• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else struggle to make phone calls

I can't even remember the last time I (or anyone else I know) even considered actually calling up a takeaway!
Well most places around me don't have online ordering.

Today I had to make to work related calls to find a company that would come and clean the linoleum floors.

Well most places around me don't have online ordering.

Today I had to make to work related calls to find a company that would come and clean the linoleum floors.
Wow really? The city I live in, pretty much every takeaway is signed up to a site called Just Eat. You just go there and put in your post code and it tells you all the places that will deliver to you. Having said that, if I had to ring for a takeaway, I would probably eat less junk.

Wow really? The city I live in, pretty much every takeaway is signed up to a site called Just Eat. You just go there and put in your post code and it tells you all the places that will deliver to you. Having said that, if I had to ring for a takeaway, I would probably eat less junk.
Yup that hasn't come to Metro Detroit yet.
Though I do live on the rural end of the area and many places are just family owned or not part of a chain

Yup that hasn't come to Metro Detroit yet.
Though I do live on the rural end of the area and many places are just family owned or not part of a chain
Ahh maybe it's just a UK thing then. Most of the takeaways where I live aren't part of chains, but I don't think it's that cheap for them to sign up with the website.

Ahh maybe it's just a UK thing then. Most of the takeaways where I live aren't part of chains, but I don't think it's that cheap for them to sign up with the website.
Oh well it's a part of life I have to put up with

Does anyone else put off Making a phone call even relIy important ones I don't like make call at all. In saying that I don't like picking up the phone I only pick up to my son school lol...I really need to call Argos about a sofa that I just got but it has a fault with it. I know if I lev it then I am going to have to by a new one. But even knowing that I will struggle to call or not call at all

If I am in the Autism Zone I get locked in. Like brain lock. I get on a certain waivelength. Sometimes I will hurry up and make the call to get it over with. But it always takes longer than needed.

I have no smart phone. Only prepaid and only use it for appts and stuff. I have no one texting me because I have no friends. I do not know how people stand that constant stream of interuptions anyway.

So the answer is indeed! And this a good post because it was something I did but never really knew why. In fact, I HATE the phone!!

I do not know how people stand that constant stream of interuptions anyway!!

I only get business calls and emails, not from friends, but I almost never answer I just call back when it's convenient for me.

Same with emails.

Somebody from the shop I get fidget/stims from had left a voicemail to return her call about getting a coupon for 5$ off and I couldn't return the call then was confronted about It like a month or do later after going back to the store finally ... was really upsetting I felt bad :(

Somebody from the shop I get fidget/stims from had left a voicemail to return her call about getting a coupon for 5$ off and I couldn't return the call then was confronted about It like a month or do later after going back to the store finally ... was really upsetting I felt bad :(

Yikes! That would be difficult especially at a store which knows about autism. She was probably just worried and wanted to help?

I've refused to get a mobile phone my whole life because if I got one, it would mean that people would call me and I would have to talk to them.

If I am in the Autism Zone I get locked in. Like brain lock. I get on a certain waivelength. Sometimes I will hurry up and make the call to get it over with. But it always takes longer than needed.

I have no smart phone. Only prepaid and only use it for appts and stuff. I have no one texting me because I have no friends. I do not know how people stand that constant stream of interuptions anyway.

So the answer is indeed! And this a good post because it was something I did but never really knew why. In fact, I HATE the phone!!
I don't have friends really or family so as for calls and massacres I do get many. But if I did I would make it clear that if they called then i would probably would not pick up lol

I always get my words mixed up when I'm on the phone and sound like an idiot. If I'm talking to a friend/family member its fine, until the inevitable awkward silence when I don't know what to say next or when I start talking over them or vice versa...

Yes I am like that if I am stressed of or I am under pressure. Or when my boys wind me up and I talling them off witch makes them laugh as you would think I am talking I different language

Only time I hate talking on the phone is the odd time i have to ring Sky up (when the Box crashes) or when I have ring Talk Talk about account queries or if my Fibre Broadband is on a go slow for some reason, what idiot decided to have UK companies outsource their call centres to India? I mean yeah OK it's cheaper over there because they pay their workers Peanuts compared to here but I hate the language barrier, I speak in a very strong local accent, and more often than not the Indians can't understand me.

New Threads

Top Bottom