• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hello & welcome.
...but I’m starting to think divorce might be best because these decades-old communication roadblocks is gettin’ ridiculous…
Before you consider the nuclear option, see if you can find an autism-competent counselor or marriage counselor in your area.
A label might scare your husband, but it may have been your straightforwardness or some other autistic trait that attracted him in the first place...!

Howdy! Jadzia here! I somehow always knew I was an Aspie before it became official last year. But now, as I also suspected; I have a feelin’ that my aspie-ness is messin’ with the my ability to communicate effectively and bein’ an overall awesome partner in my marriage. I’m havin’ a hard time tryin’a explain to hubby that I just can’t comprehend things the way he thinks I should, (the whole reading between the lines kinda thing - Like I should be able to figure out his needs by osmosis or somethin’) and I’m gettin’ real tired of bein’ told I’m selfish and don’t give a damn when he also states within the same timeframe of any given conversation that I’m also the most caring person he’s ever met… I mean, which is it?! I know marriage ain’t a Hallmark movie, but I’m starting to think divorce might be best because these decades-old communication roadblocks is gettin’ ridiculous… Thanks for hearin’ me out!
Hello

Howdy! Jadzia here! I somehow always knew I was an Aspie before it became official last year. But now, as I also suspected; I have a feelin’ that my aspie-ness is messin’ with the my ability to communicate effectively and bein’ an overall awesome partner in my marriage. I’m havin’ a hard time tryin’a explain to hubby that I just can’t comprehend things the way he thinks I should, (the whole reading between the lines kinda thing - Like I should be able to figure out his needs by osmosis or somethin’) and I’m gettin’ real tired of bein’ told I’m selfish and don’t give a damn when he also states within the same timeframe of any given conversation that I’m also the most caring person he’s ever met… I mean, which is it?! I know marriage ain’t a Hallmark movie, but I’m starting to think divorce might be best because these decades-old communication roadblocks is gettin’ ridiculous… Thanks for hearin’ me out!
Hi, welcome! :)
Are you Polish?

And yeah, marriage is definitely not a Hallmark movie lol

Hello all! My name is James and I am 49 years old. I just got diagnosed with autism six months ago although I always knew there was something different about me since I was a little kid and happy to finally get a diagnosis. I also have PTSD, Severe Anxiety, and Severe Depression. I have issues recognizing faces of people, social interactions, work, and some self esteem issues. I have worked all my life to get better and do think I'm in a good place after my life was destroyed for a while as I was visiting my best friend one morning for breakfast and he had a heart attack in front of me and passed. Messed me up for a good six years. I couldn't work for a bit, got into debt, and basically lost all my self esteem. Lots of counseling and meds have helped me. I sometimes have issues with my speech and find myself trying to talk in somebody's voice I'm talking to for some dumb reason which is highly embarrassing to me. I often don't recognize people who I should when they approach me in public including family members

I am here to learn and share. I am in a firm believer in always striving to improve myself although I struggle at times. I work as an overnight supervisor for a residential treatment center for boys with emotional issues, abuse, and poor family lives. The therapy we use helps me out in my life which is great. It's amazing how much I've learned (I worked there for seven years, left for 20 years, and just returned four months ago). Love to help others. Looking for those who understand and gain insight into how to handle autism. I am very socially awkward but try to hide it from others. I've become sort of a loner in my later years as it's too hard to meet new people for friendship.

Hello, my name is Nik (he/him/they/them) and I am not officially diagnosed yet recently, after researching, my 33 years of life was put into such clarity upon my understanding and introspection on being autistic.

I'm hoping that I can connect with many of you in helping support one another. I also find myself struggling to rediscover who I really am after a lifetime of masking.

Thank you all

Hi, lovely people. I am Ella. Earlier this year I received my official ASD level 1 (Asperger's) diagnosis. It may sound weird to others that a woman over 30 was willing to go through all the trouble to get a diagnosis just because "I want to know". Anyway, I am glad that I have received my diagnosis. Even though I still try to process it, I feel my life finally makes more sense to me.

Hi, lovely people. I am Ella. Earlier this year I received my official ASD level 1 (Asperger's) diagnosis. It may sound weird to others that a woman over 30 was willing to go through all the trouble to get a diagnosis just because "I want to know". Anyway, I am glad that I have received my diagnosis. Even though I still try to process it, I feel my life finally makes more sense to me.
It’s not weird at all . Statistically speaking because Autism is so hard to identify in women , most are diagnosed later in life .

Also Hello

Hello, my name is Nik (he/him/they/them) and I am not officially diagnosed yet recently, after researching, my 33 years of life was put into such clarity upon my understanding and introspection on being autistic.

I'm hoping that I can connect with many of you in helping support one another. I also find myself struggling to rediscover who I really am after a lifetime of masking.

Thank you all
Hello

Hello all! My name is James and I am 49 years old. I just got diagnosed with autism six months ago although I always knew there was something different about me since I was a little kid and happy to finally get a diagnosis. I also have PTSD, Severe Anxiety, and Severe Depression. I have issues recognizing faces of people, social interactions, work, and some self esteem issues. I have worked all my life to get better and do think I'm in a good place after my life was destroyed for a while as I was visiting my best friend one morning for breakfast and he had a heart attack in front of me and passed. Messed me up for a good six years. I couldn't work for a bit, got into debt, and basically lost all my self esteem. Lots of counseling and meds have helped me. I sometimes have issues with my speech and find myself trying to talk in somebody's voice I'm talking to for some dumb reason which is highly embarrassing to me. I often don't recognize people who I should when they approach me in public including family members

I am here to learn and share. I am in a firm believer in always striving to improve myself although I struggle at times. I work as an overnight supervisor for a residential treatment center for boys with emotional issues, abuse, and poor family lives. The therapy we use helps me out in my life which is great. It's amazing how much I've learned (I worked there for seven years, left for 20 years, and just returned four months ago). Love to help others. Looking for those who understand and gain insight into how to handle autism. I am very socially awkward but try to hide it from others. I've become sort of a loner in my later years as it's too hard to meet new people for friendship.
Hello

Yes, as @Moogwizard said that's not abnormal at all! There are people on here who were even diagnosed much later than that, and I was just a few years shy of 30 myself. It's really important to a lot of us :)

Hi everybody,
I was officially diagnosed when I was 47. (The relief was immense).
I'm married to a neurotypical man who claims (daily) that I 'baffle' him. (I've been baffling him for 15 years now)
I have three children (2 autism and 1 being assessed for ADHD) and I'm co-guardian to a 4 month old Whippet.
I'm also a fibromyalgia warrior. (I say 'warrior' but I do spend a lot of time horizontal, watching Disney plus and Netflix).
Nice to 'meet' you all.

hello Northern Im new here also check the members only forums im very anxious for some advice from someone who found out late in life like myself.

Hi everybody,
I was officially diagnosed when I was 47. (The relief was immense).
I'm married to a neurotypical man who claims (daily) that I 'baffle' him. (I've been baffling him for 15 years now)
I have three children (2 autism and 1 being assessed for ADHD) and I'm co-guardian to a 4 month old Whippet.
I'm also a fibromyalgia warrior. (I say 'warrior' but I do spend a lot of time horizontal, watching Disney plus and Netflix).
Nice to 'meet' you all.
Hello

Hello Everyone.
I'm new here. I have ADHD. I have been told that I have some of the symptoms of Autism, but not enough for an actual diagnosis. I have many friends that are on the spectrum. I have even dated a guy that is also on the spectrum as well. I am here to make new friends. It's nice to meet you all.

Hello, folks! New here...I've long enjoyed forums, and I'd been looking for a good discussion group for folks on the spectrum. Like so many, I'd always known I was "different" but could never put my finger on it. Marriage has been getting more and more difficult (my wife is NT.) Several years ago, while seeing a marriage counselor, it was suggested I was on the spectrum. My wife kept pushing me to be properly diagnosed, and then "cured". Ha! I'm not sure how official my diagnosis is (recently I've been meeting on a regular basis with two therapists who specialize is those on the spectrum. Neither felt I needed any further testing as it was already clear.) My biggest challenge, I'd say? I'm quite accepting, even pleased, to know who/what I am, but my wife firmly believes I can be cured if only I would have more faith/pray more. But others of my faith stand with me, that I am the way I am supposed to be.

As I've dug further into what it means to be on the spectrum, I want to share. The fact that I can't have such discussions with my spouse just adds to my natural loneliness. I'm hoping some of that can be relieved in this group.

Hi all. My son was recently diagnsosed and some of his characteristics I can totally relate to so just doing some investigative work.

Also looking for positive information about autism I can share with my son to educate him but also make him feel a bit better about the diagnosis.

Hi my names Sian and I’m new here. I always thought I was different and never knew why, but one day thought maybe I’m on the spectrum. So I went online to find a clinical test to do and I scored high for some traits and with what I was like as a child to adult years, the things all fit.

Hi! My name is Robin, and I am the mother of a 4-year-old on the spectrum. I have come across this site a few times in my research, and I hope to find some answers/suggestions on how to help my son (and me) work through some difficult transitions. My son is a pretty well-behaved kiddo, but we will occasionally have problems with small things. For example, he rides the bus to preschool (we are in the U.S.), but this morning a little girl was in the seat he normally uses. He had a complete meltdown until the bus driver moved the little girl to another seat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help my son cope with not always getting his way (for lack of a better phrase)?

New Threads

Top Bottom