• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Anyone Else Struggle With Party Games?

anxiety247

Does anyone have friends that tries to play party games, but you struggle with it?

One of them is the Jackbox games for example. Those that require you to come up with a word or something on the spot and you want to make it funny.

But the thing is, my mind always goes blank which seems like a common thing with Aspergers. We get like a minute to think of something and I'm just trying to think " ... um cactus? No that makes no sense and not funny at all... uh... uh.. " and they are like "well...? 20 seconds left"

They don't know I have Aspergers yet, as I haven't been comfortable telling anyone yet. But I also don't want to keep saying that I can't play because eventually it will be obvious I don't want to play. I prefer games that I can just choose something, like Uno or dice rolling games.

I'm curious if any other aspies have tried playing this game and how well do you do with it?

Hello and welcome along.

I have never felt at ease with party games and often found myself hyperventilating. I now do not even go there.

Yes, my mind would go blank too and it would be so embarrassing, as everyone is waiting for you to partipate. I would go very red and be rooted to the spot.

Adult hood is not a bad thing; you get to make your own choices.

It really depends on the party games + how well I know whoever I’m playing the games with.
Like Beer Pong for instance is okay, because the way it’s like played means you don’t really need to navigate any intense social situations.
But say Cards Against Humanity, well it’s dangerous.
I’ll put it this way.
The closer I am to the people around me, the more comfortable I am putting myself in more varied/dynamic social situations because I at least have a better idea of the personalities around me, & conversely, that they (hopefully) have a better idea of my own quirks & can interpret my actions/words with more ease.

I'm curious if any other aspies have tried playing this game and how well do you do with it?
I have never played this game and probably never would - I'd most definitely struggle with this. I'm no good at banter which is what this basically sounds like.

I can't stand party games, or card games, or board games. They just seem so odd, and pointless. Party games usually mean body contact with others - card games and board games just have endless sets of rules. I can't be doing with them.

I do better when there are party games, as opposed to just a bunch of people thrown together to socialize in a room.
The games bring structure as opposed to spontaneity and extemporaneous talking.
But yeah, it depends on the game! Games that give you more time to prepare are obviously gonna be less stressful.

Ask for a "skip" option, so you can skip your turn. This will take pressure off you and keep the game moving quickly.

Parties = real time social interaction. :oops:
Party Games = intense real time social interaction. :eek:

Both reflect inherently arduous circumstances for a lot of us on the spectrum of autism.

Sometimes avoidance is both the simplest- and best response to such things.

It really depends on the party games + how well I know whoever I’m playing the games with.
Like Beer Pong for instance is okay, because the way it’s like played means you don’t really need to navigate any intense social situations.
But say Cards Against Humanity, well it’s dangerous.
I’ll put it this way.
The closer I am to the people around me, the more comfortable I am putting myself in more varied/dynamic social situations because I at least have a better idea of the personalities around me, & conversely, that they (hopefully) have a better idea of my own quirks & can interpret my actions/words with more ease.

I am actually more comfortable with Cards Against Humanity than Jack Box, because I can just select something randomly and still get by with it. I at least don't have to come up with words on the spot.

The thing is, I play games with these people all the time and they are my friends. But they are social-able people who like to play party games too and I guess they just don't realize my struggle with it. I guess I should bring this up to them eventually but I want to be ready first.

It just difficult when I'm hanging out with a group of friends and having fun, then they want to play a little bit of party games and I'm just like "well you guys can, I'll watch" and I just hope that they dont think I'm just bored. I do like watching them play though

My friends wanted to play this again yesterday but I didn't know how to tell them I couldn't play. I just told them I would watch and they kind of seemed upset.

I also suggested a different game that was less stressful for me, but they preferred to play the party games.

I think I need to come out to them that I have aspergers, so then they would at least understand that it's not that I don't want to play, it's that I get too much anxiety during it.

Depends o the game. I hate games where you have to work out who is the mafia person or mole or whatever. I just don't get it. I don't understand the process of elimination. There was a version I played where you had to guess which mafia person has the diamonds from the game box... I just didn't understand it.

I like word games, or games where you have to give clues to your team like pictionary or charades.

I might look up jack box. Never heard of it.

Depends o the game. I hate games where you have to work out who is the mafia person or mole or whatever. I just don't get it. I don't understand the process of elimination. There was a version I played where you had to guess which mafia person has the diamonds from the game box... I just didn't understand it.

I like word games, or games where you have to give clues to your team like pictionary or charades.

I might look up jack box. Never heard of it.

I don't like charades, it's usually embarrassing for me especially when I can't think of what I should do.

I like word games like scrabble or scattergories, because usually you are limited to a letter or few letters. Not that I'm great at them.

There are certain games in jackbox that aren't too difficult, like trivia I can just choose an answer whether I know the answer or not. But others that require thinking up funny words or something are difficult. I think it's also challenging having to play it with the people I play with because they make it more mature rated so I feel like my answers aren't funny enough and it's always noticeable which ones are mine out of all of them

Considering I struggle with the whole friggin party.... yes.

New Threads

Top Bottom