• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you Really Have Friends???

Having scanned through this discussion, it sounds like I'm a good deal more isolated than everyone else here. I never once had a friend. I had opportunities before, but passed them up for lack of interest. I only tried to make a friend once, about eight years ago, during a nervous breakdown. Needless to say, it didn't turn out so well, to put it mildly.

That failed attempt has cast a long shadow over the last eight years. I still think about that guy every day at multiple times throughout the day, even though I haven't seen him in person in eight years. The reason this has proved such a daunting obsession is because he's the only person I've ever felt I "connected" with. It never happened before and hasn't happened since. I really miss him.

Hello, I am not sure how old you are but I do know that it was way easier to make friends when I was younger myself compared to now as an older adult. I don't have the time to hang out anywhere nor the desire. My "friends" consists of family and old friends from the past, I really can't say that I have made any close friends in many years, so I can relate to you for sure. I like being alone, for the most part, although I do desire to have friends I find that what they talk about does not seem to interest me a lot, I wish it did. I was married for over thirty years and have been single for the past seven now, my husband and family were my life and social life. How do all of you cope with the seemingly bullying that people enjoy inflicting whether concious about it or not.

I guess I feel that more people are misinformed than malicious... I hear about some nasty things, but I don't see them in my workplace or classroom anymore. I have worked at establishments that were more about competing for popularity than getting the job done, though, even when things were noticeably becoming a mess and duties were shirked. The unpopular ones weren't able to dodge punishment and blame so well.

I don't even talk to my sisters let alone have friends. I talk to people at work but wouldn't dream of seeing them socially. Any social contact is with my wife's family and that's not very often. I love being on my own or just me and my wife, she is the only friend I need.

I know a lot of people on a surface level and have plenty of acquaintances, but I wouldn't classify them as friends and doubt they would consider me as a friend. I can get along fine with a variety of people, but I don't meet up socially with them outside of college or work. To be honest, I'd rather not; although I can handle some interaction, I'm hardly what you'd call a "social butterfly", and I'm not interested in going out of my way to create friendships.

I feel as if I don't have any "best friends", although there are many at my school (and elsewhere) that I'd consider "good friends"

Goofking I lost a lot of online friends but still have a few. I have a couple pen pals also.

I am more socially isolated now than I have been in a very long time, possibly my whole life. I have online friends and live with my boyfriend; nothing outside of that.

Goofking I lost a lot of online friends but still have a few. I have a couple pen pals also.

It's the same here. I find myself making friends online easier than I do in real life and my only real life friend is busy getting high off of crystal meth and is in Alaska doing god-who-knows-what right now :/ I've lost friends over the dumbest things and it's my own fault for my problem of being delusional and misreading their words and thinking that everyone is out to get me :(

I've felt that way too goofking but they really aren't.
It just seems that way. You seem like a smart nice person.
I've lost lots of online friends over my anger issues and other things. I've learned how to keep friends as I've gotten older.

All my best guy friends have died. Guess I lived a dangerous life for awhile. Recently 4-5 years ago had some football "friends" but all have moved away, gotten divorced or just moved on. Had some acquaintainces but recently gotten rid of most of em due to their toxicity.

I will not call myself a social failure...but someone who has more quirks and CURIOSITY than most. Most humans are not in touch with their souls...but I shall not quit trying to socialize...losers quit when they are tired. Winners quit when we have succeeded...

If we all recognized our value...and felt it...perhaps we would realize we are rare gems in a social world of clones.

I have online friends because I am a totally different (fake) person online but i have 2 true real life friends but both who have 'mental disorders' or something too.

Some people say they consider me a friend but I think a friend is someone who visits once in a while. I don't really get visitors.

I have no friends. I play gta v everyday, rarely go outside, since high school, that was 8 years ago. In school had no friends only bullies.

I am in the same boat as Joe, no friends, grew up in a household where I was not wanted, had 147 first cousins, all of them bullied and beat on me. By the time I got to school I did not want anything to do with people so I blew any chance I had at making school friends. It did not help that I needed a couple years of speech therapy to learn to enunciate words correctly.

By high school I was having regular anxiety attacks about having to see people that hated me on a daily basis every day, home was not safe, school was not safe, no where was safe. It was absolutely miserable, 20 years later it still hurts to think about.

I don't think I do, I have aquaintences and a couple of those I choose to call friends.

Mind you, I could be wrong and I have a lot of people who think they are my friend but stay at arms length because I keep them there.

Confused now :eek:

I keep imagining that there must be someone else different in the same ways as me and we would hit it off together and be real friends. I wonder if it's true.

New Threads

Top Bottom