• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Talk to Yourself?

Sort of kind of when I'm working on my computer or doing administrative things in the command line :/

I'm going to revive all these old threads...
I do talk to myself, whilst pacing sometimes. Usually I'm working something out, or analyzing a situation or feeling. I often do it and get really absorbed into it and have had many embarrassing moments when I get "caught" lol

I am constantly talking to myself. I think that it's a way of passing information from one part of the brain to another part so that it can make sense of it. I don't usually do it when there are people near me though sometimes I do mess up and when they ask me who I'm talking to I just tell them that I'm talking to myself and they give me a wierd look.

Does anybody else do this?

Do this all the time, enjoys my mother nuts. The only reason have the time she knows I'm texting, is because I have to say punctuation when I'm dictating. I also answer myself, my mom says it looks very weird, I've always done it. So I know how you feel. It's like if I don't verbalize it won't stick sometimes especially if I'm trying to look for something while I'm talking. Its like I have to talk myself through it.

When I do it I'm usually pacing around trying to figure out why things happen or I am planning what I am going to do in the future. Sometimes I keep repeating things to myself that don't make any sense like 50.000 euros. I think the last one that I mentioned is a mental stim.

Yes I tend to talk (mutter) to myself either about what I am doing (especially when it is more difficult), or an internal dialogue or story between myself and another person, this is sometimes in rumination, or I discuss a particular idea with myself and sometimes "argue" with myself by bringing up counter points. I hate getting caught in public doing it and tell people I am completely sane (or insane) with a big smile of insanity and bulging eyes if they ask. Sort of turn an awkward situation into laughter. Laughter tends to be distracting for most everyone, so they either forget about my talking to myself or laugh it off and move on. My father (likely on the spectrum) does it too, even in public which is a tad embarrassing as he looks like the mentally ill type and well is. I noticed my son (AS and ADHD) do it when he is trying to remember things, learn something, or do something more difficult or complicated. I guess that it does help us to organize our ideas sometimes. Even in a difficult exam I will try to talk to myself by only moving my mouth and no air, so I do not make a sound, but can still do it.

I do it a LOT when I'm alone. I pretend I'm talking to another person, and I use it as a way to info-dump on something I'm interested in. It's like a release valve for my thoughts.

Yes, constantly. Especially when doing something fiddly or annoying or needs a sequence remembering.

I get verbal 'tics' and loops also

No, never, but I'm not a verbal thinker and this is probably also the reason why NLP and subliminals never work for me. However, I've been told I'm humming.

I do it a LOT when I'm alone. I pretend I'm talking to another person, and I use it as a way to info-dump on something I'm interested in. It's like a release valve for my thoughts.

Yes that is another thing I tend to do. Info dump since I do not have that many people that are willing to listen to that and I usually inhibit a one sided conversation about a particular topic of interest with others. And I forgot to mention I pace at times, even when talking with others.

I do it a bit when Im alone. I have a lot of imaginary conversations in my head, probably as a way to process stuff. Is this a human thing or specific to Asperger's?

New Threads

Top Bottom