of the story is that when Pete is safe and happy, Elliot must disappear because he has to go help other children. He is like a magical dragon spirit that bring strength to children in need.
There’s also the remake of this film too.=)
There is also a squirrel involved in all this, on top of that tree sits an eagle. No one knows its name. And a squirrel called Ratatosk (Bore-Tooth) runs up and down the tree, delivering gossip and messages from the eagle to Nidhug.
Oh, I know him from God of War.=D
(Video games can be helpful).

When I was a kid, I used to read:

Another friendly dragon.=D

Oh yes, be worth mentioning dont watch it unless you have no intention of playing God of War. Or dont mind spoilers. =)

Oh yes, be worth mentioning dont watch it unless you have no intention of playing God of War. Or dont mind spoilers. =)

The first picture of Ratatosk is from an Icelandic manuscript made in the 17th century and the second pic is from 2022. There are a few subtle differences in the graphics. :)

squirrel2.jpg squirrel.jpg

grommet,

Yes I have heard about Pete's Dragon. I am surprised I forgot about that film, I saw it in the theater when I was a boy. Thank you for reminding me.

^ I wonder if these heads ever get snappy with one another. Also seems like a big risk for taking some friendly fire from another head’s teeth.

^ I wonder if these heads ever get snappy with one another. Also seems like a big risk for taking some friendly fire from another head’s teeth.

Those dragons are a little complicated, when they are young they are called Bolla and a Bolla is a demonic serpent. Its eyes are shut all year around, except for Saint George's Day, when it looks at the world and eats any human it sees. If it lives for many years without being seen by a human, it morphs into a big Kulshedra demon dragon. And that thing is just a total nightmare. And it's a she, Kulshedra is always female.

Since I saw Shenron from Dragon Ball mentioned earlier, we might as well mention the other Dragons from the series:

Regular Dragons - Dragons of varying appearance/intelligence that are part of a species: Dragon

Eternal Dragons - Wish-granting Dragons summoned from Dragon Balls or, in the case of the Shadow Dragons/Xeno Shadow Dragons, are spawned from a Dark/Corrupted Eternal Dragon: Eternal Dragon

Here's some more:

The Golden Dragon (Beowulf):

Various Dragons (D-War):

Puff (Puff the Magic Dragon)

Yowler (Dragonworld/Dragonworld 2):

Kilgharrah (Merlin):

I remembered this thread I did from some time back. Plenty of dragons listed - many of which haven't show up here: Favourite Movie/TV Dragon?

Here's a few from that list:

Haku (Spirited Away)

Devon and Cornwall (Quest for Camelot):

Gorwen (Look and Read):

Danny (Danny the Dragon):

Scorch (Scorch)

New Threads

Top Bottom