• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have others friends who are autistic?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

Recently I had uploaded a video featuring one of my best friends who is autistic and he wants to reappear on my channel.

How many of you have other friends who are autistic?

After moving out somewhere else three years ago, since I was in the position to make new friends, just to wanted to have a go at being friends with other people who are autistic, it's been successful.

I did in school (before autism was even recognized).

full
(For the purists here, I suspect that they were Aspies. And I don't have to use DSM-5 terms, because I knew them even before the advent of DSM-4...
full
)

I have a much older female friend, who although has never been diagnosed and when she did take the aspequiz, she came out as neurotypical, she certainly has many similar thought processes as me and we get on fantastically and I can talk to her about everything and what is fascinating for me, is that texting or face to face, is the same, that is how I feel relaxed in her company, because she accepts me for who I am. Never told me that my voice is too loud. Etc.

Recently I had uploaded a video featuring one of my best friends who is autistic and he wants to reappear on my channel.

How many of you have other friends who are autistic?

After moving out somewhere else three years ago, since I was in the position to make new friends, just to wanted to have a go at being friends with other people who are autistic, it's been successful.

Absolutely! Not as many as I used to, but still, yes! I've found the essential in developing self acceptance, self advocacy, and self compassion skills.

I do, and interestingly none of them are what you would consider a 'peer'. And all are in the same faith as me, which is nice. Additionally, 2 out of 4 of them were diagnosed (3 ASD-1, the other dude more ASD-2) way into their adult life (over 50)
One of these people is my 'adopted' grandfather (as in not blood-related because of remarrying but grandads are grandads!) which has been cool to bond more over. I always had an inkling tbh because of certain traits I recognised within myself; oh and his incredible mental arithmetic skills and grasp of biblical history.
It's especially great because our conduct alone and personalities well prove the phrase 'if you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person' for any nay-sayers out there. I love our variety of special interests :)

I know people online who are autistic We seem to get along fine.
I am a member of some local Facebook groups in my area and there is one person who Has Asbergers syndrome And I get the impression they seem to disagree with a lot of things I say and they have made themselves and popular with Others. Having said that as we are now in Autistic circles, we are not the same and the old saying goes “if you have met one person with autism you have met one“
I would like some artistic friends however I fear I may be a bit intense for them was nonetheless I would like some as we are very sensitive well some of us and although I don’t consider myself to be some of us are very empathic.

Not specifically... As I have brought up the topic with closer friends, some have said they might or have been diagnosed, but even I don't dwell on it that much as an HFA1

One time I had a good chat with one of my friends from the artistic world, and she said that either she had strong suspicions she was or was formally diagnosed... She has also had a successful career in her day job, as well in the artistic world, so I don't think worries about it that much...

A lot of my friends growing up were either diagnosed autistic or had a good amount of autistic traits. I still mainly have friends who at least have autistic traits (like my current one who considered having ASD before, and has dyspraxia and other issues) and I honestly can't remember ever having a proper NT friend. I'm not really "high functioning" enough for NTs to tolerate me, and I actually got phased out of a friend group in middle school because a very NT girl joined and found me annoying.

A close friend of mine has high functioning autism of all the autistic people i have met he is the only one that i have kept any term of proper regular long term contact with. Though i know of at least two autistic individuals online that i still chat to from time to time with though it is only with one that of them that i have discussed autism together with in depth. Though i have discussed it as well with my friend in the real world as well.

I have two friends of whom I have a deeper connection with, than anyone I have ever known, and both are autistic. Although, I had no idea they were autistic, until after we had become friends.

I don’t have any friends. Lots of people I know. If I wasn’t married I would have almost no social contact whatsoever.

My wife is a bridge between me and other people. When I was single and living by myself, I would go to work, come home and do things by myself.

I think a good friend would be awesome, and I suppose my wife is that good friend. But a good male friend. I’ve never really had that.

I knew friends and acquaintances who are on the spectrum. I am besties with two who are twins, and keep in touch with them on a daily basis. They have interests in anything related to Disney, Sweeney Todd, video games, special Olympics, and various musicals. I am thinking of spending more time with them once we reach herd immunity in my state from COVID; I enjoy being around them, and can't wait to see them again.

Actually, other than my NT wife who I consider to be my best friend, all my other friends are either professionally diagnosed autistic or self-diagnosed autistic. While I wouldn't exclude NTs from my friendship pool, I actively sought my autistic friends through autism forums, autism specific zoom groups and by creating a local autism specific local meetup-type group.

I'm comfortable being around and communicating with my autistic friends whereas I've not been completely comfortable being around and communicating with NT friends that I had in my past.

Not that I know of. I don't have many friends and the ones I do have are not autistic (that I know of)

I have two friends. One of them has a few traits that are common in autistic people (likes things to be clear and written down, likes deep-diving into certain topics, seems to like infodumping, but mostly about what he's up to) but I don't think he's autistic.

My other friend, whom I only know online, is self-diagnosed.

My lack of social skills make it pretty hard to make and keep any real friendships.

I have two female friends who are self-identifying and one male friend who is different from the norm, but for reasons not neurodevelopmental. Most communication is done over chat platforms, except that now my guy friend is a classmate of mine and we meet every week to study.

I don't really have lasting friendships with people who aren't different in some way or another, and even these are friendships that are largely text-based, which is easier on all of us.

I have 2 friends, neither of them have been diagnosed with anything, except one for dyslexia (same with myself), but neither are exactly "normal" either. Both could be on the spectrum but in a different way to myself. I get along with my brothers friends, who are all on the spectrum (as is my brother).

New Threads

Top Bottom