• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Documentary Thread

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
Thought I'd start a thread for all the documentary and docu-series hounds.

What's one you watched recently?

Do you have any favorites that you'd recommend?

Were there any particular ones that changed the way you thought or inspired you? Or disturbing ones?

Do you prefer specific genres or subjects?

Post about it here...

I love me a good doc .. prefer them over fictional TV. Hoping to get some good recommendations here for ones I haven't seen yet.

I watch a lot of true crime and I also like earth/space science and history too. But am usually open to watch any kind...

A recent one I watched (even though its not new) was Fantastic Fungi. It was a very informative and soothing watch (lots of time lapse mushrooms!). The spotlighted expert, Paul Stamets, was a delight (almost gave autistic vibes..in a good way, especially when they discuss his genius). Also thought it too funny that Brie Larson was the chosen narrator. Definitely recommend..

Last edited:

This documentary is truly devastating.
Ahhhh why'd you have to go dredge that one up ... been trying to forget that one.

Just kidding.. but seriously though. This one rips your heart out and then some.

OK, maybe I missed something, I cannot tell why this trailer is age restricted, but it is a trailer for Woodstock, the classic concert documentary.

Last edited:
I’ve recently rewatched a documentary that is called Blackfish. It’s about an Orca named Tilikum who was living in captivity at SeaWorld. This documentary goes into detail about how Tilikum has taken three lives of individual trainers who used to work at SeaWorld. I couldn’t share the link to the documentary, but you can watch it on YouTube for free. Blackfish should come up on the first search if anyone is interested in watching it.

I’ve recently rewatched a documentary that is called Blackfish. It’s about an Orca named Tilikum who was living in captivity at SeaWorld. This documentary goes into detail about how Tilikum has taken three lives of individual trainers who used to work at SeaWorld.
And yet that documentary had me feeling terrible for Tilikum.

And yet that documentary had me feeling terrible for Tilikum.
I agree. I feel very sad for him and what he had to go through each day to preform shows. I first watched this documentary in high school, and I remember being taken back by it, so I had to watch it again. It’s a great watch it really shows what it’s like inside an animal theme park.

I love anything David Attenborough, I have a fair collection of it on my harddrive. When I was growing up there were quite a few people doing nature documentaries and I loved nearly all of them. Just in Australia we had The Leyland Brothers, Jack Absolom and Harry Butler to name a few.

There was one that I absolutely detested though, I found his videos extremely disturbing on many levels. I can't remember the name of the show but I remember the name of the presenter - Lorne Green. He turned wildlife facts in to Disney type stories that tried to anthropomorphise the animals.

I love David Attenborough too, and old PBS and National Geographic nature documentaries.
I especially love the National Geographic “Wild” series.

Pick of the Litter is a good documentary about service dogs.

OK, maybe I missed something, I cannot tell why this trailer is age restricted, but it is a trailer for Woodstock, the classic concert documentary.

Frolicking in the mud and in the pond minus all their clothes, I suspect.

But as a documentary, it's hardcore Americana IMO. :cool:

I like documentaries and watch a lot of them, as long as they don't have special effects that prevent me from watching. I like: medical, science, technology, nature, psychology. Things like Carl Sagan's Cosmos, the BBC series Horizon, David Attenborough, that kind of thing. I love medical ones, and ones about the brain. Some presenters are annoying, others are ok.

Anything to do with nature and animals. David Attenborough has a great voice for these documentaries. The ones about Patagonia, Africa, China and other continents of the world that show the land, seasons and how the animals are affected.
I also like most of the ones that regard space.

A weekly one on History TV is The Curse of Oak Island.
Reason being is because I also read the same Readers Digest story at age 9 that Rick and Marty Lagina remembered.
I also remembered it for the rest of my life. Then when they returned to investigate, it was like someone else remembered what I never forgot about. So, Kudos!

I no longer have a TV and don't watch much due to light sensitivity. But, I've always been a huge fan of American Masters (PBS):

American Masters

My favorite episodes are Preston Sturges, Carol Burnett, Johnny Carson, Mel Brooks, J.D. Salinger, Miles Davis, Tyrus Wong, and Charles Schulz. I'm not a Bob Dylan fan, but his (directed by Martin Scorcese) was good, too.

The older ones, especially, are proper documentaries. Whenever I've seen documentaries on bands or people I like from the past 10 years, they've felt like 90-minute commercials. "Here's why you should like this person and what you should think." Then a bunch of talking heads saying, "There was nobody like them," over and over.

This YouTube channel collects old documentaries on authors. They're hit or miss, but there are some good ones: https://www.youtube.com/@writelike/videos.

Of course, the old South Bank Show from England. I love the J.G. Ballard episode.

The BBC series Classic Albums was great. My favorite episodes are The Beatles, Steely Dan, The Sex Pistols, Frank Zappa, The Grateful Dead, Lou Reed, U2, and Nirvana.

The Noam Chomsky documentary Manufacturing Consent.

I also adore this BBC miniseries, Playing Shakespeare. I think it was nine episodes, on different ways to approach Shakespeare as an actor. It's from the 80s and has Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Judi Densch, Ben Kingsley, and others.

Also, the Brian Wilson documentary I Just Wasn't Made for These Times. And The Beatles' Anthology.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom