• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hello all, I'm Gerald. I have been having a hard time reconciling my thoughts that still crop up from when I was an adolescent and young adult and sometimes thinking about it have PTSD-like emotions of anxiety wash over me. So, only recently sought a diagnosis. So, found out that, especially with my social blindness, and my focus, along with an exaggerated sense of justice, that I am high functioning on the spectrum.

That explained a lot, and my profoundly delayed social maturity, but the good part was my focus which allowed me to develop technical skills that were in demand (Statistical design of experiments, and Pharma regulatory) and let me work around the world. I still enjoy Paleontology, and Trilobites.

I have a niece who is clearly on the spectrum and enjoy discussing life with her, yet my heart aches if she should encounter the social difficulties I experienced.
May I ask are the experiments vivisection?

May I ask are the experiments vivisection?
The experiments on manufacturing processes were not. Most people are tought that in an experiment one only changes one variable at a time. In Statistical DOE, one varies all independent variables together across several levels of input. That allows one to discern the most important variables and determine the most robust process space.

But, I had done some of what I call soul bruising experiments on rats. I was working at the Michigan Cancer Foundation where my lab was investigating why pregnancy before the age of 30 confers some protection against breast cancer. I had to design experiments to measure DNA synthesis and repair in virgin and parous rats, and it had to be done on whole animals using radioactive tracers, after which I had to work with the mammary gland tissue. Despite trying to be as kind as I could, it was agonizing for me to have to sacrifice the animals. It hurt my sense of abusing another living thing. That left me profoundly depressed at a very bad time in my life where I felt socially isolated. My Friday nights were spent alone, watching the Muppet Show. The only good that came from this was the understanding that pregnancy drives a burst of cell differentiation that results in a longer cell cycle where DNA synthesis slows to a pace that allows repair mechanisms to catch up.

The experiments on manufacturing processes were not. Most people are tought that in an experiment one only changes one variable at a time. In Statistical DOE, one varies all independent variables together across several levels of input. That allows one to discern the most important variables and determine the most robust process space.

But, I had done some of what I call soul bruising experiments on rats. I was working at the Michigan Cancer Foundation where my lab was investigating why pregnancy before the age of 30 confers some protection against breast cancer. I had to design experiments to measure DNA synthesis and repair in virgin and parous rats, and it had to be done on whole animals using radioactive tracers, after which I had to work with the mammary gland tissue. Despite trying to be as kind as I could, it was agonizing for me to have to sacrifice the animals. It hurt my sense of abusing another living thing. That left me profoundly depressed at a very bad time in my life where I felt socially isolated. My Friday nights were spent alone, watching the Muppet Show. The only good that came from this was the understanding that pregnancy drives a burst of cell differentiation that results in a longer cell cycle where DNA synthesis slows to a pace that allows repair mechanisms to catch up.
oh so you still believe in vivisection?I'm an antivivisectionist and believe torture performed on a living sentient being ,who isn't human, is utterly useless ,reasons im not a herbivore,carnivore,who can reproduce in 30 days all the way - 2 months, the best results come from organoids (human tissue grown artificially)

Last edited:
oh so you still believe in vivisection?I'm an antivivisectionist and believe torture performed on a living sentient being ,who isn't human, is utterly useless ,reasons im not a herbivore,carnivore,who can reproduce in 30 days all the way - 2 months, the best results come from organoids (human tissue grown artificially)
I did not say that. And in fact my experience led me to leave that work. But even the tissue you mention must come from a source. Only after I did my work it was found that rat mammary gland epithelial cells grown in suspension aggregated into component structures in a serum deprived media. Were that an appropriate model, I would have preferred that. Still I understand that organoids cannot respond in the manner that a whole animal may respond. The artificial environment cannot duplicate the environment within an organism, so, we are at an impasse

I did not say that. And in fact my experience led me to leave that work. But even the tissue you mention must come from a source. Only after I did my work it was found that rat mammary gland epithelial cells grown in suspension aggregated into component structures in a serum deprived media. Were that an appropriate model, I would have preferred that. Still I understand that organoids cannot respond in the manner that a whole animal may respond. The artificial environment cannot duplicate the environment within an organism, so, we are at an impasse
my first question. had a question! (so I didn't say you said that )mark!!!, I presumed !you still supported animal torture as you said the only thing we got that was good out of it ,which says to me I still believe in vivisection, but don't torture animals now!

my first question. had a question! (so I didn't say you said that )mark!!!, I presumed !you still supported animal torture as you said the only thing we got that was good out of it ,which says to me I still believe in vivisection, but don't torture animals now!
When I got into it, I did not see things in absolutes, yet as I worked, my distaste grew such that I wanted something valuable to come out of it. That is not an excuse or justification, but just my desire to understand that I may not have wasted their little lives needlessly. To say that it is a belief is an oversimplification on your part.

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin
I'm 33, and I live in a nursing home, because I have anorexia, anxiety, and depression.

I have a very strong vibe that I have an autism spectrum disorder, and I'm trying to get an official diagnosis.

When I got into it, I did not see things in absolutes, yet as I worked, my distaste grew such that I wanted something valuable to come out of it. That is not an excuse or justification, but just my desire to understand that I may not have wasted their little lives needlessly. To say that it is a belief is an oversimplification on your part.
you choose to believe that torturing a sentient being has worth I don't, I'll end this now never to discuss anything with you again

I'm 33, and I live in a nursing home, because I have anorexia, anxiety, and depression.

I have a very strong vibe that I have an autism spectrum disorder, and I'm trying to get an official diagnosis.
God loves you he's there with you now and he's there 24\7

Hello, I'm Bert. Diagnosed with ASD about 18 months ago, still finding my way. I'm hoping this forum can be a new home where I can relax and express myself freely. Glad to meet you!

I'll add a few more details, I'm never sure what to say in introductions :blush:

I'm 44, based in NW England in the UK. I'm currently unemployed, in it hard to hold down a job despite being good at most jobs I've had. I feel fortunate to have some abilities with my autism that let me quickly understand systems, as long as dealing with individuals isn't involved I tend to excel, adding people seems to cause random results.. which all makes sense now I'm diagnosed. Prior to my referral I'd never consider that I could be autistic, but looking back it answers every question I've ever had about why my life is the way it is. I'm guessing this is familiar to those with a later in life diagnosis!

I'm 66 never had a official diagnosis figured it out for myself but boy did it explain things. do not consider it a burden, a gift if any thing.

Hi, my name is Helô, but you can call me Lô, Lolô, Louie or Louies too.
I had my ASD diagnosis on 2020 (mild autism), after dozens of tests.
I'm 20yo and have depression, anxiety and ocd too. English isn't my first language (so sorry for my bad english).
I grew up in a big latin family. I love cartoons, comics, animals, greek mitology, true crime stories, biology, astronomy, miniatures and thrillers. I'm also afficionated with Frankeinstein, Vampire Chronicles, music (I'm great at remembering lyrics) and drawing.
I'm bad at rememberings my obligations and, sometimes, my biological needs :(.
But I'm trying to fix this.
I always had this feeling of inadequation, but now I know what it is, so I'm optimistic that the things will get better. :D

Hi @Kari Kluter

welcome to the Forums. This is a good place to hang out for a bit to learn more about autism and see if the diagnosis fits you.

Hi, I am Martha and am not sure I belong here but going to give it a try. Both my brothers have been diagnosed with Aspergers in their fifities or sixties. I am sixty-five and wonder if I am on the spectrum as well. I am introverted by nature and struggle to interact with others. I don't know what to say or know the rules of social exchange. I have told myself it is because what most people care about I don't. Most of the time I am fine being alone and prefer it however I do get lonely, not often but it happens. I have tried a few soical forums but can't seem to fit in. I tend to teach rather than converse or assume the role of a listener of others problems. I tend to be literal.
My brother called me stupid because I often did not "get" jokes.
I have many interests but have two overriding passions. The first is the truth based on supported evidence. While my quest for the truth may be appropriate in certain situations it is not in social ones but I can't seem to stop interjecting it into social interactions. I demand honesty including about oneself and ones actions. The other is my conviction that everything on the planet is connected and all life has value. I am an animal, human and environmental rights activist. I endeavor to live my values not just claim that I hold them. My career was in health care. One of the reasons I went into that field was that it would force me to interact with others within set guidelines. It is easier for me to have control of the interaction, to impart information. I did a lot of teaching within my areas of expertise. I did well for the most part in that setting. Not so well when out of it. I have had a handful of close friends over the years but our paths eventually diverged. Currently I am socially isolated.
I have difficulty with touch. When I was a child I HAD to wear a hat day and night for a long time because I hated the feel of my hair or my head. I still don't know what the issue was but it was about sensation. I could not stand my mother putting things in my hair or pulling it back. As an adult I wear loose fitting clothing. I tried to wear leggings but could not bear the feel of them.
I just read that there are two issues with eye contact. I always thought that I can't be on the spectrum because I can make eye contact but then there is the problem that some on the spectrum make eye contact too long. I make eye contact to connect with others, to show I am really listening. I have never had a problem with making people uncomfortable by it however so I don't know.
Numerous psych evals didn't show anything abnormal (my ex kept trying to get custody of our children) but I don't think they pertained to being on the spectrum. One marriage counselor said I was "quirky". Do I belong here?

Welcome Martha, You can't get a diagnosis here...but you will find it welcoming.

Hopefully you will find some answers here, but you will also find people willing to listen.

Welcome Martha, You can't get a diagnosis here...but you will find it welcoming.

Hopefully you will find some answers here, but you will also find people willing to listen.
Thank you. I don't expect a diagnosis. Just looking for reasons and community. I don't want to be here if I don't belong though. I am considering getting a definitive answer.

New Threads

Top Bottom