• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does noise bother you?

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
I mean on the street where everything is loud. Example cars and buses zoom buy and they are loud. Horns and sirens are the worst. Here is an example.

Then when you are in a crowd of people talking at the same time does the noise level of them talking sound loud the same coming from all directions?

Or if it is quiet in the same room you can hear the buzzing of the lights or sound speakers. That's what I experience at Church on Sundays.

I use to think it was normal growing up my entire life with amplified sound until I found other ASD with the same issues. No wonder I use headphones listening to music outside.

Pretty much anything I don't anticipate coming making sounds at 60hz or lower, or 14,000 hz or higher.

Following one person talking to me or an audience I can follow. But throw in any more people talking over them and I easily lose whatever is being said.

And of course as I've posted many times, screaming children that send me into the rafters usually in any Walmart. It's the sounds I can't anticipate that bother me the most. Though at home I do keep a pair of ear protectors on hand for the landscapers when they use their leaf blowers for a prolonged amount of time.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I left the city was as a result of twenty-four hour construction that lasted for two years. The city decided that they would build a really big medical facility in an area that was forested nearby, where I used to walk my dog. I thought that I would have some sort of breakdown, after a year of very poor sleep.
The street noise was loud enough, but when they added the sound of jackhammers and saws and nail guns twenty-four seven, I began to lose it. An opportunity came up in a smaller more rural area, and both my husband and I left. Funny, we've never gone back. :eek:

I hate buzzing lights, and buzzing streetlights are the worst. I dislike most outside noises, but I enjoy the sound of trucks zooming by. I can remember, had to be 3 or 4, laying in the ditch next to the busy highway listening to the trucks roar by. I remember my mom would get me and bring me in, but first opportunity I was back in the ditch. It was at my grandparents house that they moved out of before I was 5.

I mean on the street where everything is loud. Example cars and buses zoom buy and they are loud. Horns and sirens are the worst. Here is an example.

Then when you are in a crowd of people talking at the same time does the noise level of them talking sound loud the same coming from all directions?

Or if it is quiet in the same room you can hear the buzzing of the lights or sound speakers. That's what I experience at Church on Sundays.

I use to think it was normal growing up my entire life with amplified sound until I found other ASD with the same issues. No wonder I use headphones listening to music outside.
The problem with noise emerged late for me... I had a lot of ear infections and cloggage when I was little, and my ears didn't open up til I was 14. Everything got louder and louder. My mother thought it was just my ears not being used to noise. But I suffered the entire 8th grade, crying, banging my head, and having meltdowns. No one knew or understood why. They just got mad at me for "acting out". Peers thought it was funny to are my suffer from noise. I was ready to kill anyone if they tried to scream in my ear. Luckily, they didn't. I was ready to attack if someone made noise on purpose. I end up screaming and melting down everyday now. Even with earbuds, when that music stops, and if a truck rumbles outside, I'm screaming and attacking. Ear buds only made it to where I'm not in constant torture and agony, but I can't stay on the phone long with people cause of the gd rumbling truckstrucks, planes, and motorcycles that freaking LIVE outside my home! I can't move cause in not ready to love on my own, and shelters for disabled people like me would be packed. Life is the h word. High pitched noises feel like knives piercing or stabbing my ears. Rumbling or bumping noises feel like my eardrums are being punched. I'm recovering from a meltdown now.

I forgot I to had allergies so my hearing was not as good as a kid however when the allergies went away in my teen years after my hearing improved and the loud noises bothered me.

I can't stand it when I am in a crowd of people and everyone is talking. The worst is when I am at a concert and people scream in my hears. I get tempted to punch them.

I pay a lot where I am living now, but it's relatively quiet compared to most other places. And with renting you never know if you suddenly have a noisy neighbor on the other side of your wall.

Seems these days that developers want to build highrise apartments in highly congested areas. Ugh...all that street noise in four directions. No thanks. :eek:

Yes!!!! Many times my hearing is very sensitive and loud traffic sounds are very shocking. Also bright LED headlights practically blind me.

There was an alarm sounding just now for 30 minutes. I found it annoying momentarily when it began. But then I found it fitted into the background. I realised what would've annoyed me more is if the office had been full of people. As there's 2 people here who do nothing but complain all day and I know hearing them complain would've been more upsetting than the alarm. Even when it stopped I know they're the sort to make a song and dance about it. Toxic people.

Ed

There was an alarm sounding just now for 30 minutes. I found it annoying momentarily when it began. But then I found it fitted into the background. I realised what would've annoyed me more is if the office had been full of people. As there's 2 people here who do nothing but complain all day and I know hearing them complain would've been more upsetting than the alarm. Even when it stopped I know they're the sort to make a song and dance about it. Toxic people.

Ed
I used to live in a downtown apartment on the 6th floor. A neighbor down the hall was always on drugs, and several times a month she would fall asleep with food cooking on the stove. The fire alarm would go off and we would have to run down the stairs. It was maddening.

One reason I'm glad I didn't stay in student dorms at university. Apparently the fire alarms would go off multiple times a week at stupid o'clock and the whole building had to be evacuated.

Ed

Yes, it does. The video is exactly what it's like for me. I always thought that it was the same for everyone until I first saw a simulation video and what a revelation that was, that how I perceive sensory input is so different that experienced by the majority of people.

When trying to sleep it can become a problem for sure, but my experience doesn't line up with the video above. I can tune it out for the most part, but there are certain sounds (people being needlessly loud, yelling for example) that still drive me up the wall.

Good thing the author of that video put up a disclaimer. It really depends on the person and probably varies depending on what, and I imagine there are some without ASD who also have similar experiences.

Yes, it very often does. Like for example every time we have snow I hear the snow plows going up and down the streets all night long. I'm glad that they're clearing all the snow, but a stampeding herd of elephants can't be half as noisy.

Those buses and trucks are really loud for me.

As for growing up in my teen years I use to not understand how my cousins did not jump at loud noises like I did. Only me and my fully autistic sister would do that which made me think before I knew I had Asperger's that I had some of what she had.

I imagine there are some without ASD who also have similar experiences.
My friend Justin who does not have ASD I sent the video surprised me saying sometimes he experiences what is in that video and he likes to look at the sidewalk cracks. He does not have extreme like those who are ASD like me but I was still surprised. Thinking he so together he can talk easily to new people.

I like the sound of birds and nature. You do get birds chirping in the mornings in the city but after that it's just noisy.

New Threads

Top Bottom