• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else have body movement issues?

meepmeep

Im not sure how to put it into words, but it’s something like this. When I’m just moving around normally, or making facial expressions normally, the movement I think I’m making and the movement I’m actually making are quite different. I think I’m smiling a friendly smile, but it sure doesn’t look this way when I look at it on video. I think I’m gesturing the way anyone else would gesture, but if I see a video of myself gesturing, it looks completely different from what I thought it was.

Is it just me, or is it an autism “thing”?

I mentioned this just recently! I thought for years I was smiling politely at people and would often be put off by people who didn't smile back or smiled uncomfortably back but turns out I was "smiling" the same way they were! LOL

Turns out I can't just decide to smile. Oh well. :)

Im not sure how to put it into words, but it’s something like this. When I’m just moving around normally, or making facial expressions normally, the movement I think I’m making and the movement I’m actually making are quite different. I think I’m smiling a friendly smile, but it sure doesn’t look this way when I look at it on video. I think I’m gesturing the way anyone else would gesture, but if I see a video of myself gesturing, it looks completely different from what I thought it was.

Is it just me, or is it an autism “thing”?
yes its part of the developmental disorder along with spacial recognition problems ,A lot of people have attention deficit hyper activity disorder, loose ligaments, too tired to do the rest of the list .

My arms and hands tend to be kind of clumsy, hitting into things like walls or furniture.
My tongue is also clumsy, giving me pronounciation problems when spaking english.

Yes. I think I am smiling friendly, gesticulating correctly or even standing properly, but, if I see myself
I can see my smile looks smirky, my hands are overly moving or my body language often suggests
being closed off.
People have asked if I'm angry or glum and I'm just acting how I think should be normal.

Yes. I think I am smiling friendly, gesticulating correctly or even standing properly, but, if I see myself
I can see my smile looks smirky, my hands are overly moving or my body language often suggests
being closed off.
People have asked if I'm angry or glum and I'm just acting how I think should be normal.
my response to most things now is neurotypicals

I have this look with my body language whenever I am trying to look more approachable that I thought was just friendly but instead I kept getting girls walking up to me and asking if I want a hug at first I didn't know what to make of it until one of my friends at the time said I looked worried, lonely but the way a child does not a grown man but also extremely approachable. So I at least look approachable but unfortunately with a lot of extra stuff thrown in. Also if I get mad people think I am actually scared which is not good.

Last edited:
Yes, my body language and facial expression often don't match my words and that causes confusion. I often don't have direct awareness of where my limbs are and what they are doing, have no idea how I'm coming across to other people. Physically as well as socially awkward.

New Threads

Top Bottom