• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does being young equal to being foolish?

The Phantom

Hi all, just something that's been floating around in my head lately.

I've been told on this very forum that some of my emotions, emotions other have felt are because the naivety that comes with being young. But when others older than I say they feel the same things, it's credited to their age, and their amount of experience that comes with their age.
I've been told that my hopes of achieving my dreams, and my believing that there's a possibility of them coming true is because of my age. They say that they believe in only facts, logic, and reality, and they say it like I don't live by those too. That think of my tiny sliver of optimism cancels out any larger amounts of logic and reasoning, and they act like I'm just a happy-clappy young teen who believes there's good and kindness and everyone, and act like I've been depressed for a while and have thought of killing myself.
Now, don't think that I"m saying that you should think every young person you ever meet is a logical, well-spoken human who has incredible judgement and reasoning, and who's opinions trump others of higher authority. Trust me, I know every kid my age (ESPECIALLY including me) has made their fair share of idiotic choices. But people act like because I believe that I can achieve my goals, that I'm just being an innocent kid. Not someone who's suffered form several mental disorders their whole life. They think that when I say I hope, that I sit around waiting for something good to happen to me, and not that I've worked most of my days trying to achieve this, a the expense of what others think of me.

Thoughts? Sorry for the typical teen angst rant :rolleyes:.

In my experience, age has nothing to do with a person's outlook on life. People like to assume that that because they have more miles on the gallon, that they're more entitled to certain feelings than those who are younger. But to take the metaphor a step further, just because a 1950's Cadillac has been driving for longer than the 2015 Ford Fiesta does not make it the superior car.

Experience can dictate both many outcomes and many perspectives, but not all. I don't believe that age itself is directly proportional to experience, either. However if one is both young and without much experience in life, expect more resistance from others who are both older and more experienced in life.

Conversely demand less resistance if your own experience backs up your perspective, regardless of your age. A dynamic somewhat relative to the difference between being bookwise and streetwise. That both experiences have their place in life.

Hope and optimism? They're good to have at any age, regardless of one's experience or lack thereof.

IMO the best foundation for success is to have experienced failure. And yet be able to retain enough optimism to persevere in eventually overcoming such failure. No matter how others may think or comment about it.

Last edited:
I't a bit of an overgeneralization to say that youth comes with optimism and foolishness. These depend on a lot of factors, such as personality, personal circumstances and experiences, and level of emotional materity. People mature and evolve at different rates and in different ways. I have comes across quite a few extremely cynical 16-year-olds, some very mature beyond their years, and also a few emotionally immature 40-year-olds. People on the spectrum can often seem to be wise beyond their years, but be emotionally immature inside and vulnerable.

Nahh, I don't think so. Sure, there's a strong correlation, but I don't think they're necessarily tied. G.G. Allin once said, "It's not how old you are, but the convictions you carry." And I think that's true. Some of the most deluded and self-righteous (not necessarily foolish) people I've ever met are up there in years, and some of the wisest individuals I've ever met are around my age. Of course the reverse is true as well, otherwise there wouldn't be the previous assumption. But it's not as widespread as people would think.

I'm completely with Judge on this one. And it all depends on how you define "foolish"... A "fool," in my opinion, is someone who blatantly disregards facts and common sense, and is resistant to learning or experiencing life as it is. I could say "naïveté," which also carries a negative connotation, but the difference is that naïveté is something that is rectified with knowledge and experience (especially the latter). The word I would choose is "innocence"...which is also rectified by knowledge and experience.

I'm of the Millennial generation, and to be perfectly blunt I think many of my peers truly are "foolish" in that they think that they can be successful and/or change the world if only they try...which is not necessarily the case. You can succeed, and (who knows?) maybe even change the world, but it requires a great deal of thought and planning and a realistic knowledge of the skills and talents you possess, as well as your limitations. No matter how young you are, if you have that optimism but also realize that you need to work hard toward your goals, then no, I don't think you are a fool at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom