• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does Anybody Else Have Weird Sleeping Preferences/Positions?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
I just recently have now started to usually sleep by putting all my blankets except for my blankets in a pile at the end of my bed, resting one of my pillows against that pile, keeping the other one where it is.

I rest my head on the pillow that is on the pile, and my feet on the only thing normal about how I sleep: the pillow that is not on the pile.

Ironically, I sleep more comfortably than my parents would expect if they actually saw me sleep like this. Then they'll know why my bed is always messed up and unmade 100% of the time. I actually sleep better now that I've started doing this. I sleep longer and wake up much less in the middle of the night than I used to.

I am currently close to 5 foot 10 (or maybe there already), so I also usually end up having to take up the entire bed. I am 15, so I am still going to grow for a while before I stop. Lol.

Does anybody else have a weird sleeping position, or have an otherwise weird sleep preference?

Like this:

sky-diver-sleep-position.jpg

Weird? Probably not. Just not on my back.

On my stomach, on my sides...with or without an arm under my head/pillow.

For the first 14years of my life, I would ONLY sleep in nests (big swirls of blankets, pillows, and soft toys). I also spent a few years sleeping UNDER my bed in a blanket nest as well as those 2 months that my parents let me sleep in the empty fridge box in the middle of the lounge they had bought home for me to play in as a kid lol.

I now (at 32) need a very tidy, no extra blankets or pillows kind of bed, minimal you could say, just the ~ right ~ weight/amount/type of blanket so I can sleep without getting too hot to too cold (I sleep with a fan half the year). For sleeping position, mainly on my side with one knee up and one arm folded under my head, flipping sides every half an hour or so.

When I was a kid I slept in a closet for a while because I liked how enclosed I was, and when I first got a piano, I slept under it! :eek: I also slept in a sleeping bag for a while as a kid, for no apparent reason, then on a futon because we incidentally got one, then on the floor for no reason that I can remember, and then on an air mattress because they wouldn't let me get a water bed. :rolleyes::D

I have an extremely specific way of sleeping.

1. Pillow is one of those "hard" ones. Not sure what else to call it. They're designed for extra support for those with neck/back issues. Trying to sleep on a normal pillow is a recipe for ouch.

2. Always sleep on my stomach

3. Must have one arm around something. Typically, a different, more normal pillow. It's an old habit from when I was a kid... I had a bazillion stuffed animals and such. But also, it alters my position just a bit in such a way to add extra comfort with the odd pillow.

4. Legs usually crossed. No, I dont know why.

5. Must have heavy blankets. No, I dont care that it's 90 degrees out. I'll do it anyway. Of course right now it's NOT 90 degrees out, but my room is basically the focal point of the heating system for this giant house, on top of also having giant piles of electronics always humming along, so it's usually warm in here.

A harder and large pillow below my head, I cannot survive without it.
Always on the side, a normal pillow below my upper knee, sometimes between. Often a pillow to support my upper arm and slightly lie on. Preference on heavy blankets.
Naked, no socks ever ever ever.

Must have firm memory foam bed and topper.
Contour memory foam pillow for neck on top of thin pillow under that.
Fleece blanket in summer with a comforter on top in winter.
Pillow under my knees and one extra beside me in bed for support.
Sleep on back with hands folded over upper stomach- corpse position.
Just like Lilly Munster, minus the lillies. :rolleyes:

I find that I can't stay in one position for long without feeling I have to move, and it takes me ages to get to sleep. The most comfortable on on my back with my arms draped around my head.

As a child, I was very fussy about how I slept. I had to have the blankets tucked in really tight - if they came loose, I hated it. Also, I hated my pyjama riding up my leg, bunching up. Really uncomfortable. I use dto make a tunnel with my soft toys, they were lined up down the sides of my bed in a specific order.

Also, I forgot to mention: I only sleep on my sides. Sleeping on my back makes me feel VERY uncomfortable, even though I am almost 16 at this point.

I find that I can't stay in one position for long without feeling I have to move, and it takes me ages to get to sleep. The most comfortable on on my back with my arms draped around my head.

As a child, I was very fussy about how I slept. I had to have the blankets tucked in really tight - if they came loose, I hated it. Also, I hated my pyjama riding up my leg, bunching up. Really uncomfortable. I use dto make a tunnel with my soft toys, they were lined up down the sides of my bed in a specific order.
I had a similar way to sleep. I needed to be wraped up tightly with the old dirty Micky (without nose) next to my head on the left side and Daisy above my head. My pyjamas had to be smooth. I hated it when they where pulled up.

I just recently have now started to usually sleep by putting all my blankets except for my blankets in a pile at the end of my bed, resting one of my pillows against that pile, keeping the other one where it is.

I rest my head on the pillow that is on the pile, and my feet on the only thing normal about how I sleep: the pillow that is not on the pile.

Ironically, I sleep more comfortably than my parents would expect if they actually saw me sleep like this. Then they'll know why my bed is always messed up and unmade 100% of the time. I actually sleep better now that I've started doing this. I sleep longer and wake up much less in the middle of the night than I used to.

I am currently close to 5 foot 10 (or maybe there already), so I also usually end up having to take up the entire bed. I am 15, so I am still going to grow for a while before I stop. Lol.

Does anybody else have a weird sleeping position, or have an otherwise weird sleep preference?

I used to, but it's been a long time. I used to sleep upside down on the bed, with or without the blankets all done up as if no one was in the bed, or not in a bed at all, but in some assortment of pillows etc. Essentially, in any fashion except the "normal" fashion! I'd go through different periods like this. Also considered getting a hammock instead of a "real bed" when I was first moving out on my own, but let people convince me it would be detrimental to my health. (Don't know why I did that)

Well then isnt that just something? I was wonderin about all of that just the other day. I feel like the position of my body, and my limbs espescially is like an antenna. That as i move around, the position i take, affects my dreaming

New Threads

Top Bottom