• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone on the spectrum have this problem

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
Hi

This problem is a real nuisance.
I want to know if it is an autism/asperger's thing.
Whenever I have to report a list of problems to a certain person/organisation, I always miss out something important, despite giving myself time to go through all I want to report.
I'll give you an example. I had a boiler condemned as there was a gas smell coming from it. There were other problems with it. When the plumber came to fix it, I told him all the other problems but forgot to tell him about the gas smell.
He wasnt very pleased as he said it was an important thing to miss.
Is this an autism/asperger's thing or is it just me?

Yes, it's very frustrating... I'm always having those face-palm moments.

I think I'm on the spectrum, but not clinically diagnosed... I've taken some tests, which have all come back with me on the high side...

I do this all the freaking time, usually in the doctor's office. Sometimes I wish I could just plug my brain into their computer and download experiences and thoughts directly to my chart. Would love to bypass the "coherent thought-to-verbal" process that always misses something big...

Hi

Whenever I have to report a list of problems to a certain person/organisation, I always miss out something important, despite giving myself time to go through all I want to report.
I'll give you an example. I had a boiler condemned as there was a gas smell coming from it. There were other problems with it. When the plumber came to fix it, I told him all the other problems but forgot to tell him about the gas smell.
reasons in both neurologies:very mild dementia,early stage brain tumour,stress,depression,brain damage,stroke,no socialization from birth -not being taught to be efficient.

All the time. On the phone, service people, doctors, etc. I try and make myself sit and think it thru and write things down in advance so when the time comes I can refer to it.

Something about the social nervousness perhaps. Tends to wipe my brain memory away.

I do this all the freaking time, usually in the doctor's office. Sometimes I wish I could just plug my brain into their computer and download experiences and thoughts directly to my chart. Would love to bypass the "coherent thought-to-verbal" process that always misses something big...
It's not just verbal with me. I emailed someone and missed out the most important thing :(

All the time. On the phone, service people, doctors, etc. I try and make myself sit and think it thru and write things down in advance so when the time comes I can refer to it.

Something about the social nervousness perhaps. Tends to wipe my brain memory away.
I had to email someone about a problem and I was trying to convince them of the cause but I missed the most important thing that would give them evidence that is the cause. I want to write back and tell them it is my autism but I need to knwo it is as I dont want to lie.

Yes, this is such a pain and can be really embarrassing. For myself, it seems to be because like many people on the spectrum I am sensitive to my environment and very wary of social interaction, so tend to try to plan every aspect of the social interaction, fussing over little details and so I then forget really crucial information because of anxiety about the interaction.

Sounds like a typical executive functioning problem. ASD is one of many conditions afflicted with it. From Wikipedia "Executive functions are impaired in multiple disorders including anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, schizophrenia and autism.". My wife is ADHD and bipolar so worse than me.

Even when I write a list, I will forget something and that is because of anxiety. It is stressful to communicate with people and so, the brain goes into overdrive!

Always.
I try to remember or write down everything that I need to tell someone, but, mind just blanks
some things out it seems.
Then I have to call later to ask or tell something I should have done at the time.
And, yes, doctor visits are the worst.
Also if I feel rushed or pushed by someone.

When I was preparing for my first interview with my psychologist for my autism screening I knew myself well enough to start making a list of my life and daily experiences as it pertained to my perceived autism. Well, it became titled "Random Thoughts",...an itemized list of what ended up being 175 things that I thought would give some weight towards my diagnosis. It took me nearly a month of introspection and writing things down, a few per day. I am laughing in my head right now. In the 1990's comedian Jeff Foxworthy had a schtick "You might be a redneck if..." Right now, that list I made could have been titled "You might be an autistic if..." I know my psychologist was quite impressed with it,...I don't know if it was of any use,...but she was impressed.;)

When I was preparing for my first interview with my psychologist for my autism screening I knew myself well enough to start making a list of my life and daily experiences as it pertained to my perceived autism. Well, it became titled "Random Thoughts",...an itemized list of what ended up being 175 things that I thought would give some weight towards my diagnosis. It took me nearly a month of introspection and writing things down, a few per day. I am laughing in my head right now. In the 1990's comedian Jeff Foxworthy had a schtick "You might be a redneck if..." Right now, that list I made could have been titled "You might be an autistic if..." I know my psychologist was quite impressed with it,...I don't know if it was of any use,...but she was impressed.;)

I have a similar file on my laptop LOL. Mine is even color coded (but I did it so long ago, I forget what the color codes mean because I am pretty sure I forgot to write that part down).

I do this (forgetting important stuff) all the time. I tend to make lists...then forget that I have the list/forget to look at the list and forget the important stuff anyway.

Hi

Try to rewire your memory look up memory palaces it makes remembering words picture based instead of text based.

Yes, all the time. Important things, too. I often forget things I need from the supermarket because I get distra... er, what was I going to say? :)

New Threads

Top Bottom