• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else hear a buzzing sound when they see lights?

Kempy

I wasn't sure how to explain this. Looking at the flashing cursor in this text box, I also hear a buzzing sound that goes on and off corresponding with the cursor. It's like my brain interprets some of the visual signals as sound. I've always had it but I am starting to become conscious of whether or not these things are normal.

hmm it might be synesthesia related. Basically a cross-wiring of senses... it's fairly common in ASDs. Some people have really useful synesthesia like Daniel Tammet and his number-colour-texture synesthesia. I do it with words. Try experimenting with different frequencies of flashing and see if you hear different buzzing sounds.

I looked up synthesia and was surprised to find that it explained exactly what I experience. What surprised me more though was that I always thought that everyone had it. Turns out to be another reason why I'm different.

I also read about space-time synthesia. Again I was surprised that it explained what I see and feel, and again that it was quite rare. I thought everyone could picture dates and times as positions in a 3 dimensional space. Again, it was very much an eye opener.

Furthermore, space-time synthesia may explain why I was able to tell the time at 2 and a half years old. The concept of time was already visual (although I used to experience it as being a moving filmstrip). When I learned to read clocks, I simply changed my visual representation of time to be a clock face. I also have a separate system for visualising years on an organised, snake-like timeline. I'll try and put some images together to explain what I see.

Ah very cool! I would totally like to see what you mean. Do you use affect too? Like attach a feeling to a day of the week or hour or something...
Ooooh and do you remember everything that happens to you in terms of your personal time scale?

This is bizarre. I'm thinking about things I haven't considered since I was a very young kid, like what gender a particular number is. Oh heck. I just this moment remembered something that sent a shiver down my spine. When I was about 3-4, we had a tape with kids songs on it and I remember the shapes and colours I used to associate with each song! I need to find that tape now!

I hear that buzzing noise, when I walk past really bright lights. I can really hear the noise, in all the different department stores, around town.

I used to hear buzzing when I'd look up at the really bright fluorescent lights at some of the schools I went to as a kid. I always thought they buzzed like that because the type of bulb was incompatible with the socket or something like that. I never knew it could possibly be related to synesthesia (sp?).

New Threads

Top Bottom