• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone associate numbers with specific colors?

Mark Smith

Since I was young, I’ve been doing this with numbers 1-9

1- Light Blue
2- Darker Blue
3- Light Green
4- Normal Blue
5- Red
6- Dark Green
7- Brown
8- Yellow
9- Purple

Fascinating... I have something perhaps different, I often associate numbers with cars, like Peugeot almost always has used numbers to name their cars... For example the Peugeot 404, whenever I see the number 404 I immediately think of the car... Same thing with other numbers associated with cars...

I've always associated colours with the days of the week.
Monday - gold/yellow/tan
Tuesday - green
Wednesday - blue/dk. blue
Thursday - dk. greens
Friday - grey/black
Saturday - pink/rose/ mauve
Sunday - red

As a kid, I had to play colour co-ordinate my clothes to match the days.

Since I was young, I’ve been doing this with numbers 1-9

1- Light Blue
2- Darker Blue
3- Light Green
4- Normal Blue
5- Red
6- Dark Green
7- Brown
8- Yellow
9- Purple

You are, likely, a synesthete, and experience a form of synesthesia referred to as Grapheme-Color synesthesia. I experience several types, myself. I do not experience Grapheme-Color, however.

Yeah I wanted to say this is synesthesia , people on the spectrum have that more often and it can be not only related to numbers but another "common" is sound I think.

I sincerly think that I had that when I was a kid, I remember crystal clear that I associated physical sensations (like touch or pain) with colors, i'm like 100% sure of that,but I think this is something that can diseapear if you dont realy practice it to some degree, not like 100% diseapear but faint to 0.1% kek.

Last edited:
Kind of, they have a definite feeling, hue or texture, but I don't have synaesthesia.

Color is just color to me. I am greatful to have a high developed sense of color- even in art school the professors were in awe. I can mix any color with paint and am aware of infinite subtleties and nuances.

Numbers are something I try to stay away from. Horrendous difficulties with them my entire life.

Yes, the digits 0 through 9 are colored
when I think of them. The colors remain
separate; they don't blend when a number
is more than one digit.

I use colour to retain a large amount of information.

I believe it’s common for things like revision.

Quotes in one colour, dates and cases or studies in a different colour and so on.
Easier to recall text in colour.
I can see it in my mind’s eye written on a white background.

Not quite the same thing perhaps.

More for people, words, events, smells and sounds, much less for numbers. It's a rather efficient and comforting way in my opinion.

Color is just color to me. I am grateful to have a high developed sense of color- even in art school the professors were in awe. I can mix any color with paint and am aware of infinite subtleties and nuances.

Numbers are something I try to stay away from. Horrendous difficulties with them my entire life.

I am the same, verbatim.

Yes, the digits 0 through 9 are colored
when I think of them. The colors remain
separate; they don't blend when a number
is more than one digit.

This is an accurate description of actual, Grapheme-Color synesthesia. It is an involuntary, perceptual sensory experience.

No. But when young, one of my sons favorite toys was a red foam number 5. He's like me, HFA. I thought it cute he would sleep with his red 5. So I can at least verify your 5 = Red is correct. ;)

But wait now, I just remembered he was into Shining Time Station at the time. The colored trains had numbers and 5 was red. So maybe thats it...

Thomas 1 Blue
Edward 2 Blue
Henty 3 Green
James 5 Red
Percy 6 Green
Toby 7 Brown

Last edited:
Like others, I associate colors with days of the week.

Sunday is yellow
Monday is cloudy white
Tuesday is light orange
Wednesday is depressed, cloudy blue
Thursday is light blue
Friday is amber red
Saturday is sky blue

I don't associate numbers with colors, but I do have some associations with seasons and music genres:

Seasons
Spring - Green and Pink
Summer - Yellow and Red
Fall - Orange and Brown
Winter - Blue and White

Music Genres
Rock - Red
Pop - Yellow
R&B - Blue
Smooth Jazz - Pink
Hip-Hop - Dark Blue
Classical - Purple
New Age - White
Funk - Orange
Country - Brown
Disco - Silver
Techno - Gray

Yeah I wanted to say this is synesthesia , people on the spectrum have that more often and it can be not only related to numbers but another "common" is sound I think.

I sincerly think that I had that when I was a kid, I remember crystal clear that I associated physical sensations (like touch or pain) with colors, i'm like 100% sure of that,but I think this is something that can diseapear if you dont realy practice it to some degree, not like 100% diseapear but faint to 0.1% kek.
Yes...I have built in smellovision

Also, for candy, different manufacturers may use a different color for the same flavor. For example, one candy pink may be strawberry while it may be watermelon in another. I always thought this particular convention should be followed:

Cherry - Red
Strawberry - Pink
Peach - Peach
Orange - Orange
Lemon - Yellow
Lime - Light Green
Apple - Medium Green
Watermelon - Dark Green
Raspberry - Blue
Grape - Purple

New Threads

Top Bottom