• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to seek out older shows that were before your time?

AGXStarseed

Recently I was looking through IMDB at a few things and noticed some of the films/TV shows I looked at are part of 'user lists' on the right-hand side of the page. Out of interest to see what other people watched in case anything was worth a look, I clicked on one of them - which was about TV shows with a sci-fi theme - and scrolled through the list.

Setting my sights only on those with decent average review scores (6.0 stars out of 10 or higher) and with a story I may find interesting, I've now started to look around to see if any of them are worth watching despite the fact that, as a 90's kid, most of these shows were made before I was born.
I've now started watching episodes of Chocky, Q.E.D, Voyagers!, The Changes and Star Cops thanks to their episodes been on YouTube or Dailymotion, with some other series I want to try and find including Hard Time on Planet Earth (I confess that I giggled at that title), Children of the Stones, Sapphire & Steel and Terrahawks among others.

Before this, I have come across and even enjoyed shows that were made long before I took my first breath, such as On the Buses, Dad's Army, Open All Hours, Porridge, The Two Ronnies, Blackadder, etc.
Do you guys try to seek out older shows that came out before you were born (or alternatively, shows that were around when you were born but you were too young to watch?)

Here's episodes of some of the shows I've mentioned.
  1. Chocky (This one quite literally starts with a scream)
  2. Q.E.D
  3. Voyagers!
  4. The Changes
  5. Star Cops
  6. Hard Time on Planet Earth
  7. Children of the Stones

Oh yeah, I watch On the Buses every afternoon on ITV 3, shame that apart from Olive, most of the original cast are dead now, apparently Anna "Olive" Karen's been in Eastenders recently.

Recently I was looking through IMDB at a few things and noticed some of the films/TV shows I looked at are part of 'user lists' on the right-hand side of the page. Out of interest to see what other people watched in case anything was worth a look, I clicked on one of them - which was about TV shows with a sci-fi theme - and scrolled through the list.

Setting my sights only on those with decent average review scores (6.0 stars out of 10 or higher) and with a story I may find interesting, I've now started to look around to see if any of them are worth watching despite the fact that, as a 90's kid, most of these shows were made before I was born.
I've now started watching episodes of Chocky, Q.E.D, Voyagers!, The Changes and Star Cops thanks to their episodes been on YouTube or Dailymotion, with some other series I want to try and find including Hard Time on Planet Earth (I confess that I giggled at that title), Children of the Stones, Sapphire & Steel and Terrahawks among others.

Before this, I have come across and even enjoyed shows that were made long before I took my first breath, such as On the Buses, Dad's Army, Open All Hours, Porridge, The Two Ronnies, Blackadder, etc.
Do you guys try to seek out older shows that came out before you were born (or alternatively, shows that were around when you were born but you were too young to watch?)

Here's episodes of some of the shows I've mentioned.
  1. Chocky (This one quite literally starts with a scream)
  2. Q.E.D
  3. Voyagers!
  4. The Changes
  5. Star Cops
  6. Hard Time on Planet Earth
  7. Children of the Stones
yes I've recently been trying to find episodes of the three stooges from the 1940s I like 1940s movies until I became very anxious -I liked the cat and the canary -nineteen thirties to nineteen forties.
I tried to watch a telly movie of the first Doctor Who but it was too distressing -that's the problem I keep thinking that it won't bother me because of the memory I have .I tried to watch wonder woman (1978)that I'd originally seen when it was first televised.
A few years ago I found an episode of the wooden tops from the 1950s and 60s that was bearable .

I have my indigestion backups at the moment it's :tums ,Old Jamaica diet Ginger beer, Orange high juice, lime cordial, orange juice ,yoghurt heavy sigh low-cholesterol yoghurt that is .

I like The Brady Bunch and ALF, both which are before my time. My mom introduced me to The Brady Bunch. ALF I found while channel surfing.

Yes, because more recent shows are often overacted, harder to follow, louder, noisier, too many special effects which I'm sensitive to and over-dramatized.

I saw a DVD box set of all 4 series of ALF on Amazon last week, £43 for it though, a Dutch import... WTF?!

Yes, because TV right now is awful, the older shows are the best.

That's debatable, but I do agree there are plenty of 'diamonds in the rough' regarding the older TV shows.
There's barely any TV shows today that truly grab and hold my interest, which is why I often look back both to the shows I did like to watch and the shows that came before my time to see what they have to offer.

Oh yeah, just as I do with music. I'm always up for some classic Westerns (Gunsmoke, for example) and older sitcoms. Stuff like I Love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie...not hard to find re-runs of these shows at all if you start channel surfing or browsing the net.

LOL. Nope. Mostly because there aren't many tv shows in the US which appeared before I was born that I haven't already seen in prime time as a kid. Commonly referred to as the "Golden Age Of Television".

I'm just happy that for a few of those "jewels", that I can often simply buy the entire series on disk if I so desire. :)

Last edited:
Anything after 1995 is not worth watching.

Lately, I’ve been watching MeTV and AntennaTV. AntennaTV finally wised up and put the 2 best comedies of all times (Jack Benny and Burns and Allen) at a reasonable time. What a relief to watch the old skinflint, then the ditzy lady, compared to what passes for comedy today!

I don’t like what’s on tv now in fact we don’t even have our tv connected to the channels and only use it for Blu rays or the PlayStation,but there is literally not many shows that I like plus most of the channels are filled with cooking shows or stuff like the bachelor.

As I write I'm watching a repeat of THE greatest comedy of all time (IMO), Fawlty Towers, starring John Cleese and the late Andrew "Manuel" Sachs.

Still hilariously funny over 40 years since it was originally on back in the mid 70's.

New Threads

Top Bottom