• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you startle easily?

I startle very easily. There were a lot of kids who thought it was hilarious to come up behind me and poke me, just to see me jump, when I was younger. Now, people wouldn't dare because they might get hit.

I've argued with quite a few nurses about it. Most nurses don't like it when patients watch shots and blood draws. If I don't watch them, I jump badly enough that I end up with serious bruising. They're always concerned that I'll pass out if I watch. The ones who know me (yay for small towns) don't question anymore.

My doctor asked me, after my son was born and I jumped majorly getting an epidural, whether I was being abused because that kind of startle reflex was extreme. Nope. I just jump. If I can't see it and something touches me, it doesn't matter how much you verbally warn me, I'll jump.
Agree! People used to do that to me! I do not hit, though!
Interesting. I used to get very anxious with those really loud vacuum type toilet flushes and have to leave the stall very quick! I love peace and quiet.

Makes sense. After "too much human contact" I must regenerate also. Quiet time with candles alone is so important. Good topic.
OH MY GOSH!!!! I know kids! I KNOW A KID! THAt would NOT stop talking about the toilet!!!!!!!!!! It scared her so bad she jumped up and peed on herself! and would NOT stop telling the story!!!!!!!!! Had to quit pre school because the indoor recess was excessively LOUD inside the enclosed gymnasium!!!!!!! ARGH! Kid was miserable every day! It took some sleuthing to discover t hat..... noise was the culprit!

OH! PS. Sorry for the caps. I get too much, soOOoOoOOoO excited! to finally be able to share this stuff with kindred spirits! souls..... wow ..... who understand...... the same experience!

I am happy. I am not mad. sorry,.

Last edited:
Maybe you're more on guard when you're out? ...already "expecting the unexpected"?
Aye, I think so too. At home, it's "safe" to be jumpy and make a scene. Out in public, startling can be perceived as a vulnerability, or worse, a conversation starter for the crazy drunk cat lady behind you, so you have to be on guard for unexpected things.

Aye, I think so too. At home, it's "safe" to be jumpy and make a scene. Out in public, startling can be perceived as a vulnerability, or worse, a conversation starter for the crazy drunk cat lady behind you, so you have to be on guard for unexpected things.

Interesting. When I'm home I'm far more likely to handle being startled in a calm, collective manner. Even when on two rare occasions I should have been screaming like a banshee. :p

It's very odd with me. Sometimes I can be easily startled, and other times when something should profoundly startle me, it doesn't always happen. :confused:
Me too. I don't know why, maybe lack of sleep or just how your day is going. Who knows?

I used to emit this high-pitched, girly yelp whenever I got startled, something I had to train myself out of when I started working with the public. :)

Oh yes. I can never help letting out a small scream when I'm startled. The teachers in elementary school thought I was just trying to be a distraction. People often hid places and jumped out at me because they thought it was hilarious to see me scream.

I'm ok at home, unless there're noises outside, then I'm at the window looking for threats. When I'm out I'm hypervigilant; if someone even says "hi" I jump! I went to see my son perform in his school Harvest Festival play recently, his teacher touched me on the shoulder to ask me something and i nearly hit the roof!!

I don't know what C-PTSD is... but I do startle easily. I think it's just the way some people are if they tend to be lost in their own world a lot, and of course being on edge doesn't help. Your body and brain think they need to be ready for anything.

I've been startled a few times in class by my instructor talking to me while I was focusing on lab work, or by the instructor next door poking his head into the room through the divider.

I can absolutely relate, I sometimes startle so easily it might only be the idea or though of being surprised or shocked or sneaked up on that with send my hart into my throat. Sometimes, it almost seems out of nowhere there can be this ominous, almost foreboding feeling which suddenly will come upon me and anything at all, a creak in the floor, the wind blowing a wind chime, will make me feel almost frightened to the extent I may want to run and hide. I saw some of you mentioned the fight or flight response, I too sometimes feel as though I am on the edge of one of those states, yet for me there is another category some forget about, it is actually fight, flight, or freeze. I seem to be in a state of hyper- alertness and bound for one of those options at any point when things are unplanned ( which is basically 80% of life).

... there is another category some forget about, it is actually fight, flight, or freeze.

I've read there's actually a 4th option: fight, flight, freeze, or fawn. The last one is where a person resorts to extreme efforts to please the person who is posing a threat. A lot of "people-pleasing" dysfunction comes from this mode of self-defense.

I've read there's actually a 4th option: fight, flight, freeze, or fawn. The last one is where a person resorts to extreme efforts to please the person who is posing a threat. A lot of "people-pleasing" dysfunction comes from this mode of self-defense.
A H ! HA! Is it possible for me to do both reactions? Fawn, yup! I have pictures of that on a recent thread! My sister , trying to hug me! and required social parties! excessively docile! I do THAT! wow!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom