1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Does anyone else use imaginary conversations with trusted people to guide them?

Discussion in 'Friends, Family & Social Skills' started by Nervous Rex, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

Once I get to know someone well, I start to form a mental model of them. When I need to figure out how to react to something, how to approach a problem, etc., I will consult with my mental model as if I were talking to that person.

One mental model is of a good friend, another is of a counselor who helped me a lot, and other models are of leaders, coworkers, etc.

I imagine discussing the problem with them, and try to guess what they would say about it.

Like, "<X> would say this isn't your problem." or "<Y> would ignore what I said I wanted to do and ask what outcome I want to achieve." or "<Z> would not care about how I solve this problem, but would ask if the approach is maintainable for future project."

Often, their answers are better than my first knee-jerk thoughts about how to approach something.

Does anyone else do this?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

Yeah. I often accidentally have such conversations half in my head and half aloud. People often look at me funny.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. BraidedPony

BraidedPony Just Enjoying Survival V.I.P Member

Yes I do, but have tried not to because it sounds crazy. I'm going to go ahead now and do it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Yep. Though no one ever follows the script.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Oh thank God it's not just me. I don't feel good about the fact that I do this....glad to know I'm not the only one!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Nervous Rex

I have no problem with doing it - I'm just surprised so often that my mental model gives me better answers than my other thought processes do. I have no explanation for that.

I have noticed that if I ask the same (or similar) question multiple times, that I do eventually internalize the answer and I don't have to go to the mental model for it any more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nervous Rex

It only sounds crazy when I ask myself out loud, "What would I do if I were smart?"

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. clg114

clg114 Still crazy, after all these years. Staff Member V.I.P Member

I quite often rehearse important conversations before anything is said. This helps me keep from saying wrong or hurtful things. I do have a tendency to say things that I am thinking out loud. The strange looks get me to thinking "Oh, did I just say that out loud?"

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Yes, and I've gotten important insights from it! I once told a friend about how helpful he was and he was like, "When?" and I was like, "Today! In mah head! :D"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. LucyPurrs

LucyPurrs NT, INFJ V.I.P Member

What a fascinating idea! I'm going to try it. Thanks Nervous Rex. BTW you are really, really, really, far from stupid.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Nervous Rex

I try not to brag. It's not fair that I'm smart, talented, dashingly handsome, and humble, too.

On a more serious note, saying "What would I do if I was smart?" is a way for me to stall for time, inject a little humor, and not take myself too seriously.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Nervous Rex

Oh, this. When I have my imaginary conversations, I make facial expressions and gestures. Then I have to stop when I round a corner and see a real person.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Aspychata

Aspychata But this is my happy face.....

l wonder do NT's do this?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nervous Rex

I wouldn't know. I only talk to them in my head.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Shamar

Shamar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Yes, I have long, involved discussions in my head. In fact, I am discussing what I am about to say in my head, even as I type. The difference is, I am having the discussion with myself. Since I have never had any friends, there is nobody who has risen enough to trust. I am all I've got. For other minds, sometimes I converse with fictional characters from books I've read.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have these conversations with particular persons in my head, but they think pretty much like I do. But that's why I get along with these people so well. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bere

Bere Bere

I tend to imagine conversations with various people a lot. I think it's actually helped me learn foreign languages because I get some practice from having imaginary conversations in Spanish or Italian. I also have a tendency to say my thoughts out loud my mistake so I made a habit of folding my tongue back in my mouth so I can't accidentally say weird things.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have the same experience and I have no explanation for it either. I swear that's how I passed my AP chem exam in my senior year.

I can explain this a lot better than I could when I was younger and didn't know what was going on in my own head (to explain it adequately). I was labeled delusional because of it. I don't think I would be labeled that way now.

I had no idea there were so many of us that do this though! That's so cool to know.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor

with my bum(ass,arse), apart from that dont have that type of imagination ,do talk to myself or to discussions or comments on tv,sort of the cats ,house flies ,or in panic that bees ,butterflies will be caught in a spiders web.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I sometimes imagine whole long ongoing stories with myself as someone else, this is enjoyable. But yes I also try to use what I would call internalised others as advisers. Most of us I think have internalised our parents carers or others and they are a mixed bag, so I ditched a lot of what was coming from parents internalised messages a long time ago, gradually learning from better role models such as friends counsellors people on telly and my cat.

• Like Like x 3