• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dragons are awesome.

This is a dragon called Nidhug, from an old Icelandic manuscript. It's upside down because the dragon is underground, gnawing on the roots of the sacred tree of life, Yggdrasil.

dragehovede_orm.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing it to my attention :)

I honestly believe I have the soul of a dragon.

My spirit Pokemon, Bagon:

Whose desire to fly is strong enough to influence its body, so it eventually evolves into Salamence:
Hurrah! Our dragon is here! Thank you for flying in.

This is a wood carving from around year 1175, it's a dragon called Fåvne. This was carved on a portal in Hylestad stave church, it depicts a man called Sigurd Fåvnesbane killing Fåvne the dragon. Fåvne was actually a dwarf but a ring called Andvarenaut turned him into a dragon. Now that I think about it, this is probably where the Lord Of The Rings came from, the story about Fåvne. There are some similar things there, I think Gollum is Fåvne.

Hylestad_I%2C_right_-_Fafnir_and_Sigurd.jpg

portal.jpg

Last edited:
I am a fan of The Lord of the Rings and grew up reading it so to me dragons have always been bad things. I cannot think of how they could be good but maybe you mean in drawings.

I am a fan of The Lord of the Rings and grew up reading it so to me dragons have always been bad things. I cannot think of how they could be good but maybe you mean in drawings.
I can see that. Makes sense.

For me, I often wonder about the villains in stories. I don’t really believe in good and bad, especially when it comes to stories. The dragons have stories, too, and if they were telling the stories maybe the heroes would be the villains.

I think what I love most about dragons is the imaginative fantasy that has built up all around them. They are powerful and sometimes I feel weak. They are fierce and mighty and magical and mystical.

As some members have noted, dragon lore exists across cultures and throughout time, and I also find that very interesting.

Not trying to convince you, though. Your perspective makes sense, too. If I lived in Middle Earth, I may see them as only enemies!

I can see that. Makes sense.

For me, I often wonder about the villains in stories. I don’t really believe in good and bad, especially when it comes to stories. The dragons have stories, too, and if they were telling the stories maybe the heroes would be the villains.

I think what I love most about dragons is the imaginative fantasy that has built up all around them. They are powerful and sometimes I feel weak. They are fierce and mighty and magical and mystical.

As some members have noted, dragon lore exists across cultures and throughout time, and I also find that very interesting.

Not trying to convince you, though. Your perspective makes sense, too. If I lived in Middle Earth, I may see them as only enemies!

"For me, I often wonder about the villains in stories. I don’t really believe in good and bad, especially when it comes to stories. The dragons have stories, too, and if they were telling the stories maybe the heroes would be the villains."

I think that is a wonderful way to think and I could agree. I think many times it is the truth, if the villains told the story it would be different but I also think there are some bad things that are not good at all, they have no good side. I am not saying that about dragons. I would love to find out they were much more than the ones Tolkein knew about. A hero dragon or a shy one who wanted to just live and be left alone is possible, I hope. I would like to think so.

In real life (though a part of me believes in fantasy worlds) I have met actual bad people with no good in them. There are not many, most of us have everything inside us, if we are really honest and in different moments are nice or awful. Life is hard and complicated. But there really are evil people. I wish there were not but it's childish of me.

Luckily the really bad are rare and you are making me think there could be good dragons and if there are, maybe they have helped keep people safe from some very bad things. Thank you for writing about them.

Luckily the really bad are rare and you are making me think there could be good dragons and if there are, maybe they have helped keep people safe from some very bad things. Thank you for writing about them.
There's a series of books by Anne McCaffrey that's about good dragons and their riders. The Dragonriders of Pern. One of my favourite book series.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention :)

I honestly believe I have the soul of a dragon.

My spirit Pokemon, Bagon:

R.296566354b61268f6156fa4abc49127c

Whose desire to fly is strong enough to influence its body, so it eventually evolves into Salamence:

salamence.jpg

Bagon kind of looks like Yoshi!

latest

Last edited:

I find it intriguing that in Western lore, dragons have often been defaulted to being a "dark" animal (St. George slaying the dragon being a classic, and then there's variations, like the WWII British Commonwealth "War Medal" (campaign medal) which depicts a lion (Britain) astride a two-headed dragon (representing Germany and Japan)

480px-WW2_War_Medal.jpg

and speaking of Yoshi (above post), the "boss" character Bowser

is based on the dragon turtle, a legendary creature "symbolizing courage, determination, fertility, longevity, power, success, and support." (Dragon turtle - Wikipedia)

640px-Dragon_Turtle.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom