• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have an interest in botany?

Creep

Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.
I’m developing an interest in botany.

This morning I identified a weed in the garden as Malva Neglecta. The leaves, stalks, & seeds are all considered edible, according to my preliminary internet research.

It even produces fruit.

Other names of Malva Neglecta are buttonweed, cheeseplant, cheeseweed, dwarf mallow, roundleaf mallow, billy-buttons, common mallow, & low mallow. Just to name a few.

I've always had and interest in it, but except for one period it has been a moderate interest only. I love being outside and finding new things growing. A few I learn about, most I don't.

I used to participate in a monthly group event walking through an arboretum studying the characteristics of trees. It was very interesting until it became repetitious. It's valuable to understand the world around us, though. What I found to be most interesting is the types of wood used to build boats, make bows, instruments, etc.

When I studied archaeology I had a class in archaeobotany. It was very interesting, we collected soil samples from a 700 year-old well that had been uncovered, sieved the soil, collected the seeds from the sieve, then studied those under a microscope. It allowed us to identify what plant species were most prevalent in that area at the time.
It was one of the more interesting classes I took during my career at university.

I have always been interested in gardening and herbalism. They are a couple of my special interests. I live in a place that was once famous for its herbal remedies, and just around my house I can identify around 30 medicinal/ useful herbs that I use pretty frequently. Because of the plantain, I haven't bought a band-aid in years. Because of mugwort, I no longer need mosquito spray. Because of dokudami (I don't know the English name, but perhaps its a variety of Lizard's tail), I no longer have to worry about my sinuses being clogged up like someone poured cement into my nostrils. I could go on haha. But yes, I am very interested in botany.

When I studied archaeology I had a class in archaeobotany. It was very interesting, we collected soil samples from a 700 year-old well that had been uncovered, sieved the soil, collected the seeds from the sieve, then studied those under a microscope. It allowed us to identify what plant species were most prevalent in that area at the time.
It was one of the more interesting classes I took during my career at university.

Wow, archeobotany sounds so interesting Bolletje. An old-timer told us this property used to be a dumping ground, so we’re always finding bits of crockery & such.

I have always been interested in gardening and herbalism. They are a couple of my special interests. I live in a place that was once famous for its herbal remedies, and just around my house I can identify around 30 medicinal/ useful herbs that I use pretty frequently. Because of the plantain, I haven't bought a band-aid in years. Because of mugwort, I no longer need mosquito spray. Because of dokudami (I don't know the English name, but perhaps its a variety of Lizard's tail), I no longer have to worry about my sinuses being clogged up like someone poured cement into my nostrils. I could go on haha. But yes, I am very interested in botany.

It’s amazing how much of these modern “conveniences” aren’t needed if us humans would simply look under our feet. I sampled the Malva Neglecta leaves & they taste like Romaine lettuce to me. Not bad for a volunteer plant I’d been struggling to pull because of a taproot that must run clear to China.

I don't have a particular interest in botany but I have to do a bit as part of my job. I have great respect for botanists, I just don't have the memory or patience for identifying plants!

I'm definitely going to look up mugwort now. I'm fairly certain that I have a bag of dried mugwort that was in a sampler set of herbs I purchased a while back. I haven't had a use for it yet. Thanks for the tip!

I like to learn the names of the wildflowers and trees in the areas near where I live. I find it really nice to be able to go for a walk or a drive and pass a bright purple spray of wildflowers and know that they're Dame's Rockets, for example, or to pass a smattering of pale blue wildflowers and know that they're cornflowers. I find that I get an enormous amount of satisfaction from knowing the names of the plants and trees that draw my attention, and it also makes me feel more connected to my surroundings.

I'm definitely going to look up mugwort now. I'm fairly certain that I have a bag of dried mugwort that was in a sampler set of herbs I purchased a while back. I haven't had a use for it yet. Thanks for the tip!
It only works when it's fresh to repel mosquitoes. You have to roll it in your palms till the oils start weeping out then apply it to your skin. Dried you can use it to repel moths, smoke as a tobacco substitute, or drink in a tea that will give you some very vivid dreams. It grows virtually everywhere except in the middle of deserts.

It only works when it's fresh to repel mosquitoes. You have to roll it in your palms till the oils start weeping out then apply it to your skin. Dried you can use it to repel moths, smoke as a tobacco substitute, or drink in a tea that will give you some very vivid dreams.

Oh, I didn't know that. That makes sense. I'll look into seeing if I can grow some either in the back yard around the edges or in pots on the back deck. I'm not particularly good with remembering to water plants, but perhaps they would survive in the back yard.

Oh, I didn't know that. That makes sense. I'll look into seeing if I can grow some either in the back yard around the edges or in pots on the back deck. I'm not particularly good with remembering to water plants, but perhaps they would survive in the back yard.
It is extremely hearty, it will grow just about anywhere, but it's kind of invasive, so probably best to grow in a big pot, same thing with any variety of mint.

I’m developing an interest in botany.

This morning I identified a weed in the garden as Malva Neglecta. The leaves, stalks, & seeds are all considered edible, according to my preliminary internet research.

It even produces fruit.

Other names of Malva Neglecta are buttonweed, cheeseplant, cheeseweed, dwarf mallow, roundleaf mallow, billy-buttons, common mallow, & low mallow. Just to name a few.

Ate salad of baby Malva Neglecta leaves, extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Tasty.

New Threads

Top Bottom