• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Documentary Thread

I watched one last night, The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart.

It was well made, those guys were a much bigger deal than I was aware of. I knew the Bee Gees were big in the 60s and 70s but I didn't know how big they really were and what they did.

Is that the one with Johnny Rotten? I love when he talks about writing down Bee Gees lyrics to study.

When I got into their 60s and 70s stuff, I felt they were about as good as The Beatles, but with much better lyrics. My favorite song by them is "Kilburn Towers."

Is that the one with Johnny Rotten? I love when he talks about writing down Bee Gees lyrics to study.

When I got into their 60s and 70s stuff, I felt they were about as good as The Beatles, but with much better lyrics. My favorite song by them is "Kilburn Towers."

No I didn't see Johnny Rotten. But it was a good documentary, very interesting.

A weekly one on History TV is The Curse of Oak Island.
That's a favorite of mine too. I remember watching a documentary that mentioned it when I was a kid and the mystery fascinated me.. so when the series came out I was hooked. I did a degree in geology/hydrogeology so I love how they consult and incorporate those during the search. In my last job we used to do XRD, SEM and CT on rocks so all the current analysis they're doing using the same methods are also relatable.

This one was pretty intense.. about a saturation diving incident.

One of my most favorite movies is the early 2000s documentary, "Babies". Which chronicles the birth and infancy of three infants in different parts of the world. I believe it follows a Mongolian nomad family, a Namibian tribe, and a progressive family from San Francisco.

The Old Grey Whistle Test? Definitely. I've seen some great performances by Zappa, Roxy Music, The New York Dolls, XTC, Talking Heads, The Damned, and others. Great show.
That was a fun show. My Dad used to love watching it, and would let me stay up to watch it with him. He loved teaching me about classic rock.

Also that show was where I first heard the music of Sisters of Mercy in the 1980s. It made me a tiny gothling. Lol

My daughter was homeschooled, and we enjoyed watching a lot of OPB documentary shows. OPB is our local PBS station.

Some of our favorites were Nova, Nature, Rick Steves Europe, and Oregon Field Guide. Oregon Art Beat is another fun one.

I loved it when they would show the old documentary film, "Alone in the Wilderness", I think it was called. A man named Dick Proeneke moved to Alaska in the late sixties, and with the use of a super 8 camera, he chronicled his journey of living off the land, building his own cabin, dugout canoe, tool handles, etc, also fishing, hunting, cooking, and traveling overland.

It's a good film. One of the best. I highly recommend it.

I loved it when they would show the old documentary film, "Alone in the Wilderness", I think it was called.
The contemporary version is called "Alone" (2015- ).
It is a lone survivalist contest to see who can outlast the others over a period of 100 days. They are very creative but seem to starve a lot. (They are monitored medically, so they won't die.)

Also, shoutout to The Food That Built America series on History Channel. A good watch on the history of American foods...(don't watch when you're hungry)

My daughter was homeschooled, and we enjoyed watching a lot of OPB documentary shows. OPB is our local PBS station.

Some of our favorites were Nova, Nature, Rick Steves Europe, and Oregon Field Guide. Oregon Art Beat is another fun one.

I loved it when they would show the old documentary film, "Alone in the Wilderness", I think it was called. A man named Dick Proeneke moved to Alaska in the late sixties, and with the use of a super 8 camera, he chronicled his journey of living off the land, building his own cabin, dugout canoe, tool handles, etc, also fishing, hunting, cooking, and traveling overland.

It's a good film. One of the best. I highly recommend it.

I like Rick Steves Europe, too. Also Samantha Brown, but aside from the interesting locations, I just had a crush on her.

And--if we're counting travel shows--I must mention Anthony Bourdain. They were fun and educational.

I've posted them before under other topics but I think they are very appropriate here too. It's a documentary by a bunch of people from a remote community in northern Australia. They focus on what they have to do to keep cars running in the bush but there's an incredible amount of cultural information in there too.

It's about people being people.

Last edited:
I have another recommendation for an interesting documentary. A relative was talking to me about a documentary called the first face of America, which is about scientists discovering a cave in Mexico. This cave contains a 13,000 year old skeleton of a teenager, which is found to be the earliest know human in America.

I have another recommendation for an interesting documentary. A relative was talking to me about a documentary called the first face of America, which is about scientists discovering a cave in Mexico. This cave contains a 13,000 year old skeleton of a teenager, which is found to be the earliest know human in America.

That sounds really interesting.

Also, shoutout to The Food That Built America series on History Channel. A good watch on the history of American foods...(don't watch when you're hungry)
I really enjoyed that series as well

Watched a latest doc on the missing Malaysian flight MH370 .. Sadly still no new leads or concrete evidence. A pretty baffling mystery. This one highlighted the usual conspiracy theories with no new insight..

A tad disappointed that they didn't dig deeper into the mysterious phone call that a daughter of a passenger received from her father that was on the plane while they were waiting for initial news on the plane. Figured that would be a significant event...

Incidentally, today is the 9 year anniversary of the plane's disappearance..

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom