• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone on the spectrum have this problem

I have this problem a lot, too. It can be frustrating because I know the things I miss, but they don't come to mind when I need them. Writing things down can help in some situations, but it depends.

I don't have experience with that particular problem, though that's because of my own problem with that whole situation of listing complaints, but I do often forget things in just about any list I make. Most often grocery lists. I'll put everything I can remember on the list, then look through the house to make sure I didn't miss anything, and by the time I'm back from the store, I'll realize I forgot something. I can't remember a time when I didn't forget something, usually an unhealthy snack or an obscure cooking ingredient, but still something. So no, its not just you

I've handed over an A4 sheet of paper to my GP on which I've listed all symptoms, in advance, before now.

I just know I'll start elaborating and getting into back stories and histories without mentioning the most important or relevant points once I'm in that consulting room, face to face.

I'd always assumed my hijacked memory was because I was uncomfortable, anxious and not expecting to be believed.

I think it is our perfectionism. The list is never complete. Even if you did give that information, you would remember another thing. Our minds never rest. This new item is our minds keeping finding something else to add. If that was an important item, they all are.
We just can't remember it all. We already remember much, compared to neurotypicals.

New Threads

Top Bottom