• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here have family members who also have aspergers, as well as themselves

chuckintime

I was wondering about it running in family it says its possible its a genetic trait, would that mean if I decided to have kids they might also have it as well. Sorry my question mark key isn't working so I must use periods.

Re: Does anyone here have family members who also have aspergers, as well as themselv

Nobody in my family that i'm aware of is diagnosed but i really do wonder sometimes.

Re: Does anyone here have family members who also have aspergers, as well as themselv

My Mum is diagnosed with Aspergers and its more severe in her.

Hello, my son (clone?) and I have a formal diagnosis. I strongly suspect my late father and grandfather (paternal) "had it." One of my three siblings likely has it.

wow that must be interesting at family get togethers. I have been wondering about a few of my family members because my sister is very much like me.

My brother is on the spectrum (whether or not he acknowledges it), more intensely than I in most ways. My dad was an engineer, and is very quiet and mellow and freakishly good at math, but he doesn't have the traits that my brother and I share.

I was recently at a family function for one of my wife's old friends, and there was a range of spectrumness from the Grandmother on down. They knew a teenage grandson is on the spectrum, didn't realize his sister is probably on there though a bit milder, and Grandma, with whom I spoke for a solid hour, and who only made eye contact with me after I mentioned my Asperger's halfway through, wouldn't admit that she was probably on the autism spectrum, too. Seemed to skip her daughters' generation, though.

It was definitely interesting!

I think the reason it can be so difficult to sometimes notice is that with a thing like aspies it can be so different in everyone. especially as they get older, I believe most kids start out fairly close to the same, but life experiences can shape the way we deal with our "aspies" which makes it look different to people looking from the outside like a doctor or something. Like when I was a kid my step dad noticed I couldn't make eye contact, and he pretty much beat me until I automatically looked him in the eyes every time i spoke to him for fear of what might happen, but that gos on into adulthood and now one of my "symptoms"(hate to call it that, but for lack of a better word) will no longer be noticed by anyone including doctors...

I was always consider just a miserable, nasty person and for decades I believed it. When I was in my early 60s I learned I have AS. A huge light bulb went off in my head and I realized my father was even more Aspie than I. I wish he had lived to learn about AS. He never had friends and my mother spent every minute they were together berating him (and also me) for being so weird. I have no reason why she married him. She absolutely ruined my life and taught me to hate myself. My mother died at 52 and my father at 72. Neither had ever heard of AS though my father was probably aware of Autism.

Autism is heredetary. My doctor, at Karolinska, said autism had a heredetary of 0.9 (I think that means 90% - although I may be wrong), and she just said Autism, not Asperger specifically. I asked the same question you did.

As for my family. I have a nephew with an Asperger diagnose. My father most likely has it. A have a brother with an ADHD diagnose (I have both Asperger and ADHD) and my other brother is most likely an Aspie even if he doesn't think so.

Then there's a lot of spectumness around the family... our gatherings are always loud... at least 3-4 topics going at the same time with people jumping around in them so anyone not an aspie/ADHD gets completely confused :D

That sounds quite similar to my family. It was quite the thanksgiving... lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom