• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi people.
I'm officially diagnosed as of four weeks ago. After my psychologist mentioned aspergers six years ago I've known for sure. I live in Norway, 28 yrs old and I'm a chronic, meaning I have crohn's disease and IBS. I am currently not working due to my diseases and will probably never work again because of this situation.

I have a few friends that I rarely meet because they know I'm an aspie, but I love them nonetheless. Currently seeking a aspie-friendship primarily because I've never met one. I'm curious to how we're all so different but on the same spectrum. My hobbies are the human body, our nervous system, the different parts of our brain, the endocrine system and so on. I know the amount of calories in every item at the grocery shop. My obsession is the gym and the confidence I get from building muscle. I have been doing this for 11 years now. I'm a perfectionist to the T and my work is never finished, which is becoming a problem. I'm very good at recognizing faces and patterns, but I struggle sometimes with people not being literal. I love to plan everything and cannot for the life of me live with someone who never plans.

I have two dogs and they're my everything.

Might delete this later // severe anxiety

Lots of love to you. (please hola at me if you want to communicate)

Hi folks, I am new here.
Name is Douglas, I'm from Brazil. 38 years old, officially diagnosed with Aspergers and idiophatic depression about 4 years ago.
Former criminal lawyer, former martial artist, former...a lot of things...
Currently classified ex iure as "special needs", I live "in mother's basement" at the moment.
No income; just books, cats, cigarrets and cofee.
Kudos to everyone.

No income; just books, cats, cigarrets and cofee.
Kudos to everyone.

Hi Douglas - that last part sounds perfect for me :-D - cats, books, coffee and smokes!

Welcome :grinning:

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well :) I have hesitated a long time to join this forum, but I finally felt that I needed to take the plunge. Not that anyone would find this interesting, but the reasons I was worried was that a) I don't feel that I have much helpful to contribute to the posts here, and b) I am currently sifting through a lot of dark inner work and struggles. Somehow I kept feeling that rather than journaling or keeping a separate blog, that it would help me to try to learn to be part of a community, even if just at the edge of one, online. Somehow it felt like it would help to just be able to joint the sandbox over here, even if I end up doing my own thing over in the corner. I guess...I felt worried that if I sorted through some of my struggles via the blog area, I run the risk of people reading depressing things that could bring them down, when I think it's better in general to focus on the positive. But I think I am at a place in life where I really need to sort through my troubles in order to better see them and deal with them - and I do that best through writing! I have journaled in the past, but find I tend to need hours on end to feel like I have completed my thoughts, and then, though I feel relieved, I totally forget what I have written, so it feels more like I've scratched an itch rather than learned. But writing online, for whatever reason, the idea of a possible audience, whether anyone actually reads or not, seems like it may help me actually process things more and make some progress. I guess I'll find out :)

I think a third reason that I was worried was that....I am opening up about some things that I feel very vulnerable about, things I don't express as much in daily life because there are so few people I would trust enough. So I know that I could feel easily triggered by anyone's response or comment, however unjustified. I'm hoping not to open a can of worms, while coming here specifically to open a can of worms to get better, lol :)

Well, with that heavy introduction, I am also Gen X, self-diagnosed with Aspergers and CPTSD, and professionally diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. I am not actually from Nairobi....I've never been there. I just love the name :) I hope that my interactions here will help teach me to be in community and improve some social skills, even if only online.....and I sincerely hope that I never accidentally anger or offend anyone. I will try my best, and I apologize in advance. And.....I think I may as well copy and paste this as my introductory blog post :)

Last edited:
Do I belong here?

You sound great. I like the truth too. I'd say you certainly belong here. I'm socially isolated too and it sucks. I have two dogs and they are my company. I like company but it has to be the right sort of company. I know a person who is a nurse and I'm sure they are autistic. For the same reason you were, they had control of the script. I think we are all different though and I am not like that. I just need open and honest communication with people I respect.

Hello everybody,
I am from Germany and got my Asperger's diagnosis 4 years ago but recently started to really accept and understand it. I was looking for a forum to exchange with fellow aspies. Currently I am having a hard time connecting with people and feel like I am withdrawing more and more from social interactions. I thought that many of you may understand the daily struggles much better than neurotypical people.

Currently I love cats, drinking tea, watching movies and creating art. :hibiscus:

Have a nice day:fourleaf:

Hello everybody,
I am from Germany and got my Asperger's diagnosis 4 years ago but recently started to really accept and understand it. I was looking for a forum to exchange with fellow aspies. Currently I am having a hard time connecting with people and feel like I am withdrawing more and more from social interactions. I thought that many of you may understand the daily struggles much better than neurotypical people.

Currently I love cats, drinking tea, watching movies and creating art. :hibiscus:

Have a nice day:fourleaf:
Willkommen

Hi everyone! I've read through the previous posts and I'm so excited for the opportunity to meet all of you! I'm a 50 year lady who is self-diagnosed and starting on the journey for an official recognition. I admit, I'm nervous. I've spent my life as an outsider sticking close to home, but I'm ready to reach out and make new friends and share conversations. I'm trying to work on my social skills, since I have a really hard time recognizing when I've overstepped boundaries and offended people. I feel hopeful this will be a safe place where people will correct me kindly when needed. My interests are gardening, writing, and my chickens, goat, and cats. I have a high needs nonverbal son, so I would be thrilled to communicate with nonverbal folks who can advise me.

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin
Hello, I’m Rose. I am a self-diagnosed high functioning ASD, which I confirmed with the Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale - Revised. I found this test in a group on Quora and I was really surprised that I scored solidly as HF-ASD female. I felt a lot of relief because it explains so many questions I’ve had for most of my life about why I feel so different from most people. So now I’ve found this fantastic forum and I can’t wait to get to know you.

Nice to meet you Rose. How does your diagnosis make you feel? How do you feel differently from other people?

Welcome!

33 years old and a resident of South-Africa. I'm going to try and type this, so it makes sense, but I have an idea that it would here

Had always had an idea that there is something not right with me, when I was around the age of 15 my parents took me to a doctor and the doctor diagnosed me with Bi-polar, not sure if that was correct, and my parents never went to get a second opinion.
Went through my head with a quick list of things that came up:
I don't like people (seeing others around me this never seemed normal), don't like small talk when I start getting familiar with someone I can then continue on one subject, usually failing to pick up when people are just being polite and not really listening any more.
To me, it's stupid to greet someone you will see every day at work (waste of breath and time in my eyes)
Can go days without saying a single word to anyone, and can go those days with just grunts.
Detecting sarcasm, joking or seriousness in people is not easy for me, usually people have to point it out to me.
Fidgeting, specially with my habit of rocking/ shaking a leg, while focusing on one thing.

With all that did, the AQ test, finally went to a professional. Diagnosis finally made sense to me, here now I finally don't need to constantly try and figure correct social responses, trying to act as society around perceives as normal and failing.

Unfortunately here, there is no support groups to go here, not really anyone to talk to about these things, not that I really like to talk in the first place.

Hi @Binary_Bark and welcome! I received an initial (mis)diagnosis of bipolar before the ASD was diagnosed. This fits much better with how I see myself and my issues.

Maybe you can find a supporting group here on the forum, I find it a great place to listen in or contribute, as I feel like

see you around!

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

33 years old and a resident of South-Africa. I'm going to try and type this, so it makes sense, but I have an idea that it would here

Had always had an idea that there is something not right with me, when I was around the age of 15 my parents took me to a doctor and the doctor diagnosed me with Bi-polar, not sure if that was correct, and my parents never went to get a second opinion.
Went through my head with a quick list of things that came up:
I don't like people (seeing others around me this never seemed normal), don't like small talk when I start getting familiar with someone I can then continue on one subject, usually failing to pick up when people are just being polite and not really listening any more.
To me, it's stupid to greet someone you will see every day at work (waste of breath and time in my eyes)
Can go days without saying a single word to anyone, and can go those days with just grunts.
Detecting sarcasm, joking or seriousness in people is not easy for me, usually people have to point it out to me.
Fidgeting, specially with my habit of rocking/ shaking a leg, while focusing on one thing.

With all that did, the AQ test, finally went to a professional. Diagnosis finally made sense to me, here now I finally don't need to constantly try and figure correct social responses, trying to act as society around perceives as normal and failing.

Unfortunately here, there is no support groups to go here, not really anyone to talk to about these things, not that I really like to talk in the first place.

Hello, I’m Rose. I am a self-diagnosed high functioning ASD, which I confirmed with the Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale - Revised. I found this test in a group on Quora and I was really surprised that I scored solidly as HF-ASD female. I felt a lot of relief because it explains so many questions I’ve had for most of my life about why I feel so different from most people. So now I’ve found this fantastic forum and I can’t wait to get to know you.

New Threads

Top Bottom