• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you prefer the children's menu?

At restaurants, do you prefer ordering off of the children's menu?

• Yes

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters
One in a while, yes, if the regular menu is all unusual dishes with elaborate ingredients. Its most likely to happen at a fancy or foreign cuisine restaurants.

One reasons some restaurants don’t like to serve adults kids meals is because their is a lot anbaguity around whether they have to pay VAT or not since children’s meals are excempt.

Feh, screw menus. I can explode things in the microwave just fine on my own, thanks.

Though if I DO have to use a menu.... always for room service at a hotel.... I'll always order a grilled cheese sandwich. Every single time. Even if it's not actually on the menu.

When I traveled a lot for my job and ate alone in restaurants, I frequently ordered a couple of appetizers for dinner as that was plenty of food for me. I occasionally order a child's Happy Meal at McDonalds to get a small (and kinda gross) plain hamburger and about 10 small French fries. I keep the toys for the grandkids.

When I traveled a lot for my job and ate alone in restaurants, I frequently ordered a couple of appetizers for dinner as that was plenty of food for me. I occasionally order a child's Happy Meal at McDonalds to get a small (and kinda gross) plain hamburger and about 10 small French fries. I keep the toys for the grandkids.

I still remember those horrid plain hamburgers, circa late seventies. Two buns and some lukewarm grey matter in between. In my early days of my first steady, but low-paying job. Sitting alone on a stool facing the wall.

When I simply couldn't afford a decent lunch. :(

I still remember those horrid plain hamburgers, circa late seventies. Two buns and some lukewarm grey matter in between. In my early days of my first steady, but low-paying job. Sitting alone on a stool facing the wall.

When I simply couldn't afford a decent lunch. :(

The cheeseburgers were even worse. They had some kind of orange plastic substance on top of the lukewarm grey matter. Ugh.

The cheeseburgers were even worse. They had some kind of orange plastic substance on top of the lukewarm grey matter. Ugh.

LOL. Yeah. But then in those days I couldn't even afford that "upgrade". :oops:

But it was a wise decision at the time not to fritter away my income and save enough to eventually be financially independent and leave home. :cool:

I did without a lot of things back then, but I had a plan. But when I think of hamburgers, it isn't anything associated with McDonalds. ;)

Last edited:
LOL. Yeah. But then in those days I couldn't even afford that "upgrade". :oops:

But it was a wise decision at the time not to fritter away my income and save enough to eventually be financially independent and leave home. :cool:

I did without a lot of things back then, but I had a plan.

Same thing for me, Judge. I was so poor when I was in college that I once had nothing to eat but a box of grits for a week. At the end of the week, I got really sick with the flu or something bad - but was too poor to go to the doctor.

I did learn to make very good sandwiches to take to school with me because I couldn't afford to buy restaurant food. I even gave thought to opening my own sandwich shop before I went to graduate school which is kind of funny because my idea was much like Subway Sandwiches which came along many years later. Probably should have done that instead of law school! ;)

Maybe I should start asking for "the kid's menu or the senior's menu, whichever upsets you least". :D

And I'm guessing it's different in different areas, but there is always a healthy option here, I would never eat fries or chips either. ;)

Depends on how much I want to eat. I got away with a free kids meal when I was with someone else who bought an adults meal for themselves. No one questioned anything. Lolz!

After being told I couldn't before, I feel iffy about ordering off the kid's menu or the senior's menu. I figure there are reasons for both those menus, like giving discounts to the priveliged who fall into those age ranges. I get the feeling restaurants are out to make money with huge portion sizes and charging people likewise. Otherwise why would they object?

But for many reasons I would rather order off the kid's menu. (1) Smaller portion sizes, I can barely eat the kid's size in one sitting anyway. (2) Simpler, fewer, and more predictable ingredients, which are better on my tastebuds and my stomach. (3) Fewer choices. (4) Lower price.

Most places I'll just end up ordering off the junior menu, dollar menu, side dish menu, or appetizer menu. I'm thankful that more places are starting to do that and not restrict it to kids or seniors.

Sometimes when I took my daughter to a restaurant, we would just order each other's dishes and swap.

like giving discounts to the priveliged who fall into those age ranges. I get the feeling restaurants are out to make money with huge portion sizes and charging people likewise. Otherwise why would they object?

That's what I want to know!

Some places charge a few dollars extra for doing so to make sure that you're not just trying to save money. The places that object either haven't thought of this, don't want to bother, or have a different objection, such as the one evidenced by the poster here who is afraid of the world "child" and its variations, such as "children."

Although I don't like the small portion sizes, on the children's menu, the food is often simple enough for me to enjoy.

Some people eat hamburgers or submarine sandwiches with many toppings, but I'm very picky, and will usually only eat them with: meat, barbecue sauce, or ketchup.

New Threads

Top Bottom