• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Aspergers make YOU lazy?

I can get some things done when I need to. Zoning out is a big problem for me, Especially when Im watching a movie or t.v. Some people have to literally stand in front of my face to get the word across. I tend to daydream a lot.

@ Music: I'm an Olympic class zoner-outer too: we should begin a club or something!

@ Gomendosi: Every now & then you post something like this that is thoroughly enjoyable to read. You cracked me right up! Can't stop laughing!

NO! I don't love to work, but give me an iPod, and a semi stress free day and I'm alright to work for an hour or two... I consider myself to have an above average work ethic.

I'll be honest, my Aspeger's makes me lazy in a way. I did terrible in college because I applied no effort into my classes. I didn't put any effort into my classes because they didn't interest me at all. Hardly cracked open a book and never studied for those 2 years. I can openly say that was me being lazy due to my Asperger's.

But on the upside my Asperger's makes me kick ass at everything that does interest me. I can fix any kind of motor. I can offer endless advice and knowledge on the subject of aquariums. I make an average of $3,000 a year by sport fishing.

So for me my Asperger's makes me super lazy with things that I don't care about, but I can learn anything I want about something I enjoy.

I wouldn't quite call it lazy. Like others have said, it is more a combination of avoidance and being overtaxed just being an Aspie on this planet. In the place I used to live, I would often avoid doing laundry because it meant leaving the house and using the communal washers, meaning that there was a chance I would have to interact with a neighbor when I didn't want to. So I would leave it until later. Or I would avoid going out to the mailbox because I would probably have to interact with the neighbor sitting on their porch. If my "battery" is low, it makes sense to conserve - wouldn't you agree?

I'm not really lazy. I work my tail off in my carpet cleaning business. I would love to keep my home and yard spotless and organized, but after cleaning carpet all day the last thing I want to do is come home and work, so I'm sure there are a few who see my house and think I'm lazy. Even during my slower months I have to admit I have a hard time getting motivated to clean house. I feel like I need to save my energy for when i am working.

I work harder than most people I know. I work 40-60 hours a week as an engineer and don't spend it socializing on smoke or coffee breaks like many do. I drive 700 miles in a weekend to make sure my daughter can be here and take time to raise her too. I fix everything myself because I can't afford to do it any other way. And I'm always pushed to do more, usually by those who spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing.

But because of the possible AS traits of being able to visualize and fix anything, and being an honest and no BS hard worker, more is expected of me than of others. Everybody has shown me this over time... family, work, exes, courts. Everybody except my daughter who is more like me and understands me more than anyone else. So not only am I called lazy when I don't accomplish the ridiculous amount that is expected of me, or take a moment of time for myself, but I feel lazy too.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss is 100% correct. Oh how I would love to just go live in a shack out in the middle of nowhere, after my daughter grows up.

I don't think it necessarily does! However I do find it hard to organise myself, so aren't always as productive as I could be. I do try and make a real effort with work that I have to do, so I wouldn't call myself lazy.

I tend to bite off more than I can chew then a seemingly simple idea balloons into a major project which kicks my procrastination into high gear. Then I do a little bit at a time and wind up taking a year to finish something that I thought was a weekend project...

I think most of us here have so much on our plates that we do act "lazy" to the untrained eye, but all of that social interaction, the loud noises, the random things that grab our attention, the stimming. These can be so tiring that it isn't surprising that we might procrastinate over a few household jobs or homework.

In a past relationship I was accused of being lazy. I think about that a lot because, well, it annoyed the hell out of me.

At the time, I had 3 jobs and never watched TV because I was busy reading/researching for those jobs. I rarely went to bed before 2am for the same reasons.

However, I can see where the other person was coming from. I could be found napping on the Sofa in the middle of the afternoon, because I'd only had 3 hours sleep the night before. And I could be so wrapped up in what I was reading that I might not have noticed the bins were overflowing.

Etc..

Can anyone relate to this? Do you feel Aspergers has made you lazy, or the opposite?

Maybe it's not laziness as much as selfishness?

Or perhaps I'm just a jerk!
What you are describing is the exact same thing that my abusive ex did to me too. Sensory overload tires me out and I react to that by getting rest. He was convinced that was laziness, and my abusive father did the exact same thing.

I would say that I'm lazy regarding anything that is outside my circle of obsessions!
A good and a bad thing, at least it allows me to develop those obsessions extremely quickly as I'm not spending time on tasks I deem irrelevant, like the dreaded housework.
Its very difficult for me to even care about something I just have no passion for, so I guess I am a bit lazy and maybe it is Aspie related.

I am selfish enough that I no longer waste my energy on unthinking idiots.

I am always tired no matter what I do... why can't those people walk a mile in my shoes?

I have to agree with you. I find this to be very true for me as well. And I've always had problems with my sleep. I either need a lot of sleep, sometimes very little sleep or on the extreme no matter how much sleep I get I'm still tired.

Y
I like to think of it as 'avoidance' rather than lazy..........if I am overwhelmed by life's burdens, then I don't always do everything others think I should be doing. I nap a lot in order to recoup from whatever stress I'm going thru at the moment. Work really stresses me out. I work in retail, which is probably the worst place for an Aspie to work, but the cats have to eat! So I work, I come home and I colapse on the sofa (with a cat), then I get up and do whatever really really has to be done. When I feel good, then I try to get as much done as possible to make up for avoiding stuff at other times.
I think Aspies just get so overwhelmed so often that we have to take a lot of "time outs" just to keep going. Am I making any sense??!!!

Your making perfect sense. And I have to agree with you. When I worked in hospitality I found that I had to put on a social mask for those couple of hours then when I went home I'd just sit in silence and regroup for a couple of hours. I get overwhelmed a lot as well.

I
Generally I've been the opposite of lazy - I would be the one doing everything. But I have my moments. Like lately. First, I can't stand walking around my house. My carpets are in VERY BAD need of steam cleaning thanks to two toddlers emptying a bottle of ketchup on the floor, and spilling drinks, etc. I mean it's so bad that your feet are black by the end of day. I have tried to keep it as clean as possible but we can't afford a steam cleaner right now so I've had to "just deal". And it's very hard for me to do that. It's like a cheese grater on my skin when my feet stick to the floor, or when things stick to them. So that makes it hard to motivate myself to get up and do stuff which ends up compounding the problem. Also I have fallen off my routine due to my husband swapping jobs to one with unpredictable job hours. I try to get things done when he's at work but I'm not on a scheduel so it's tough. Plus I'm dealing with a "social" situation doing a freelance job and that is stressful plus it takes time to do the job itself. And then there's my 6 month old who seems to have a come apart if I'm not holding him all the time. So whether or not I am lazy I feel lazy and have apologized to my husband several times for being lazy. He says I'm not but I do feel it.

I think your being too hard on yourself

I don't think I am, but I'm sure when I get to work in the morning it looks like it. I get in and slowly log in, check my email, get a drink, etc. and spend about 30-40 minutes before I hop on the phone (I work in tech support). The problem is with my difficulty in handling transitions, and when everyone gets in in the morning it's louder with people being social and I can't concentrate. So I need some extra time to drop into "work mode".

I do the same thing when I get home, I need at least 20 minutes before I can interact with people or start in on chores. Usually at home that means walking around the house, petting the dog, sitting alone, or putting items away (a *useful* method of walking around the house, haha). My boss assigns me (paid) extra projects because of my art background, and doesn't understand that even though I get off at 6pm I don't always have time to spend a half hour on something. I have to get home, adjust, eat, shower, take care of the dog, and usually spend time with my boyfriend so he doesn't feel neglected and by then I need to start thinking about going to bed, because it takes me forever to fall asleep.

Lazy, no. I've been called lazy all my life, but when it gets down to it, I have an abundance of energy for things I LOVE doing. Everything else just stems from lack of motivation. Why clean my room? It's not bothering me, if it bothers you, you should clean it. Why brush my hair? It'll just look like this again tomorrow. Ect, ect.

In a past relationship I was accused of being lazy. I think about that a lot because, well, it annoyed the hell out of me.

At the time, I had 3 jobs and never watched TV because I was busy reading/researching for those jobs. I rarely went to bed before 2am for the same reasons.

However, I can see where the other person was coming from. I could be found napping on the Sofa in the middle of the afternoon, because I'd only had 3 hours sleep the night before. And I could be so wrapped up in what I was reading that I might not have noticed the bins were overflowing.

Etc..

Can anyone relate to this? Do you feel Aspergers has made you lazy, or the opposite?

Or perhaps I'm just a jerk!
It is clear that this person you speak of was confusing laziness with disappointment in where and how you choose to spend your time. Anyone working three jobs is clearly not lazy. Love Yourself.

Etc..

Or perhaps I'm just a jerk![/Q

No! I am a extremely hard worker especially in school

New Threads

Top Bottom