• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone hide their Autism?

Yes, but is it really YOU that is fitting in? If so, than you have achieved something most of us here can only dream about.
I try to fit in yes, of course. I‘m sharing many interests with a lot of people out there. To find my place to get a job in my filed of interest I‘m at least willing to try and learn. Sometimes it works better sometimes less. I‘m optimistic.

This is gonna need some context.

I go to a school(Tobinworld) for children and adolescents on the spectrum and ones who are emotionally disurbed.
Unrelated question, but is this a California-only thing? I have never heard of this school.
But the thing is, the classes are split between the classes for the autistic kids and the ones for the ED(emotionally disturbed) kids. When I first went to that school to interview for it, the principal said that he is having trouble in placing me in one or the other since I have been diagnosed with both.

But I was ultimately put in a class for ED students. I first discovered my class was anti-autism during a conversation I overheard my classmates having.
They were insulting the students from the autistic classes behind their backs and one of my classmates told me more when I asked why they were doing that(I made it look like I was asking the question out of mere curiosity).

They said (paraphrased) that the kids in the autistic were stupid retards(Which made me assume in my head that they were low functioning but this is just an assumption as I haven't actually met an autistic student there yet personally) and one of my classmates began flapping his arms around spastically to mock stereotypically autistic people.

That's all I know due that being the only time autism was mentioned at class however but it was still enough to make me be more cautious than I previously was at school.
Oh, wow. That sounds awful. Do you have the option to get transferred to a different school at any time, or is this school your only option?
Sorry for the tl;dr btw.
No problem, man. It wasn't too long, and I read all of it.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was 13. I’m 17 now, and the last four years have been anything but smooth.
The first time I ever saw the word “aspie,” it was being used as an insult after I admitted that I had Aspergers Syndrome on an online chat. I was targeted by a troll who knew exactly how to push my buttons.
Then, there were the times when I told my close friends. When I told Amelia, it made my strange behavior and social inexperience make much more sense to her, and she learned to be patient with me. When I told Firefly, my best friend, it didn’t really change anything, which is good, because we’re really good friends.

The point is, you should be careful who you tell. Only tell someone if you really trust them.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was 13. I’m 17 now, and the last four years have been anything but smooth.
The first time I ever saw the word “aspie,” it was being used as an insult after I admitted that I had Aspergers Syndrome on an online chat. I was targeted by a troll who knew exactly how to push my buttons.
Then, there were the times when I told my close friends. When I told Amelia, it made my strange behavior and social inexperience make much more sense to her, and she learned to be patient with me. When I told Firefly, my best friend, it didn’t really change anything, which is good, because we’re really good friends.

The point is, you should be careful who you tell. Only tell someone if you really trust them.
Dude, you have, like, the best friends anybody could ever have! I've been diagnosed since I was 8, but really didn't have many friends for a while. However, my best friend, Nate, who I have met in the 6th grade, is also an Aspie, and we just understand our behaviors very well, since we are both Aspies.

Unrelated question, but is this a California-only thing? I have never heard of this school.
I think it is.
Oh, wow. That sounds awful. Do you have the option to get transferred to a different school at any time, or is this school your only option?
This is my only option and I'm actually fine with it actually. What I described was only one conversation and other than that, it's a actually a pretty great school over all. So don't worry; I'm in good hands.

This is my only option and I'm actually fine with it actually. What I described was only one conversation and other than that, it's a actually a pretty great school over all. So don't worry; I'm in good hands.
Oh, okay. Just making sure. Maybe try telling the teachers?

I feel like I’m more on guard around people since not many people know that I am on the spectrum,since I found out a few years ago I have been more aware of my behaviour and though I don’t think people would automatically think autism with me I have been proven wrong and have had some people pick up on it,I do feel like I have to put on a mask when I’m around people and at the same time it’s hard for me to let my guard down,there are many factors to why I feel the need to be guarded because I have been taken advantage of by other people and got hurt in the process,also I would rather people not know too much about me since I feel like some things should only be said on a need to know basis and I don’t need to declare it to the world.

Last edited:
I have to hide, otherwise I'd lose my job, perhaps my marriage would suffer more too. I was "taught" how to control all those "weird urges" by getting whoopings from my step father. It worked, but played a heavy toll on my mind and still does.

I've spent my entire life not being aware of possibly being autistic, but everyone I know or meet know that something is "off" or "zaney" about me. I really have no idea how much masking I do if I am autistic, but I'm doing my best to get on with others, and it's often not good enough, so if I am trying to hide it due to all this, I don't think I'm good at hiding it.

I've spent my entire life not being aware of possibly being autistic, but everyone I know or meet know that something is "off" or "zaney" about me. I really have no idea how much masking I do if I am autistic, but I'm doing my best to get on with others, and it's often not good enough, so if I am trying to hide it due to all this, I don't think I'm good at hiding it.

I too spent most of my life masking my traits and behaviors without a clue of being on the spectrum of autism. It was only around the age of 55 when I more or less stumbled on the possibility of being Neurodiverse that began to answer so many mysteries to who- and what I am.

Sometimes I could get away with the masquerade, and other times probably not. Where my most successful interactions with others were more likely a matter that they never had a clue, or simply didn't mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom