• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have dysmorphic features?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
It's been suggested in research in autism that there's a higher rate of dysmorphia in the heads of those with autism. Dysmorphia is the scientific name for abnormal facial features - such a broad forehead or wide eyes.

I personally personally have two crowns - or whorls - in my hair growth, an expressionless face a lot of the time, and my psychiatrist said that I had asymmetrical facial movements although I'm not sure if that was indicative of autism for him at the time.

Here's an article talking about it: https://spectrumnews.org/news/clinical-research-facial-features-can-help-diagnose-autism/

My facial features are boringly normal/pretty, but I do have asymmetrical facial movements. The left side of my face is very noticeably more mobile than the right, to the point that I am getting fine lines on the left side and not the right, and I have been accused of sneering on several occasions because my smile is so wonky. According to my autism assessment report I also have less facial expression than is normal.

I don't know if it counts, but I have a very high, very wide nose ridge. I'm a woman, and I have a difficult time even find men's eyeglass frames to fit. It will take me months of trying on hundreds of diffent frames from different shops to find one that
a) fits and is comfortable, and
b) sits on my face properly (the high ridge means that 99.99% of frames will sit too high), and c)
I actually like how it looks on me.

I previoulsy had custom-adusted frames, but I can't get those anymore. Yet if you look at me, I don't look abonormal - (well, I don't think I do).

My lips and mouth area protrude outward, basically it looks like I'm always pouting lol it's super gross and awful. I've always thought that side-pictures of people look the most artistically pleasing but I can never take a side photo, it's utterly disgusting, it's like my head is a big ass balloon with this little opening sticking out even more that is my mouth. Sometimes when I'm out in public I will consciously try to pull my lips back but it's tiring so I can't do that all the time.

As a kid I was told that in order to lessen the uglifying effect of that I would need to smile more.

my special needs dentist said i have a high something or other [cant remember what it was called]which is recognised as a trait of intellectual disability,i have different facial features as i was once asked if i had faetal alcohol syndrome/spectrum disorder, ive also been asked if i had down syndrome [not in a derogatory way] because of my eyes and short stubby fingers.

id love to get genetically tested to see if i have a chromosomal syndrome.

Contrary to popular belief I do NOT look retarded.

The only blemish I have is a skin tag on my left hand little finger than if Doctors hadn't cut it off would've grown an extra finger.

Contrary to popular belief I do NOT look retarded.

The only blemish I have is a skin tag on my left hand little finger than if Doctors hadn't cut it off would've grown an extra finger.
there isnt a 'look' to looking intellectually disabled,thats a myth and stereotype,created by people who see certain behaviors in SOME people with ID and they assume that it defines ID-plenty of my past housemates were profoundly intellectually disabled and didnt look any different to my so called normie support staff on the outside,and i;as a mildly affected ID classical autist dont 'look' different to you on the outside,im still just a generic human bag of flesh like everyone else.

sorry i dont want to offend but it gets me frustrated a bit when i see stereotypes about ID or more severe autism portrayed.

I do, I have a very high forehead/hairline, one eye slightly higher than the other, slight ptosis of my left eyelid, my pupils are not aligned properly, my left eye and left ear are noticably larger than my right, I have a large nose with a very wide bridge bone, my nose is very 'squishy' and it could be squashed totally flat until I was in my early twenties when somehow I seemed to grow some cartlidge in a very short space of time, and I have low muscle tone but also lack flexibility as well.

Oh yeah, I also forgot my nasal septum, the bit that separates the nostrils, one side is longer than the other if I feel it so it's kind of sloping. It doesn't look any different to any one else's though.

No, I look normal, which is why when I stupidly spit out that I have aspergers ( to try and explain why I am so weird), I get: are you sure? You do not look autistic and then goes on to say: oh we all suffer that or this from time to time; it is just a human thing and I am not autistic and thus, shuts down the conversation.

I personally do think however, that I look slightly down syndrome, but apparently that is just me being negative about myself :confused: I must add that when I was 7, I was deemed as stupid and thus, sent to a special school and was then labelled as down syndrome and afraid that I have a slight prejudice against them :( I try very hard to not, but I still find myself shielding away from them.

I do, I have a very high forehead/hairline, one eye slightly higher than the other, slight ptosis of my left eyelid, my pupils are not aligned properly, my left eye and left ear are noticably larger than my right, I have a large nose with a very wide bridge bone, my nose is very 'squishy' and it could be squashed totally flat until I was in my early twenties when somehow I seemed to grow some cartlidge in a very short space of time, and I have low muscle tone but also lack flexibility as well.

You're waaay too hard on yourself, it's barely even noticeable judging from your picture in the other thread, if you hadn't gone into detail about it I wouldn't even have known. I think it's probably very normal for us to think we look much less appealing than we actually do.

A couple of people have said I have a high/large forehead, but I've never noticed or thought it was a thing if you see what I mean. Other than that, I think I look pretty normal. I posted a pic a few days ago in the other thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom